Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 26, 2022, 04:38:19 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Leone Films that might have been.
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Leone Films that might have been.  ( 3983 )
redrum
Chicken Thief

« : August 19, 2006, 02:48:15 AM »

Franksgrandson got me thinking about remakes of Leone films and I dont think it should even be contemplated not least because it would be impossible to improve on them (so what would be the point). Leone`s films were personal to him, and made for our enjoyment of his vision, his version of the west and not like so many other films like the teen horror genre that are a product, off the shelf if you like and made simply to cater for a market and thus to make money.  I think it a more interesting point for members would be to imagine if Leone were alive what sort of films would he be making now, what classics would he have made in the intervening years since his death? I personally would have loved to have seen him make something far removed from cowboys and gangsters, perhaps a period piece. What would be great is if more people could appreciate leone`s films on the big screen such as the recent NFT screenings, I can honestly say hand on heart that watching GBU on the big screen, as intended was like watching a new film, so much more to see and appreciate, even better knowing tuco was sat a few rows to my left! Get them on the big screen!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : August 19, 2006, 04:20:14 AM »

very true, perhaps he would have done a noir also.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

« #2 : August 19, 2006, 07:18:12 AM »

I can honestly say hand on heart that watching GBU on the big screen, as intended was like watching a new film, so much more to see and appreciate, even better knowing tuco was sat a few rows to my left! Get them on the big screen!

From your lips to God's ear ;)

franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

« #3 : August 19, 2006, 10:19:49 AM »

This is a good question to pose redrum, what do we know in the first place, Leningrad was planned but due to Leone's death never got much off the starting blocks but I think we would all agree that a war film by the master would have been the war film of all time in size, realisium and blood, Saving Private Ryan would have struggled to keep the pace up with Leone, but saying that although Speilberg gets a lot of stick re the kind of movies he makes I always thought Schindlers List was a Leone type of movie one that he would have made even if the Leone attempt would have been more gruesome.
so here's a couple of films to express the type of films Leone could have made if he had not departed from us
Leningrad (war)
Schindlers List (war)
El Alamain(war)
Independance day (scfi)
Lord of the Rings (scfi)
The Fugitive (cop chase)
To Live and Die in LA (COP)
Grand Canyon (sentimental)
The Green River Killer (Leone on slasher horror)
Last of the Mohicans

and last a film about China but in what format I can't think.
One thing though from all Leone's talk about arty stuff I think he would have steered well away from that type of movie he was a director who did the biggest and the best and a little arty flick would not have been his taste

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
redrum
Chicken Thief

« #4 : August 19, 2006, 01:47:58 PM »

Great list Franksgrandson, I would agree with most of your choices and especially good to see that classic, Grand Canyon, a fantastic film in it`s own right but what would it have been with Leone at the helm (no disresoect intended to Kasdan) what with those closing scenes at Grand Canyon Leone would have lingered a little longer I feel. My own personal favourite dream would be to see a film on the greatest racehorse all of time, Red Rum, who won the Grand national three times. Now that would have been great in Leone`s hands. It`s very sad to think of the loss to filmmaking and film lovers by Leone`s premature death.

franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

« #5 : August 19, 2006, 03:21:55 PM »

Redrum I like the idea of a Grand National film about the great horse won some money twice on the darlin.
What Leone could have done with the race sequences, the National back in Red Rums time was so much harder and dangerous it was really a race that took man and beast to the limits and often over the years proved to be a killer to horse and man alike, the shots Leone would have done as racers came over Beeches, Valenties, the Chair ect would have had your heart in your mouth.
The story of Red rum the perfect little race horse that only really turned it on at the National.
I love it.

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
Jon0

« #6 : August 19, 2006, 08:29:08 PM »

How do you guys think the Godfather might have been different had Leone agreed to direct? :)

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #7 : August 19, 2006, 08:48:59 PM »

How do you guys think the Godfather might have been different had Leone agreed to direct? :)

It would've been VERY different. I think it would've been better because he would've focused a lot more on the individual, rather than the family, which I like a lot.

But I like The Godfather the way it is. It's one of the greatest films of all time. One thing Copolla and Leone have in common, and I noticed this in the Godfather Trilogy, is the close attention to detail.

Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

« #8 : August 22, 2006, 01:08:53 AM »

From the pace, the introvert angles, the nostalgia, the longing, the personal tragedies in OUATIW, DYS, and OUATIA, I'd say he'd have longed to do a movie like Visconti's "the Leopard". Or Bertolucci's "1900" (it would have been good then). Movies to put up there among the real "artsy" directors. In the Panteon, is where he would like others to see him. He would have made "Heaven's Gate" a much better film, not necessarily shorter, but better. His films would always have had that European feeling, and he would have made movies from scripts that transmit such possibilities - time, characters, essence... He would make movies with a Terrence Malick-feeling. But again, they would be better.

Or he would have made movies of his Rome, like Fellini.

He would perhaps have made movies somewhat like Wim Wenders - "Paris, Texas", "Don't Come Knocking", "Wings of Desire" (NOT THE US VERSION!!) - but with a bit more plot in them, and perhaps scenes with bigger cinematographic scenery from time to time. But it's never "just" that with Leone. Not at all.

And it would not have been beyond him to take on a project like Kieslowski's "Dekalog"
http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/d/decalogue.html
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092337/

Or a TV-epic like "Heimat"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087400/

Or perhaps even a film like "Europa" (Zentropa):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101829/

I mean, I get scared when suggested that Leone might have done "Independence Day" or "Lord of the Rings". Scared.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines