Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 01, 2021, 03:11:58 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Santa Sangre
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Santa Sangre  ( 4292 )
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

« : October 20, 2006, 01:50:48 AM »

For the first time in years I have been totally blown away by a film.

Yesterday in an underground film club I watched Santa Sangre by Alejandro Jodorowsky on the big screen - from DVD allright, but what a magnificent transfer from Anchor Bay.

Why haven't I seen this film before? Why isn't it recognized as a modern masterpice? I want to see it again  - I have been thinking about it all day today.

I don't even wanna start to describe or explain - this one is a gem!

Sad thing about this underground film club is that they also put on a lot of trash and exploitation, and some of the younger audience, being used to this, obvioulsy thought that this was meant to be "funny" in a trashy or campy kind of way. Laughed out loud all the time so that the rest of us would get that they distanced themselves from the film. The sad thing is that they didn't get the movie at all. This is moving, horrifying and beautiful stuff with some extremely haunting images - the most beautiful photograhed film I've seen in years.

Gotta get the DVD, project it on my wall, and listen to that magnificent soundtrack without being bothered by annoying ignorant runts who think they know about films. They don't know art from camp, obviously - admitted, it's a fine line at times, but with Santa Sangre... man, this is pure cinematographic art. Literally like nothing you have ever seen before - as far away from the Hollywood formulae as one can imagine. But still coherent.

I knew Jodorowsky's comics were great, some of the best (John Difool), but I had no idea his films were like this! Gotta get Holy Mountain too.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

« #1 : October 20, 2006, 02:29:25 AM »

For the first time in years I have been totally blown away by a film.

Yesterday in an underground film club I watched Santa Sangre by Alejandro Jodorowsky on the big screen - from DVD allright, but what a magnificent transfer from Anchor Bay.

Why haven't I seen this film before? Why isn't it recognized as a modern masterpice? I want to see it again  - I have been thinking about it all day today.

I don't even wanna start to describe or explain - this one is a gem!

Sad thing about this underground film club is that they also put on a lot of trash and exploitation, and some of the younger audience, being used to this, obvioulsy thought that this was meant to be "funny" in a trashy or campy kind of way. Laughed out loud all the time so that the rest of us would get that they distanced themselves from the film. The sad thing is that they didn't get the movie at all. This is moving, horrifying and beautiful stuff with some extremely haunting images - the most beautiful photograhed film I've seen in years.

Gotta get the DVD, project it on my wall, and listen to that magnificent soundtrack without being bothered by annoying ignorant runts who think they know about films. They don't know art from camp, obviously - admitted, it's a fine line at times, but with Santa Sangre... man, this is pure cinematographic art. Literally like nothing you have ever seen before - as far away from the Hollywood formulae as one can imagine. But still coherent.

I knew Jodorowsky's comics were great, some of the best (John Difool), but I had no idea his films were like this! Gotta get Holy Mountain too.

I'm glad to know there's somebody who can share the fascination about this film. This film grabs you from the beginning. From that magificent shot of the bird's eye view flying image till the last scene. Comparing to his early films like El Topo and Holly Mountain, this is not dogmatic but purely poetic and nightmarish. Though its theme is not new, the storytelling is truly one and only Jodorowsky style. This certainly deserves more recognition.   

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : October 22, 2006, 07:24:22 PM »

Just watched it a few minutes ago, it is very bizzare, loaded with surreal images and you are right it should recieve more recognition it reminds me more of David Lynch and Fellini than what I've seen of of Jodorowski before his "El Topo".

Very cool

I also have "The Holy Mountain" to view tomorrow.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #3 : October 22, 2006, 11:02:12 PM »

Just watched it a few minutes ago, it is very bizzare, loaded with surreal images and you are right it should recieve more recognition it reminds me more of David Lynch and Fellini than what I've seen of of Jodorowski before his "El Topo".

Very cool

I also have "The Holy Mountain" to view tomorrow.

"Santa Sangre" reminds me of Fellini too. Especially use of the circus.

Jodorwsky is essentially a hunter of images. Do you remember the striptease scene? The costume the stripper is wearing is a typical school uniform of Japanese girls. Jodorowsky got an inspiration for that scene when he saw a striptease in Japan.

Let me know what you think of Holly Mountain. 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #4 : October 23, 2006, 05:09:43 PM »

Holy Mountain was more like El Topo, very iconographic, though of course not Western Iconography as in the first part of El Topo. Strange and intriguing, and of course with just one viewing, pretty indescribeable.
 ::)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #5 : October 24, 2006, 01:33:30 PM »

Holy Mountain was more like El Topo, very iconographic, though of course not Western Iconography as in the first part of El Topo. Strange and intriguing, and of course with just one viewing, pretty indescribeable.
 ::)

True. Like El Topo, Holy Mountain is a social, political and religious satire. First half of the film is a flood of amazing images.

Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

« #6 : October 31, 2006, 07:36:56 AM »

Well, I still haven't found Holy Mountain (haven't looked really) yet - but it's good to know that it's waiting for me....

Let me promote the idea of a Jodorowsky Box Set Extravaganza with Holy Mountain, El Topo and Santa Sangre and loads of extras on his surreal work in European comics. And still images from the films. And interviews. That's what I want. He's currently involved, among many other things, in this western comic - with the excellent artist Boucq:

It's called Bouncer. And it's not childrens' stuff.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #7 : October 31, 2006, 04:21:44 PM »

Bouncer looks good.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #8 : November 02, 2006, 09:40:33 AM »

Well, I still haven't found Holy Mountain (haven't looked really) yet - but it's good to know that it's waiting for me....

Let me promote the idea of a Jodorowsky Box Set Extravaganza with Holy Mountain, El Topo and Santa Sangre and loads of extras on his surreal work in European comics. And still images from the films. And interviews. That's what I want. He's currently involved, among many other things, in this western comic - with the excellent artist Boucq:

That's a great artwork. Thanks for uploading it, Blueberry.

A box set of Jodowsky has been released in Japan in 2003. It contains four films; "Fando and Lis (first film)", "El Topo", "Holly Mountain", "Santa Sangre", interview, and tarot cards designed by Jodowsky!

For details, you can check Japanese Amazon site:  http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00009CHBV/sr=1-1/qid=1162484420/ref=sr_1_1/503-9160346-0268736?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines