Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2021, 06:40:32 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Football Thread
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 69
: The Football Thread  ( 376063 )
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #225 : June 29, 2006, 08:28:14 AM »

Titoli, to me it seems that Seria A has always had ummm "interesting" games at the end of the season, sometimes shock results benefiting even the small teams.

The Juventus issue is interesting isn't it.  I heard some time back that there was every likelihood they could get relegated.  Was the suicide attempt by the actual manager, or a member of the management team?  And it is supposed to be unrelated isn't it?

Imagine the shoch though if Juve are relegated.  It will be the biggest shock in football since Marseile.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #226 : June 29, 2006, 09:19:52 AM »

Titoli, to me it seems that Seria A has always had ummm "interesting" games at the end of the season, sometimes shock results benefiting even the small teams.

What you're hinting at is common fare: if 2 teams at the end of the season have a common interest to lead a match to a draw not to be relegated or not to cause damage to a team that could sell them good players for the next season, an arrangement comes only natural, and I don't think it is so exceptional event to happen only in football or only in Italy.

The Juventus issue is interesting isn't it. 

No just that: I think this is the greatest scandal in the history of modern sports, even bigger than the famous one of the World Series in 1919.

I heard some time back that there was every likelihood they could get relegated.

That is what they wish for themselves: they have already said that in that case they wouldn't oppose the sentence in a common-law  tribunal. In all fairness they should be radiated and have to start in the lower, half-professional league.

Was the suicide attempt by the actual manager, or a member of the management team?  And it is supposed to be unrelated isn't it?

This is what I thought as soon as I heard the news. Then it was hinted that the reasons are personal and that consist in a case of depression. In any case I think that Football Federation investigators should pay him a visit. Will they?

Imagine the shoch though if Juve are relegated. 

The joy, also. I've been waiting for it since I started developing an interest in football. Can't stand cheaters, sorry.

Argentina 3 Teutschland 0

Sorry, but I think that germany has no chances and it would have been the best opponent for us to challenge in semi-finals, should we gain access. All experts here, though, say that Argentina is to be preferred to Germany as an opponent. Hope they're right.

Italy 1 Ukraine 0

« : June 29, 2006, 09:25:45 AM titoli »

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #227 : June 29, 2006, 09:32:24 AM »

Thanks Titoli.  A helpful insight!

Predictions time.....

Argentina 2 Germany 1
Italy 0 Ukraine 0 (Italy win on pens)

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #228 : June 29, 2006, 12:45:48 PM »

Argentina 2 Germany 1
Italy 1 Ukraine 0

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #229 : June 29, 2006, 03:08:04 PM »

Germany 2 Argentina 1
Italy 2 Ukraine 0

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #230 : June 30, 2006, 11:01:03 AM »

So Germany finally made it. Glad I was wrong. Anyway Argentina wasn't such a crack.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #231 : June 30, 2006, 11:20:40 AM »

I guess the tournament really is wide open now but who would want to play Germany now?Do they ever miss in a penalty shoot-out? :-\

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #232 : June 30, 2006, 02:37:26 PM »

Hey Titoli a nice easy ride for your team tonight without any yellow cards even.I don't think it will be plain sailing for England tommorow but with a weakened Portugal team we can have no excuses :-\

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #233 : June 30, 2006, 02:38:33 PM »

But even should we arrive at shootouts, we have a good goalkeeper, haven't we? (that goalkeeper might, BTW, find himself suspended for two years for the question of illegal betting).
No, I don't think we'll need those if we keep on getting better.  All the idiocies a german newspaper wrote last week about italians were just an attempt to muddle things up, make the players nervous and also preparing themselves for a probable defeat. Sure, there is no value established in this competition as all the teams are really at a low level phisically, anything can happen. Still the best teams all made it to the fourths with the exception of Spain. So I think we got on edge against adversaries who can count on public and referees, which is a lot but not much if we play our game.

England 2 Portugal 0
Brasil 1 France 2

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #234 : June 30, 2006, 02:43:20 PM »

It was not an easy ride, because we are far from our peak phisically. in the first part of second half we ran many risks and only a bit of luck prevented ukrainians from scoring. But we would have won anyway in the end, I think.
Tomorrow I think you shouldn't have problems against a decimated Portugal.   

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #235 : June 30, 2006, 02:43:34 PM »

Like England do you think Italy haven't really been tested by a true quality team so far?

England 3 Portugal 1
Brazil 2  France 2(France win on penalties)

Germany were definately helped by the referee today but i don't feel sorry for Argentina who aren't renowned for their "fair play" to say the least.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #236 : June 30, 2006, 02:45:26 PM »

It was not an easy ride
Ukraine had a couple of chances but Italy looked very comfortable to me throughout.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #237 : June 30, 2006, 03:01:43 PM »

Like England do you think Italy haven't really been tested by a true quality team so far?

Maybe. I'm not 100% sure. Argentina was judged best team of the tournament but against Germany didn't make such a big impression. Referee helped Germany? I've seen worse (much worse) and anyway there was a clear penalty for Germany denied. Maybe we will fall victim to the referee next tuesday, but when you're playing home the tournament a certain help it is only to be expected (want me to remind how England won in 1966?). Only way to do that is scoring fast and repeatedly and I think Italy can do it with a bit of luck.

England has a big chance, as Italy, to get to the semifinals without having spent many energies, which in a 3 week tournament are the most important factor. I think Rooney has recovered (as Totti: both are at 70-80 % of their potential) so you're in the best position to keep staying there next week.

To conclude, we might even discover that England and Italy are the best teams of the lot.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #238 : June 30, 2006, 03:08:04 PM »

want me to remind how England won in 1966
No thanks,but didn't Mussolini have a hand in Italys first two World Cup wins? ;D Anyway with a Russian linesman i don't think it mattered where England played West Germany.
I'd settle for an England v Italy final ;)

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #239 : June 30, 2006, 03:28:29 PM »

No thanks,but didn't Mussolini have a hand in Italys first two World Cup wins?

Uh? Never heard of this. And even assuming he had a hand in the first which was played in Italy, how could he arrange things in France?

I'd prefer a final with Brasil, but I doubt they will make it (well, I said the same about Germany...). With France we have an account to settle. With England it would be fun.

: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 69  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines