Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2021, 08:26:13 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Naked Spur (1953)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: The Naked Spur (1953)  ( 12075 )
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #15 : May 21, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »

Yeah, the picture quality on the DVD was pretty bad. I think the TCM print I saw previously was better, to be honest.

Man, reading my earlier post on this thread... what was I saying about not being a big fan of Mann? :D

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #16 : August 17, 2021, 01:38:59 PM »

September 21. Hopefully, remastered or re-somethinged: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CV8MBDG/ref=sr_1_6?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #17 : August 23, 2021, 01:59:46 PM »

As the only person here that loves this movie (maybe Stanton likes it too?), great news.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18 : August 23, 2021, 02:54:14 PM »

Of course I do, and I doubt that we are the only ones. It's a classic 50s western and deservedly so.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19 : September 22, 2021, 06:21:24 AM »

Video: 4.5/5

The Naked Spur appears on Blu-ray (at long last!) in its original 1:37.1 screen aspect ratio. This transfer is a revelation since every earlier rendition on home video has suffered from poor contrasts and color as well as registration errors baked in from the original three-strip technicolor. The clarity of the screen images is sublime, with nice fine detail perceptible as well as gradations of depth in shadows and blacks. Colors appear faithful and true to a three-strip technicolor feature produced in 1952.  The visual splendor of this feature is certainly enhanced by the location filming in Durango, Colorado and the beautiful San Juan Mountains.
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/the-naked-spur-blu-ray-review/

I hope this is true. My copy is supposed to arrive tomorrow, and I'll check it then.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #20 : September 22, 2021, 04:17:41 PM »

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/the-naked-spur-blu-ray-review/

I hope this is true. My copy is supposed to arrive tomorrow, and I'll check it then.

Without having any real knowledge of how this movie was shot, it does look like one of those 50's technicolor movies where the quality could take a huge jump on bluray. You can tell from the DVD or watching it on TCM that it has more of a 3-Strip feel, though it wasn't shot in that format.

Edit: The movie was shot in 3-strip, my fault.

« : September 28, 2021, 11:30:10 AM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #21 : September 23, 2021, 08:50:33 AM »

In da house, and spinning! Looks fabulous.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #22 : September 26, 2021, 10:38:01 AM »

Warner Archive once again works their restorative magic with The Naked Spur, a three-strip Technicolor beauty that fizzled on DVD with an extremely poor picture that wasn't far above VHS quality. Fans will rejoice upon first sight of this stunning new 1080p transfer, which pushes format limits to the extreme with a gorgeous, purist-friendly appearance that highlights the stunning Colorado and California location footage in great detail. Shot in the waning days of 1.37:1 (the first Cinemascope film, 20th Century Fox's The Robe, premiered just seven months later) The Naked Spur features tight and beautifully-framed compositions that regularly take full advantage of height-impacted locations -- such as the early cliff climb -- while, of course, sacrificing the natural width of its picturesque landscapes. No matter: the carefully-controlled color and contrast do most of the driving here, and they're represented perfectly from start to finish with bold primaries, accurate skin tones, and soft but rich black levels that run deep with no perceivable crush. Dirt and debris are virtually absent from start to finish, thanks to the boutique label's careful application of manual cleanup that preserves an ideal theatrical appearance without compromising The Naked Spur's natural texture.

Film grain, as expected, appears very tight since excessive noise reduction has not been applied here, while the Blu-ray itself runs at an extremely high bit rate on this dual-layered disc. Overall, it's top-tier work as usual for the boutique label, which has a long and extremely consistent history of producing some of the best-looking catalog titles on Blu-ray. If that doesn't convince you, this review's accompanying screenshots should speak for themselves.
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Naked-Spur-Blu-ray/79913/#Review

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines