Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2021, 02:13:14 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Western video games: good, bad or ugly?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Western video games: good, bad or ugly?  ( 2050 )
JamesK
Bandido

« : December 18, 2005, 08:24:16 AM »

Despite that fact that the western is an almost infinitely malleable genre, and one that almost everyone worldwide responds to in some fashion, video game developers don’t see much potential in it. Only three games have, of late, even made an attempt at reviving the western, and all are deeply flawed in some way or another: Dead Man's Hand, Red Dead Revolver and, now, Gun.

There's news that The Good, the Bad and the Ugly will make the transition to video games next year, though considering some of the clunkers Bits Studios has produced, I don't have high hopes.

So what's going on?  Can it really be that hard to make a genuinely good game featuring the western genre?  And what would it take to make a western game "good," in your opinion?

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
JamesK
Bandido

« #1 : December 18, 2005, 08:29:24 AM »

Oh, and for those who remember it: the old Capcom arcade game, Gunsmoke, is in the bargain-priced Capcom Classics Collection, along with a bunch of other games.  Damn, I loved Gunsmoke when I was a kid.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
Beebs

« #2 : December 18, 2005, 08:49:10 AM »

What makes a good game is being able to get into a quick game as well a story line (and if it follows one of my favorite movies, then, hell, bring it on) A game with a tie to me like the tie between GBU and me would give me more insentive to play the game with passion no matter what the quality as long as it is the Good the Bad and the Ugly game not just a whole new western with the same title.

There needs to be the good oldfasioned bounty hunter and his weapons, the peacemaker, the Dragoon, the Henry rifle, the sharps, and the noose. No morbid horror movie deformed faces, just keep to the classic hansome hero and mangy Mexican bandit.  No long greasy blonde hair and bulging eyes with the scar across the left cheek. Just make it look like the movie and I'll be happy to pay 100 dollars to buy it and play it.

That's what I want in a Western.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines