Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 13, 2024, 03:24:57 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Barry Lyndon (1975)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
: Barry Lyndon (1975)  ( 39399 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #60 : January 28, 2010, 08:37:59 PM »

Probably a few months ago I watched it recently. Its just a beautiful film I can watch it and get lost in the visuals every time.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Sonny
Bounty Killer

« #61 : January 28, 2010, 08:53:37 PM »

Yeah, it's very visually enjoyable to watch. I don't think that's all there is to it, since it does present an anti-heroic character who's own decision lead to his personal downfall and degeneration. Even so, I wouldn't be able to compare it with any Leone film. Comparing Leone with any director is fruitless, and saying that Kubrick was trying to make a SW with Barry Lyndon is intriguing, but not very accurate. BL is quite simply a period pieece with an anti-heroic character, as depicted in the novel.

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #62 : January 28, 2010, 09:06:40 PM »

If you haven't try and watch Tom Jones as a companion piece, its a different style but very effective also.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #63 : July 17, 2017, 04:47:35 PM »

Criterion:
•New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
•New documentary featuring cast and crew interviews as well as excerpts from a 1976 audio interview with director Stanley Kubrick
•New program about the film’s groundbreaking visuals, featuring focus puller Douglas Milsome and gaffer Lou Bogue, as well as excerpts from a 1980 interview with cinematographer John Alcott
•New program about Academy Award–winning production designer Ken Adam with historian Sir Christopher Frayling
•New interview with editor Anthony Lawson
•French television interview from 1976 with Oscar-winning costume designer Ulla-Britt Söderlund
•New interview with critic Michel Ciment
•New interview with actor Leon Vitali about the 5.1 surround soundtrack, which he cosupervised
•New piece analyzing the fine-art-inspired aesthetics of the film with art curator Adam Eaker
•PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and two pieces about the film from the March 1976 issue of American Cinematographer

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #64 : September 19, 2017, 10:46:54 AM »

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews54/barry_lyndon_blu-ray.htm

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #65 : September 19, 2017, 05:42:24 PM »

Wow - this looks great. A beautifully shot film.

The interview with Tony Lawson might be interesting too - I remember reading an interview once where he described his role as being little more than "a pair of hands" for Kubrick.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #66 : July 22, 2021, 07:30:52 AM »

Just saw the movie for the first time

Beautiful to look at. Many shots looks like they could be a painting. (Though something is off about the candlelight shots.) Barry is not likeable in any way. He?s not a charming scoundrel. Just a plain and simple scoundrel. The narration kills any tension. This is pretty much all about the images. 7.5/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #67 : July 23, 2021, 09:29:18 AM »

Just saw the movie for the first time

Beautiful to look at. Many shots looks like they could be a painting. (Though something is off about the candlelight shots.) Barry is not likeable in any way. He?s not a charming scoundrel. Just a plain and simple scoundrel. The narration kills any tension. This is pretty much all about the images. 7.5/10
No, it's pretty much all about Kubrick trying to out-Leone Leone. And there's a lot of tension in that last duel. That last duel, btw, is Kubrick's invention--it isn't in Thackeray (if I remember correctly, the kid catches up with Barry and just gives him a thrashing).

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #68 : July 23, 2021, 10:28:39 AM »

Barry is not likeable in any way. He?s not a charming scoundrel. Just a plain and simple scoundrel.

Well that's a bit more complex than that. He isn't a scoundrel at the begining, he's just a naive guy. And then bad things happen to him that he didn't deserve.
Then he slowly turns into a scoundrel (arguably for survival at first, but he ends up doing way more than just fighting for survival) and everything works out for him. As soon as he gets something he really care for (and in a pure way), his son, everything falls appart. Then in the end, during the duel, he comits his very first disinterested move: he doesn't shoot his son in law. Which definitely doesn't turn out great for him. The funny thing about Barry Lyndon is that whatever happens to him seems unfair to the viewer: bad things happen when he doesn't deserve them and good thing happen when he definitely doesn't deserve them.

So no, he isn't likeable at all, but the (utterly Kubrikian) symetry between the undeserved good and bad things that happen to him create something more interesting for me than just making me like or dislike him. I end up with some weird, distanced and semi-ironic empathy for mankind. Which is what the film tries to achieve and why it's a great movie (despite everything).

The narration kills any tension.

It actually kills more than that, it kills most emotion (remember how the narration quickly desmises the love affair he has with the lonely peasant?).
Once again: weird, distanced and semi-ironic empathy for mankind. That's what the narration does to a receptive viewer.

Then again it took me 3 or 4 viewings to really get what the movie was trying to do. At first I was only seing a bleak, nihilist world. But i kept coming back to this movie, because I knew there was something in it that was deeper than that.

« : July 23, 2021, 10:32:02 AM noodles_leone »

: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines