Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2021, 11:19:48 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Football Thread
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 69
: The Football Thread  ( 369183 )
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #495 : May 19, 2007, 04:17:37 PM »

Titoli did you happen to watch that snoozefast masquerading as an FA Cup final at the new Wembley Stadium earlier today?Well at least Drogba's goal was worth the wait.

Anyway i'm looking forward to next Wednesdays CL final which i trust will be a lot more exciting.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #496 : May 19, 2007, 09:30:34 PM »

No, I didn't. I'm rather watching America's Cup Regattas. I don't think I'm gonna watch wednesday's finale too.
BTW, A.S. Roma won the national cup last Thursday.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #497 : May 20, 2007, 03:35:49 AM »

No, I didn't. I'm rather watching America's Cup Regattas. I don't think I'm gonna watch wednesday's finale too.
BTW, A.S. Roma won the national cup last Thursday.
Hey thought you were a fan of the English style  :o which is just as well as it was the worst final i've seen in years.

Well done to Roma O0  Is that Italy's equivalent to the FA Cup?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #498 : May 21, 2007, 04:29:11 AM »

Nominally. The formula doesn't allow little teams to make much headway as you have a home and away match. In fact, after years of diminishing audiences they will change it. But in the home match two wendesdays ago we won 6-2 in the home match against Inter. The cup isn't not even remotely as important as the scudetto, but is the second national football competition anyway. It is bound to augment his status if they will adopt the english FA cup formula and, most of all, if the winner will have granted a slot in CL.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #499 : May 21, 2007, 08:36:01 AM »

The National Cup sounds very much like our Carling Cup(formerly the League Cup) which totally lacks the charm and magic of the FA Cup which allows all non-League to also participate allowing plenty of scope for fairy tale heroics.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #500 : May 21, 2007, 08:53:15 AM »

Well, you can't also ignore that is the oldest football competition. But fact is that the italian football authorities (people who earn princely rewards to keep the football world going) have not understood the simple fact that they should take the english model to make the competition go.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #501 : May 21, 2007, 09:26:18 AM »

Us English can't play the game very well but we're very good at inventing competitions! ;)

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #502 : May 24, 2007, 01:04:12 AM »

AC Milan 2 Liverpool 1

And for the 2nd time in 3 seasons the 2nd best team won! ;D

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #503 : May 24, 2007, 06:08:32 AM »

Don't you think that the title of this thread should be changed?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #504 : May 24, 2007, 06:34:30 AM »

What to?

European/World Football maybe?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #505 : July 23, 2007, 04:03:45 PM »

Well Banjo, our autumn almanac it's just about to begin, but let's talk about this Beckham business. He gets all that money to do precisely what? I am really befuddled about all the money he's gonna bring home. Can his permanence in MLS generate as much? Can he help football growing in USA? I doubt it. But maybe they hope to get even by selling jerseys?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #506 : July 23, 2007, 04:09:32 PM »

Hadn't noticed your answer to my former request, sorry.
Anyway it depends on you, it's your thread: just make it more general, less specific. 

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #507 : October 05, 2007, 03:06:18 AM »

Sorry Titoli i haven't looked on this thread in ages but the whole USA Beckham phenonmenon is a joke.As a player he's barely world class nowadays and is trading purely on his superstar looks and celebrity,i hear he's already buddied up with the likes of Tom Cruise.

If the likes of Pele,Bobby Moore and George Best,all true greats,couldn't convert the American public to football in the 1970's then Beckham has no chance,but obviously he's more concerned with dollar signs than anything else.

I find the whole business a tedious bore.LA Galaxy have more money than sense.

BTW i had to go out last Tuesday so i missed Romas loss to MU.Was it a fair result?

Oh yes whats the general reaction in Italy to the "Dida" incident  a couple of days ago?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DZviLX37sMY

I'm not sure who commited the bigger crime,the idiot on the pitch or Dida's girlish play acting. ;D

« : October 05, 2007, 03:07:27 AM Banjo »
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

« #508 : October 05, 2007, 11:48:22 AM »

Sorry Titoli i haven't looked on this thread in ages but the whole USA Beckham phenonmenon is a joke.As a player he's barely world class nowadays and is trading purely on his superstar looks and celebrity,i hear he's already buddied up with the likes of Tom Cruise.

The first game he played with LA, an exhibition with Chelsea I think, was funny.  The whole game the TV cameras just focused on Victoria, Katie Holmes, Cruise's wife, and Eva Longoria.  The commentators kept making fun of Posh because she was wearing sunglasses in a luxury suite with the sun setting.

I agree though that this whole thing is overblown.  But if it gets more Americans interested in soccer, I'm all for it.  I've been to a couple Fire games and they are fun to watch, but most people just can't get into the sport. :'(

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #509 : October 05, 2007, 01:06:16 PM »

BTW i had to go out last Tuesday so i missed Romas loss to MU.Was it a fair result?

No, we should have won but we missed easy score occasions and were denied a clear penalty. No big deal, though: we'll even up things at a later date.

About the Dida incident, it is embarassing to everyone. The idiot is less culpable than the Milan player: he's an idiot, the other one is a cheater whom I hope won't hbe disqualified: as Milan adversaries we prefer to have Dida playing.

: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 69  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines