Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2021, 09:50:02 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Football Thread
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 69
: The Football Thread  ( 369055 )
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #360 : July 18, 2006, 08:51:14 AM »

Last year I dont remember the World Cup being mentioned at all but this year I have heard some buzz from the local news.
Maybe next year it will be even bigger. Quein Sabe?

Thats funny, i don't mean to have a go, but you do just remind me of the 2 american so called presenters on the budweiser adverts at the start of itv's coverage of the world cup this year.

The world cup is every 4 years, thats why you won't have heard anything last year, ha.

I don't know anything about the world series or american football, really so we are about even.

how funny.

sorry about the mix up. I didnt know it was every 4 years (though I shudda known).

I dont know much about American Football myself.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #361 : July 21, 2006, 04:50:27 AM »

The FIFA Zidane/Materazzi hearing was a bit of a pointless farce wasn't it?
Zidane banned for 3 games when he's already retired,and Materazzi unfairly punished for the sort of banter that occurs in every football match.
Is it really worth the £3000 0r £5000 fines which is just pocket money for players at that level?
Firecracker we also have the European Championships every 4 years,the South American(and Mexico) have their own equivalent.Does anything happen for the USA football team in between world cups? ::) 

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #362 : July 21, 2006, 05:26:33 AM »

There is a central American tournament which USA play in.  And I think on occasion they have been "invited" to play in the South American Championships.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #363 : July 21, 2006, 08:32:58 AM »

Copa America is the name of the tournament.

I think the decision about Zidane, whatever one may think about it, is dangerous should it be considered as a precedent. A player who does a foul can always claim (falsely) he was provoked. Or maybe, even without doing a foul, he can claim he was provoked. And, also, how is a provocation going to be established? And how many matches are going to be terminated 11 against 11 just because of foul language being used?.   
But in the decisions of FIFA (or UEFA) there is always an element of buffoonery that prevents them from being adopted. This is a one-time decision which will remain so, hopefully.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #364 : July 22, 2006, 12:38:56 AM »

There is a central American tournament which USA play in.  And I think on occasion they have been "invited" to play in the South American Championships.
I'm still amazed at how USA had a top 10 seeding prior to the world cup so i can only assume that they must have at least beaten one or two heavyweight countries to attain this ranking.I can't imagine them doing too well in the South American championship so perhaps they won the Copa America? ::)

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #365 : July 22, 2006, 12:50:24 AM »

Titoli hows the world cup euphoria going in Italy at the moment and how does it compare with 1982?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #366 : July 22, 2006, 01:01:22 AM »

The euphoria ebbed down after 2, 3 days. And though there was a huge event at Circo Massimo in Rome after the comeback of the team and some other smaller events in the places of birth of the players, I don't think it can be compared to what I witnessed in 1982. An example: the number of national flags exposed on the windows and terraces of apartments cannot even remotely compared to what it was in 1982 or to the even bigger number I saw (alas!) in 1970. In 1982 all kinds of people went down on the streets after the end of the match: that didn't happen this time.
And of course what on the second day everybody and all the sport radios were talking about is the sentence of the trial and the transfers (you saw what happened to the juventus players). As I write the second degree trial has started.  Next week we'll have the definitive sentence.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #367 : July 22, 2006, 03:55:12 AM »

Yes Italy's achievement on the football pitch in 1982 will really take some beating when you compare the matches they played.Up until Germany,Italy really had an easy ride this World Cup and winning the final on penalties cannot really compare with defeating West Germany 3-1(i think) in 1982.
The 1982 win totally transformed Italys standing,wellbeing and economy i understand? ::)

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #368 : July 22, 2006, 04:10:48 AM »

About Italy's economy and well-being, I don't know. Surely, not mine own. :(

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #369 : July 22, 2006, 04:18:53 AM »

About Italy's economy and well-being, I don't know. Surely, not mine own. :(
Well i guess you'd be better informed than the British news bulletins we get here,in the build up to the final the BBC were saying how 1982 totally transformed Italys fortunes.
Going back to the last world cup do you agree Italys high point was the 2 last minute goals in extra time to prevent a possible defeat on penalties by the Germans.
    There wasn't really a Tardelli moment for Italy this time round dontcha think?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #370 : July 22, 2006, 04:45:44 AM »

Well i guess you'd be better informed than the British news bulletins we get here,in the build up to the final the BBC were saying how 1982 totally transformed Italys fortunes.

The french media were doing the same, I think with more foundation: they had a very well-registered team. But both forget the players we had in that team: I was convinced (because it had already been seen 4 years before in Argentina) that we had the best team by far. The problem was to be allowed to find the right physical condition in the decisive 2 weeks. In Argentina they had found it too early and after a brilliant first round they lost their supremacy.   Actually I think we had the best teams in all the editions of world cup from 1978 to the last one with the exception of 1986 and 1994.

I was thinking the other day that no team between Argentina, Brasil, Italy and Germany (apart from Uruguay, the most winning national teams)  has ever beaten the other 3 to a title except Italy in 1982. Of course, after you had beaten that Brasil team (probably the best of the last 35 years: some brasilians say the best ever) the match against Germany was considered a formality: just take into consideration how nobody lost his mind after the missed penalty in the first few minutes: the italian players knew they were unbeatable. Really, the sufferance of the match against Brasil (3-2: for Brasil a draw was enough to qualify for the semifinals) made the possible tension of the match against Germany a joke. Nobody in Italy, in the stadium and on the field thought (if not, maybe, for a matter of superstition) that they could lose against Germany.

I think the high point was rather the penalty Totti shot against Australia: you need balls to do that, man!  Against Germany everybody saw that Germany was never going to score and that the manager in the overtime made something he never did in his career, i.e. to play with 4 strikers like Brazil because he knew that the germany defense was end-of-the-line. But at the shootout I don't think we would have started with a disadvantage, as we have the best goalkeeper in the world (and, believe it or no, goalkeeper n.2 is on the same level if not better).  (In spite of that, though, I didn't find the guts to watch the shootout live).   

About the Tardelli moment, 3 or 4 days ago Fox sports made a hit list of the best moments in sports (which is only  2 inches short of ridiculous: just figure that you don't have any black sportsman in it, but there's a horse instead!) and  they have included, confirming the absolute ignorance of football by the americans, Grosso.

Apparently, anyway, you missed this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPyu-C5mdHs

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #371 : July 22, 2006, 05:07:05 AM »

Apparently, anyway, you missed this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPyu-C5mdHs

I dont think anybody could possibly miss that.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #372 : July 22, 2006, 05:14:02 AM »

Haha i like it.What was the thumb sucking all about?
Is this really the high point because Australia were never gonna score in that game and i'm sure Italy would've beaten them in extra time even with ten men.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #373 : July 22, 2006, 05:36:09 AM »

Haha i like it.What was the thumb sucking all about?

Frankly, I don't know. I heard 2 or 3 different versions, so I presume it is an inside joke.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« #374 : July 22, 2006, 05:58:11 AM »

What was the thumb sucking all about?

Was he thinking of his Mama? Mama mio?

« : July 22, 2006, 06:00:13 AM Juan Miranda »

: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 69  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines