Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2021, 11:42:07 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Football Thread
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 69
: The Football Thread  ( 369210 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #450 : March 30, 2007, 08:14:39 AM »

LA's message should be canceled from this thread: this is enemy's propaganda, though ineffective (if americans couldn't export in Europe their travesty of a game at a time when they were the unisputed model for every kind of mass escapism there must be a reason).

About the other day's match, had it been played last year after the WC it would have ended differently. Now the new manager is getting his bearings and made the right choices, waiting for Totti to come back in September. The players had their head on the match (this was the main factor) and the result was that Scotland made , maybe, only a half-shot to our goal  throughout the match, while Italy could have laid them waste. Scotland is a low-middle-level team, I don't think it's as good as Ukraine, though it is a better team than it was in the past as the players have generally a better individual technique and are better tactical understanding oif the game.

But everybody here is waiting for wednesday's CL' round: we have SAF's pups  to deal with. what do you think, Banjo? I've seen MU's people faces after the couplings and the were all glad they had Rome, judged to be above only PSV . Also, on a MU's forum they already see themselves in the final vs. Liverpool. What they do not even suspect is that over here everybody was happy we crossed our path with United: we're gonna be seen throughout the world.  And hopefully the referees aren't going to hail us with yellow cards as they did against Lyon, maybe to ingratiate themselves to the new UEFA president. Anyway, I think MU's fans are in for a surprise: I'm curious to see their defense against our attack. And I'm afraid they know very little about our defense (though we have some injury problem partly due to the referee in the away match with Lyon).

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #451 : March 30, 2007, 02:50:28 PM »

LA's message should be canceled from this thread: this is enemy's propaganda, though ineffective (if americans couldn't export in Europe their travesty of a game at a time when they were the unisputed model for every kind of mass escapism there must be a reason).

About the other day's match, had it been played last year after the WC it would have ended differently. Now the new manager is getting his bearings and made the right choices, waiting for Totti to come back in September. The players had their head on the match (this was the main factor) and the result was that Scotland made , maybe, only a half-shot to our goal  throughout the match, while Italy could have laid them waste. Scotland is a low-middle-level team, I don't think it's as good as Ukraine, though it is a better team than it was in the past as the players have generally a better individual technique and are better tactical understanding oif the game.

But everybody here is waiting for wednesday's CL' round: we have SAF's pups  to deal with. what do you think, Banjo? I've seen MU's people faces after the couplings and the were all glad they had Rome, judged to be above only PSV . Also, on a MU's forum they already see themselves in the final vs. Liverpool. What they do not even suspect is that over here everybody was happy we crossed our path with United: we're gonna be seen throughout the world.  And hopefully the referees aren't going to hail us with yellow cards as they did against Lyon, maybe to ingratiate themselves to the new UEFA president. Anyway, I think MU's fans are in for a surprise: I'm curious to see their defense against our attack. And I'm afraid they know very little about our defense (though we have some injury problem partly due to the referee in the away match with Lyon).
Yes Amercican Football is rugby for fairies talking of which it was great seeing Italys historic double victory in the Rugby Six Nations though i suspect you're not in the slightest bit interested Titoli though i heard that its non-violence amongst Italian sports fan goes very much appreciated especially in light of the tragic recent events in Italian domestic football-how has this hooliganism problem (very much like Britain in the 1980's :()been addressed  Titoli?
I didn't see highlights of the Italy v Scotland match though i suspect that on current form Scotland would take England to the cleaners.It seems that we no longer have a reliable English striker and have to rely on our midfielders for goals-a fact not helped by most of the Premiership top scorers being overseas players.
     Yes i think Man Utd will find Roma a completely different kettle of fish to their Premiership rivals (that idiot Wayne Rooney can't cope with tight marking)and as usual like the majority of non-trophy hunting English football fans i'll be cheering on the opposition. O0

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #452 : March 30, 2007, 02:54:22 PM »

it's baseball not Football I was talking about  ;) . I couldn't help a little post and I apologise but stand by my views  ^-^

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #453 : March 30, 2007, 04:27:28 PM »

As for preofessional reasons I get in touch with all the supporters coming to my city to see the matches, I got interested in rugby. But very little. The fact is that a sport played professionally only in ten nations (assuming Italy as part of these ten, which is dubious, as the best players, like the argentinian, have to go to play abroad to earn respectable wages ) cannot be taken seriously. Otherwise we should take seriously baseball (played only in North America, central america and Japan)  or american football (played only in USA). And Italy is still playing with foreign players. That isn't fair. Of course rugby won't ever be popular like football. But maybe not even like basketball.

Are you going to see the match next wednesday? Rooney won't be tight marked, that's not the way Rome plays. But of course I'm referring to the marking you can find in Italy. which is not what you find in England, where the marking is rather loose. But I think the very decisive factor will be how the Utd defense will cope with Rome attack: I'm expecially curious about how they're gonna cope with Mancini. I never saw United play as I don't have no satellite tv, but I'm told that their defense is old and slow. This is what Mancini, in an inspired day, can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfbQ5U_Pu14&mode=related&search=

Of course Ronaldo can do about the same, so the problem is to see what the defenses can do against this kind of players. The weak spot of Rome is a short bench; and the yellow cards they got in the first match against Lyon (9! some were invented by the referee, like the one given to Totti) are going to play a heavy role expecially if the referee is gonna play primadonna. But I gather that Utd bench too isn't that good as well, is it?

(In Italy we share the same habit of going against italian teams playing in Europe. Actually my best sensations were those I got supporting european teams playing against Juventus, the main enemy: last summer everybody saw why).

About the violence, they did practically nothing.  As they did for the fixed matches scandal.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #454 : March 31, 2007, 08:44:24 AM »

As for preofessional reasons I get in touch with all the supporters coming to my city to see the matches, I got interested in rugby. But very little. The fact is that a sport played professionally only in ten nations (assuming Italy as part of these ten, which is dubious, as the best players, like the argentinian, have to go to play abroad to earn respectable wages ) cannot be taken seriously. Otherwise we should take seriously baseball (played only in North America, central america and Japan)  or american football (played only in USA). And Italy is still playing with foreign players. That isn't fair. Of course rugby won't ever be popular like football. But maybe not even like basketball.

Are you going to see the match next wednesday? Rooney won't be tight marked, that's not the way Rome plays. But of course I'm referring to the marking you can find in Italy. which is not what you find in England, where the marking is rather loose. But I think the very decisive factor will be how the Utd defense will cope with Rome attack: I'm expecially curious about how they're gonna cope with Mancini. I never saw United play as I don't have no satellite tv, but I'm told that their defense is old and slow. This is what Mancini, in an inspired day, can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfbQ5U_Pu14&mode=related&search=

Of course Ronaldo can do about the same, so the problem is to see what the defenses can do against this kind of players. The weak spot of Rome is a short bench; and the yellow cards they got in the first match against Lyon (9! some were invented by the referee, like the one given to Totti) are going to play a heavy role expecially if the referee is gonna play primadonna. But I gather that Utd bench too isn't that good as well, is it?

(In Italy we share the same habit of going against italian teams playing in Europe. Actually my best sensations were those I got supporting european teams playing against Juventus, the main enemy: last summer everybody saw why).

About the violence, they did practically nothing.  As they did for the fixed matches scandal.

To be honest being a supporter of a lower division team(Brighton & Hove Albion) i never bother watching Premiership sides full of overpaid prima donna's  plus theres nothing worse than seeing a crowd of smug Man Utd fans celebrating their teams goals especially considering the huge financial disadvantage most teams have that play Man Utd or Chelsea but i'm gonna make a point of watching next Wednesdays game.
Viva Roma!
BTW Rugby Union is universally played for there to be a world cup held every 4 years.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #455 : April 01, 2007, 03:13:20 AM »

BTW Rugby Union is universally played for there to be a world cup held every 4 years.

The fact that a game is universally played means nothing. Even american football is played in Italy, with a championship of sorts. What counts is how many proifessional leagues you can find around the world.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #456 : April 01, 2007, 04:43:26 AM »

Are you sure that rugby union is only played professional by about 10 countries?

Outside of the 6 European nations there's of course New Zealand,Australia and South Africa but i'm sure its popular enough in other countries such as Argentina,Canada,Japan,Fiji ,Tonga,and Samoa for there to be professional leagues.Not sure how to check this but at least there seems to be a representation for rugby union in every continent.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #457 : April 02, 2007, 07:18:15 AM »

Are you sure that rugby union is only played professional by about 10 countries?

You tell me,you're the expert. Anyway don't expect me to take seriously in any team sport Tonga, Fiji, Samoa or Faroer (we're gonna have a match with the last named for Euro 2008 next June). Sure Argentina must have a championship of sorts, like Italy, that's why I named 10 nations. But their best players, if they want to see money, must play abroad.  About Japan, well, they take everything.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #458 : April 04, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »

Half-time score :-

Roma 1(Taddei) Man Utd 0 :D

Looking good Titoli but i'd say Roma need another couple to virtually seal a semi-final place and with Scholes sent off i fancy their chances.

And Chelsea are 1-0 down to Valencia too!! ;D

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #459 : April 04, 2007, 01:51:50 PM »

Result:-

Roma 2(Taddei,Vucinic) Man Utd 1(Rooney)

Looks like Man Utd were let off the hook slightly and its a pity Totti hit the post :(
Have to say though that Rooneys goal was absolutely outstanding.Why can't he do this for England?

It looks all set for a tantilising 2nd leg.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #460 : April 04, 2007, 02:42:22 PM »

No offence,but its all to do with that padding! ^-^

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #461 : April 04, 2007, 03:07:47 PM »

No my best friend plays rugby.  We play it over here too
I wouldn't exactly call myself a fairy but i'd never play rugby or American footie.Much too rough!! ;D

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #462 : April 04, 2007, 03:32:51 PM »

Roma took some risk when playing 11 against 10 ("Sir" Alex F*ckofferguson ranting against the referee saying his team played 10 against 12: did you have that impression, Banjo?). it was no luck because we were hit in a fast-break actilon. But you have to take the risk anyway, playing with the back up, even against a Ronaldo. In a way I'd have maybe preferred a 1-1. We run the risk in the away match not to play concentrated, waiting for United instead of attacking a team which has an italian b-league defense. I hope the manager will work on the players to convince them to put pressure on Utd instead of waiting for them.
Anyway, Banjo, I presume you enjoyed the match. I wasn't particularly stricken by Rooney's goal: it was Ronaldo who confirmed what a great player he is: the goal is all his. I presume MU doesn't play that way in Englend (I'm talking before Scholes red). Were you surprised?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #463 : April 04, 2007, 04:28:50 PM »

It seems like United's fans agree with SAF's opinions on the referee (thank God some roma's fan can answer them):

http://www.redcafe.net/showthread.php?t=149626

I had always thought that it was only we italians who took it with the refree when losing... 

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #464 : April 05, 2007, 05:51:50 AM »

Roma took some risk when playing 11 against 10 ("Sir" Alex F*ckofferguson ranting against the referee saying his team played 10 against 12: did you have that impression, Banjo?). it was no luck because we were hit in a fast-break actilon. But you have to take the risk anyway, playing with the back up, even against a Ronaldo. In a way I'd have maybe preferred a 1-1. We run the risk in the away match not to play concentrated, waiting for United instead of attacking a team which has an italian b-league defense. I hope the manager will work on the players to convince them to put pressure on Utd instead of waiting for them.
Anyway, Banjo, I presume you enjoyed the match. I wasn't particularly stricken by Rooney's goal: it was Ronaldo who confirmed what a great player he is: the goal is all his. I presume MU doesn't play that way in Englend (I'm talking before Scholes red). Were you surprised?
"Sir" Alex F* ,yes the old bag figurehead hands out her crummy knighthoods to any Tom,Dick or Harry nowadays it seems and apart from his reasonable success(considering their massive financial advantage) for Man Urinal with his apparent alcoholism and violent conduct in the dressing room (Sven would never have thrown a boot at Beckhams head)he's hardly a role model for any decent Brit to look up to!
How Ferguson has the gall to complain about a referee bias when its well known fact that an away team is never awarded a penalty at Old Trafford is beyond me.Having said that the British commentary mentioned a "history" with that certain referee including Roy Keane being sent off against Porto in a previous Champions League fixture,but anyway i didn't have a problem with the ref,afterall a Roma forward got yellow carded for diving in the box.Ferguson as usual is a poor loser,its as simple as that.
Ronaldo is MU's best player though its hard to like him too much with Englands world cup exit still firmly in the memory and yes he had a major hand in the goal but Rooneys level headed finishing was pure class.
I missed Scholes first yellow card because Mrs Banjo sent me running down the road for fish 'n' chips/beer just before the game started and i neglected to watch the replay at half time because i logged on here,but i enjoyed the sending off.I don't usually watch MU in Premiership games but grudgingly i have to admit that their response after being reduced to 10 men was admirable but i still want Roma to make it to the semi's 100%

« : April 05, 2007, 06:07:49 AM Banjo »
: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 69  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines