Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2021, 11:15:11 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Football Thread
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 69
: The Football Thread  ( 369149 )
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #435 : September 14, 2006, 05:03:07 AM »

Just to demonstrate more what a total joke the FIFA rankings are i've just learnt that England have been promoted to 4th place (above 5th placed newly crowned world champions Italy) based on us beating a mediocre Greece in a friendly,thrashing part timers Andora and barely just managing to defeat a very average Macedonia.
Have FIFA forgotten already just how crap England performed in Germany? :o

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #436 : September 14, 2006, 05:25:29 AM »

Before the World Champioship Italy was ranked 12, after a great football power like  USA...Now we're 5th? good, hope we make it to number 12 before South Africa.

This is a monkeying of rankings of other disciplines, like tennis, which have  a real necessity for this kind of crap. The problem is that football has nothing to do with them, but of course at FIFA they don't know it. They don't know that the force of a national team can be checked only in official competitions, because the test matches have no value whatever and the clubs don't give their players to the national teams gladly.
 Another monkeying of other sports is the number of jerseys from 00 to 99 and the chance to retire the jerseys themselves. This is ridiculous and annoying because in football, before this idiocy, the number on the jersey indicated the role the player was playing in. And then the major teams (both clubs and national ones) have had more than one player playing with the  same number.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #437 : October 12, 2006, 09:47:53 PM »

Banjo, what's he taking notes about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abioqGXPQdU&mode=related&search=

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #438 : October 13, 2006, 03:54:31 AM »

Perhaps he's working out his excuses for the worst and most depressing England performance i've seen in living memory but even as an Englishman i had to laugh at that own goal ;D
Did we get rid of Sven too early,he only lost one qualifier all the time he was in charge and McClaren has equalled that already? :(
Theres even talk of bring back David Beckham :o
Good to see Italy back on track because otherwise i can see Scotland qualifying and England not,and that would never do,would it? ;)

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #439 : October 13, 2006, 05:00:05 AM »

We're not back on track yet, though results are OK. Anyway, believe me, I find more exhilarating the fact of him taking notes after a goal like that, than the goal itself. BTW, is McClaren scottish?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #440 : October 13, 2006, 07:56:59 AM »

BTW, is McClaren scottish?
Don't think so.
On a surname basis some have already claimed that Rooney should be playing for Ireland and Owen for Wales ::)

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #441 : October 13, 2006, 02:26:23 PM »

Who knows, maybe that was a devious way to say they shouldn't play with England at all...
Anyway, I think any team can lose against Croatia. It's the draw with Macedonia which should cause more worry, though I haven't see both matches. But that goes to prove that football is unpredictable, especially only a few months after a WC.
A question: is Robinson really the best english goalkeeper?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #442 : November 15, 2006, 07:39:51 AM »

I don't really watch any of the Premiership enough nowadays to suggest who really is the best. :-[ David Seaman was a good goalie but we haven't had a truly great keeper since the likes of Peter Shilton and Ray Clemence.
Tonights friendly prediction:-
 Holland 3
 England 1

I'm already despondent with McClaren so i hope i'm proved wrong,and get well soon Michael Owen-you are badly needed!!
Are Italy playing tonight Titoli?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #443 : November 15, 2006, 09:09:16 AM »

Yes, a test match against Turkey to honour the demise last month of Giacinto Facchetti. All new faces. Small value.

Well, it's sad if you can't come up with a better goalkepper: I just can't imagine what the other ones are like! And I'm not saying this because of the blooper in the last match, but because of what I saw of him at the WC, when he was shown visibly afraid in front of the violence of a shoot: I never saw a goalkeeper doing that in 40 years of watching matches!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #444 : November 17, 2006, 05:20:50 AM »

when he was shown visibly afraid in front of the violence of a shoot: I never saw a goalkeeper doing that in 40 years of watching matches!
I agree and it really is a dire situation for England if our best keepers are Robinson and David (Calamity) James!
     As expected last Wednesday there was nothing to get excited about with the dire 1-1 draw and Holland were even worse than England :o
   I didn't catch how the Italy v Turkey match went ::)   

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #445 : November 17, 2006, 06:36:32 AM »

Well, that's how it went:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJpHeZIk5Kc

It would seem like Robinson has a distant cousin in Turkey...

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #446 : March 28, 2007, 02:43:48 PM »

What the hell is going on with the England team at the moment?Unable to break down a mediocre Israel last weekend and tonight an extremely poor performance against Andorra-the 3-0 scoreline (all scored late on in the game with 2 being individual efforts)was in no way an accurate reflection of Englands lack of ideas,ambition or confidence.
I can't quite pin it down to Steve McClarens ineptitude as coach or whether the players are a bunch of overpaid prima-donnas.I'm beginning to view the Sven years as a golden age and we're even missing Beckham.
Titoli,a good result tonight but i didn't see the game.Are your team back on track?I know its a hard life being world champs and all that! ;D 

Tuco the ugly

« #447 : March 28, 2007, 02:56:34 PM »

Don't get me wrong Banjo,England sure has a magnificent team on paper,but when they start playing all the magic is gone.Strange stuff,they have the Holland sindrome I'd say...

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #448 : March 28, 2007, 02:58:53 PM »

Of course the most important thing is that Monday is Opening Day at Yankee Stadium  O0

(Also surprised about a thread that is not about anything to do with film is in the top 10 Threads with most posts.  :o

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #449 : March 30, 2007, 12:30:21 AM »

(Also surprised about a thread that is not about anything to do with film is in the top 10 Threads with most posts.  :o
Thats the universal appeal of the "beautiful game"! ;)

Just wait until the next Euro/World Cup finals and it'll be number 1 O0

Anyway i'm not sure some of the other top 10 topics Gossipy Pub,Beautiful Women or History photo's are much to do with movies either! ;D

« : March 30, 2007, 12:37:27 AM Banjo »
: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 69  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines