Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2024, 09:47:47 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  John Ford's view
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: John Ford's view  ( 6734 )
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« : March 18, 2006, 09:40:29 PM »

I've always wondered about this but I wonder what John Ford thought of Sergio Leone's westerns. Does anyone know what Ford thought of them? I know Peckinpah poked fun at Leone ( " he sure loves them close-ups " ) but what about Ford? Or maybe even John Wayne?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : March 18, 2006, 09:57:48 PM »

I know John Wayne didn't like them, they supposedly based bounty killer Dan Nodeen (Christofer George) after the NWNN character in Chisum.

From "the Life & Times of the Western Movie" Jay Hyams.

"Such foreign mercenaries had no place in Wayne's West, and Nodeen is exposed as a coward. "the hell with this" he says, running away as soon as the battle gets tough.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #2 : March 19, 2006, 12:57:38 AM »

I know John Wayne didn't like them

To hell with John Wayne!!!! ;D

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #3 : March 19, 2006, 06:33:08 AM »

I don't think Ford ever saw them, he apparently didn't even know they existed were it not for Burt Kennedy (who brought Leone up during an interview) and Woody Strode (getting Ford to sign a picture for Leone).  I seriously doubt he would've liked them, though.

I don't know, for that matter, if there were much any American directors of the time who liked or even just respected Leone.  I wouldn't be surprised by Peckinpah's comments, Leone was always bitter that he allegedly refused to direct DYS and considered him a rival of sorts.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #4 : March 19, 2006, 07:24:37 AM »

John Ford never liked working in 'scope (though he worked with one of the biggest, Cinemrama in his segment of How The West Was Won) so it would have been interesting to hear his comments on Leone's use of the widescreen format, framing mise-en-scene etc.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Joe_Bob

« #5 : March 22, 2006, 04:12:41 PM »

In a somewhat related topic, I know that Clint Eastwood screened High Plains Drifter for Wayne and his comment was that it was "Un-American".

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #6 : March 22, 2006, 04:31:12 PM »

John Wayne believed in the all-american west where good guys wore white hats, bad guys wore black hats, there was ALWAYS an annoying damsel in distress, indians were evil, and pretty much every annoying cliche the american western had to offer. I love all westerns but the spaghettis are SOOOO much better, realistic, and cool.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #7 : March 22, 2006, 05:19:30 PM »

I love all westerns but the spaghettis are SOOOO much better, realistic, and cool.

exactly how I feel.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

« #8 : March 22, 2006, 05:45:47 PM »

I agree that at times spaghetti's have a hold over their Hollywood counterparts but I also think this situation is reversed (at least IMO). My favourite film is OUATITW but I also favour the works of Ford, Hawks, Mann and others over other spaghetti's.

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

« #9 : March 23, 2006, 01:02:02 AM »

The Leone's are better and cooler than any other Westerns.

More feeling.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #10 : March 23, 2006, 05:55:33 AM »

I agree that at times spaghetti's have a hold over their Hollywood counterparts but I also think this situation is reversed (at least IMO). My favourite film is OUATITW but I also favour the works of Ford, Hawks, Mann and others over other spaghetti's.

Seeing enough of the non-Leone SW's I'm almost to the point now where I think we could almost eliminate the SW-AW tags and just consider them as stand alone Westerns on their own merits, In my opinion the top 10-15 SW's do still have an edge, with maybe a few AW's squeaking into that top 15, but after that the production values precipitate off a cliff, lol, and the SW start looking like bad third rate TV shows with extreemly bad dubbing, and dopey storylines whose only redeeming features are the realistic action, a few over the top scenes, and the scores.

Of AW's that I think are well made, innovative, and or SW influenced I would have to put these on a list in no particular order (and I'm probably forgetting a few):

Hombre
The Wild Bunch
The Professionals
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Soldier Blue
High Plains Drifter
Unforgiven
Barquero
The Long Riders
Doc
Tombstone
Dead Man

Of Pre SW AW's of course the films of Ford, Mann, Hathaway, Hawks, Boetticher are top notch for the mileu in which they were made and a few other directors could also be included here:

My Darlin' Clementine
The Searchers
Hondo
The Far Country
Bend in the River
Nevada Smith
The Big Sky
Red River
Seven Men From Now

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

« #11 : March 23, 2006, 06:09:41 AM »

I agree with your lists there Joe, I especially love the westerns and noirs or Mann.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines