Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2021, 10:02:41 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Football Thread
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 69
: The Football Thread  ( 369066 )
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #465 : April 05, 2007, 06:02:28 AM »

It seems like United's fans agree with SAF's opinions on the referee (thank God some roma's fan can answer them):

http://www.redcafe.net/showthread.php?t=149626

I had always thought that it was only we italians who took it with the refree when losing... 
Ha,ha that site is what i'd call a moderators nightmare. ;D

Ferguson (and i guess most of his armchair glory hunting supporters who probably couldn't pinpoint Manchester on a map) is famous for blaming defeat on anything but his team and there's been a few laughable ones including MU's grey away strip when his players had trouble picking out their team mates! :D

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #466 : April 05, 2007, 06:38:54 AM »

About italians (expecially romans) taking it with the referee, of course I forgot to add they were proven right last summer...
Anyway I'm looking forward to Tuesday match, gonna be fun: i'm curious to know what MU is gonna do. I think that Ferguson won't push up on pressure. He knew what it was waiting for his team, in spite of all the crap he said. In facts yesterday, even before the red to Scholes, MU was playing conservatively. And it makes me laugh when people said he showed guts not to put a defender when in 10: he just showed he's no fool (and a lucky one at that).

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #467 : April 05, 2007, 07:01:26 AM »

As you know I have next to no knowledge of football (see I didn't say soccer despite temptation) but from what I saw in the news last night the Italian police went overboard. They were reporting that there will be some investigations into police behaviour. Anything been brought out from that or did the fans deserve it?

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #468 : April 05, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »

I was about to post on this news. I think first of all one should know all the facts and not just being indignant at images of "fans" being beaten by police. It seems (I've heard roman radios today and read some newspapers: I usually don't) that about 1500 english "fans", all of them without a ticket and all on their cups (this goes without saying, does it?)  were allowed by the authority into the stadium. This happened because the authority thought it expedient not to let them at large into the city, drunk and angry. I think it was a mistake, but that's that. After the match started they just limited themselves to taunt verbally the Rome fans near them. After the red card and expecially after Rome goal they started throwing all kinds of stuff at the ROme supporters (some said  some bottles were thrown at them with yellow liquid inside that it was not tea. I can easily believe it as I remember well in 1999 or 2000, when there was a match England-Italy, some english "fan" relieving himself against a wall like no passers by were around him in one of the most populated areas of the town). Now, we have all kind of british fans coming to Rome and nothing ever happens. Onlt with english football supporters this kind of problems invariably surface. And each time the english authorities defend them (though I would like to know what would happen if 1500 rome supporters would arrive drunk in front of OT next week: shall I tell it?). I think the english authorities, or the people who speak for them, should be ashamed.   

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #469 : April 06, 2007, 04:17:39 AM »

About italians (expecially romans) taking it with the referee, of course I forgot to add they were proven right last summer...
Anyway I'm looking forward to Tuesday match, gonna be fun: i'm curious to know what MU is gonna do. I think that Ferguson won't push up on pressure. He knew what it was waiting for his team, in spite of all the crap he said. In facts yesterday, even before the red to Scholes, MU was playing conservatively. And it makes me laugh when people said he showed guts not to put a defender when in 10: he just showed he's no fool (and a lucky one at that).
You mean the Zidane incident? ;D

Yes i'd say the tie is even stephens at the moment and i'm looking forward to the 2nd leg.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #470 : April 06, 2007, 04:26:05 AM »

I was about to post on this news. I think first of all one should know all the facts and not just being indignant at images of "fans" being beaten by police. It seems (I've heard roman radios today and read some newspapers: I usually don't) that about 1500 english "fans", all of them without a ticket and all on their cups (this goes without saying, does it?)  were allowed by the authority into the stadium. This happened because the authority thought it expedient not to let them at large into the city, drunk and angry. I think it was a mistake, but that's that. After the match started they just limited themselves to taunt verbally the Rome fans near them. After the red card and expecially after Rome goal they started throwing all kinds of stuff at the ROme supporters (some said  some bottles were thrown at them with yellow liquid inside that it was not tea. I can easily believe it as I remember well in 1999 or 2000, when there was a match England-Italy, some english "fan" relieving himself against a wall like no passers by were around him in one of the most populated areas of the town). Now, we have all kind of british fans coming to Rome and nothing ever happens. Onlt with english football supporters this kind of problems invariably surface. And each time the english authorities defend them (though I would like to know what would happen if 1500 rome supporters would arrive drunk in front of OT next week: shall I tell it?). I think the english authorities, or the people who speak for them, should be ashamed.   
I can well believe what happened Titoli but i'd say that hooliganism is an unfortunate disease that affects most European nations(and others worldwide) it seems ,including Italy where i understand football for a short period was cancelled recently following deaths.But i think its fair to say that some country's police force's are more adept at dealing with this problem during European fixtures than others.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #471 : April 06, 2007, 08:56:58 AM »

I wasn't complainig about english popular newspapers doing all that brouhaha about what happened (did they do the same about yesterday's events in Seville, BYW?). They have to sell their crap and foster the prejudices of the poor fools who buy it. No, I was complainig about the official authorities (which surely do know better about this kind of problem) siding with this scum (this happened also 8 years ago). Actually, I think that these folks shouldn't haven't be allowed to leave England and, assuming some arrived in Rome, these should have been sent back home without being allowed to leave the airport once they couldn't produce a ticket for the match. I can't believe the Interpol don't know them by name each and everyone. So I can't understand how these things can happen. And when I see policemen cracking their sawdust heads, sure I do not cringe: sorry folks.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #472 : April 06, 2007, 09:29:23 AM »

Actually, I think that these folks shouldn't haven't be allowed to leave England and, assuming some arrived in Rome, these should have been sent back home without being allowed to leave the airport once they couldn't produce a ticket for the match. I can't believe the Interpol don't know them by name each and everyone. So I can't understand how these things can happen. And when I see policemen cracking their sawdust heads, sure I do not cringe: sorry folks.
I agree.Many British thugs are entering  the continent and getting away with murder simply because they can't now in the UK where on the whole we've beaten the problem.I'm sure that Interpol have been sending back the known idiots but of course there's plenty more that haven't been detected  :(
   I'm curious Titoli but why do Italian grounds allow fireworks in the terraces?In the UK its a criminal offence to light such a device in public.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #473 : April 06, 2007, 02:34:39 PM »

They aren't allowed. At least those of the dangerous kind. In facts every year in the days before NYE there are lots of requisitions by police. But of course what can you do about fools buying it?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #474 : April 07, 2007, 05:07:52 AM »

They aren't allowed. At least those of the dangerous kind.
So not all flares are dangerous?

When i see these fireworks being let off during a game it always strikes me as being provocative to the opposing fans.What do you think Titoli?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #475 : April 07, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »

You mean something different, i.e. the fireworks in the stadiums. About 30 years ago a supporter of Rome's "other" team (Lazio) was killed by a rocket shot from the opposite stand by a Roma "supporter" (an idiot, I'd rather call him: he had the young age on his side to partially redeem his act). From then on all kinds of laws (the last one three months ago) have been decreed forbidding this kind of gimmicks, to no avail. One of the reasons I don't like going to live matches it is because I don't like the idiots who let them explode ("flare" it is not the right term, I presume). I also don't like drumming to intone the choirs, which starts 2 hours before the match. And I don't like all kinds of organized supporting. That's why I watch football on TV: I like the game but I don't like the way supporting the teams has developed from the early '70's on. 
And as long as there are people who complain about policemen beating innocent supporters we won't resolve the question (I'm not referring only to recent event: unfortunately this goes also for italian politicians who draw, or think they do, support among local hooligans).     I don't particularly like policemen's mentality and acting (never did, actually), but if the alternative is power to morons, then I'm left with no choice.

Anyway, today MU lost, while Roma (stuffed with 2nd liners) won. Hope it means what I saw last Wednesday. I'm really looking forward to Tuesday match, is gonna be a thrilling one. And I bet whatever that SAF ain't gonna  tell his players to start full speed ahead. Whaddaya think?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #476 : April 09, 2007, 04:20:36 AM »

You mean something different, i.e. the fireworks in the stadiums. About 30 years ago a supporter of Rome's "other" team (Lazio) was killed by a rocket shot from the opposite stand by a Roma "supporter" (an idiot, I'd rather call him: he had the young age on his side to partially redeem his act). From then on all kinds of laws (the last one three months ago) have been decreed forbidding this kind of gimmicks, to no avail. One of the reasons I don't like going to live matches it is because I don't like the idiots who let them explode ("flare" it is not the right term, I presume). I also don't like drumming to intone the choirs, which starts 2 hours before the match. And I don't like all kinds of organized supporting. That's why I watch football on TV: I like the game but I don't like the way supporting the teams has developed from the early '70's on. 
And as long as there are people who complain about policemen beating innocent supporters we won't resolve the question (I'm not referring only to recent event: unfortunately this goes also for italian politicians who draw, or think they do, support among local hooligans).     I don't particularly like policemen's mentality and acting (never did, actually), but if the alternative is power to morons, then I'm left with no choice.

Anyway, today MU lost, while Roma (stuffed with 2nd liners) won. Hope it means what I saw last Wednesday. I'm really looking forward to Tuesday match, is gonna be a thrilling one. And I bet whatever that SAF ain't gonna  tell his players to start full speed ahead. Whaddaya think?
I say "flares" because these fireworks light up like a flare but its a shame that police on the continent aren't more stringent at catching the idiots who smuggle in these devices.Don't they have CCTV in Italian grounds to pick these people out?,and if they are caught they should then receive a life ban from all football grounds-this sort of measure is probably as good a deterrent as you can get in the UK.
I never really experienced any hooligan trouble when i used to support Brighton & Hove Albion home and away a few years ago as i'd usually stick with a laid back friendly bunch that would stick to the quieter bars before the games though there are certain supporters i've had to be wary of ie Crystal Palace,Portsmouth,Leeds,Chelsea,Cardiff(the xenophobic Welsh fans are the most frightening!).Keeping a low profile's the best policy though really it shouldn't be like that.Most of the British police at grounds seem to be OK chaps but like any professional there's a few bad apples and i've witnessed some unneccessarily heavy handed ones.But i'm in agreement about it's better to have order in the hands of some dodgy policemen rather than football thugs.
Yes i love it when MU lose and predictably SAF put it down to last Wednesdays defeat ;D But unfortnately he's a wily old fox so i wouldn't like to say what the outcome will be in the 2nd leg but i can't see MU sitting on the backburner.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #477 : April 09, 2007, 10:18:59 AM »

I know I'm alone there, even with fellow Roma supporters. I think that MU must keep adrenalin and pace low to have more chances. So I hope all of you are right. We'll see tomorrow.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #478 : April 09, 2007, 02:22:14 PM »

I know I'm alone there, even with fellow Roma supporters. I think that MU must keep adrenalin and pace low to have more chances. So I hope all of you are right. We'll see tomorrow.
C'mon Roma O0

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #479 : April 10, 2007, 03:50:14 PM »

We made history tonight. Humiliation is the fit word for the result: 7-1. Explanation? it is hard to explain something like this. But there are two options. The psychological one and the technical one. I think that is easily the second one. We had no runners. We could patch up the absence of one, two runners but not of the third. Everybody was frightened when we heard that Taddei (the one who scored the first goal in the home game). The rest was made by Totti tragical physical condition and Mancini's absent-mindedness. As I have said in a former post, we have a short bench and tonight it showed. 
I was right in supposing MU wouldn't push on the pedal in the first minutes. They did after the first goal which our goalkeeper did little to stop.

Hope we'll make better next year.

: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 69  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines