Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 30, 2021, 12:08:36 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18
: Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)  ( 108312 )
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #135 : August 04, 2009, 10:18:28 AM »

Jack Lemmon won Best Actor for something called "Save the Tiger". ???

Yes, I also looked it up... Never heard of it. Although that doesn't mean much with me.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #136 : August 04, 2009, 12:33:44 PM »

Why is it that so many great actors don't get it?  :( Or not for their greatest role.

But really, Billy not bleeding is strange. Sam was not called Bloody Sam for nothing... maybe he was like: "They'll expect a LOT of blood, so I'll be aesthetic, heh heh!"  :P

"Does this unit have a soul?"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #137 : August 04, 2009, 01:42:46 PM »

Why is it that so many great actors don't get it?  :( Or not for their greatest role.

And great directors. It's all the same with other artists, too, I hear...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #138 : August 05, 2009, 03:10:56 PM »

Save the Tiger is a good movie with a great Lemmon performance. Not his best one (that is - for me - Some Like It Hot), but one of his best. Surely worth an Oscar, though i can't remember the other contenders.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #139 : August 05, 2009, 04:14:46 PM »

Brando - Last Tango in Paris
Redford - The Sting
Pacino - Serpico
Nicholson - I don't recall, look it up

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #140 : August 05, 2009, 11:24:16 PM »

Nicholson - I don't recall, look it up

The Last Detail I think.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #141 : September 08, 2009, 07:33:18 PM »

Can't say I'm bothered by cut lines from LQ Jones in his death scene. I find the scene annoying, especially the fact that LQ flagrantly violates Tuco's Law.

There's a problem with this assertion which bugged me as I was reading through the thread (again). To my way of thinking, Q's character is deliberately trying to distract Garrett with his chatter, so as to catch Garrett off-guard when he does get a shot at him. This seems pretty obvious to me if you pay attention to the scene, and reading it at such, it would be an inversion of Tuco's Law.

« : September 08, 2009, 07:36:10 PM Groggy »

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #142 : January 03, 2010, 04:21:19 AM »

About the 2005 version of PG&BtK:

The 2 biggest mistakes Paul Seydor made was to restore the theatrical credits, instead of using the preview credits, and not to return to the 1909 framing shots, which are there to close the circle. And the whole film is in it's episodical structure about circles.

These are 2 ideas nobody else would have done besides Seydor.

His best ideas are the earlier presenting of the raft scene and the including of the Knocking on Heaven's door lyrics, both like it was done in the 73 cut.
All the other changes are debatable for me.

I also think that some of the violence wasn't cut in the way Peckinpah has done this before. But Seydor hasn't tried to change it. An example is the Billy and Alias shooting of Chisum's men after the turkey chase. Here several slo mo shots are presented as a whole, whereas Peckinpah had them mostly (always?) intercut with other shots.

I had seen for many years only the theatrical version, and it was always Peckinpah's second masterwork for me. Due to it's episodical structure the film wasn't as damaged as Major Dundee (still is) and the shorter versions of the Wild Bunch. It wasn't as complex as the longer versions, but PG&BtK already worked in this version. And you could see what it was about, you only had to look a bit closer.

When I first saw the Turner cut I was a bit disappointed as the film had, apart from the new opening scene, not improved as much as I had it expected. I still think the pacing of the Turner cut is not good, and that's why I prefer the Seydor version. Even if some beautiful moments are gone, the film leaves a much greater impact.

I would cut some of the violence different, I would use of course the preview credits and the preview ending, and I would maybe put some minor pieces back to the Seydor cut. Especially some of the violence like Billy's 2nd shot on the already dead Ollinger.
Then it would be perfect. Unfortunately this all will never happen.

sargatanas
Gunslinger

« #143 : March 13, 2010, 02:59:41 AM »

orginally, sam wanted roger miller to do the sountrack. kriss kristofferson phoned bob to come down to the  set.
at first, sam didn't know or like dylan who took sam  took sam into a corner and played knockin on heaven's door. peckinpah emerged w/ tears yelling SIGN THIS KID UP !  the rest is western movie making history.
 O0
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070518/

« : March 13, 2010, 03:07:59 AM BTW »
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #144 : March 13, 2010, 03:05:33 AM »

Never heard about that! Cool :)  O0

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #145 : March 13, 2010, 03:41:23 AM »

except he sort of sucks in the film as an actor, soundtrack is good though.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #146 : March 13, 2010, 03:52:11 AM »

Well I don't think his acting causes the film to suffer in any way, although his strength is certainly in the soundtrack.

sargatanas
Gunslinger

« #147 : March 13, 2010, 08:38:14 AM »

rambling robert zimmerman made his film debut in PGABTK. he jerks his head around a lot and does what he's told  ???

« : March 13, 2010, 03:30:51 PM BTW »
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #148 : March 13, 2010, 09:45:33 PM »

Well I don't think his acting causes the film to suffer in any way, although his strength is certainly in the soundtrack.

Well I agree with this. Sorta.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #149 : March 14, 2010, 02:25:10 AM »

If he wasn't there at all I wouldn't have missed him.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines