Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 26, 2021, 10:27:44 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Black or Blue?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Black or Blue?  ( 5660 )
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« : July 06, 2006, 07:11:26 PM »

I noticed that even though Frank's outfit toward the end of the movie appears to be black, when Frank walks into some sunny areas it looks very blue. Is it a difference in lighting or what?

CISCO

« #1 : July 06, 2006, 07:55:46 PM »

I noticed that even though Frank's outfit toward the end of the movie appears to be black, when Frank walks into some sunny areas it looks very blue. Is it a difference in lighting or what?
funny. i've noticed it also . but until you're post it didn't dawn on me.
2 possibilities come to mind.  maybe towards the end of the film frank's costume had to have been washed , that is , if one or two costumes fonda wore got dirty or
dusty during filming. the color black would fade as frank's costume was always spotless , untill that nasty little red hole harmonica put there. 

the other might just be your best guess which would be the lighting.
another thing is maybe frank's costume is a very dark blue making  it look black when lighting was adjusted
thru the camera lens. 

or, is it another eccentricity of leone's telling us it is over for frank , as well as the old west....fade to blue ? 
anyway, good observation my friend.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #2 : July 06, 2006, 08:01:54 PM »

funny. i've noticed it also . but until you're post it didn't dawn on me.
2 possibilities come to mind.  maybe towards the end of the film frank's costume had to have been washed , that is , if one or two costumes fonda wore got dirty or
dusty during filming. the color black would fade as frank's costume was always spotless , untill that nasty little red hole harmonica put there. 

the other might just be your best guess which would be the lighting.
another thing is maybe frank's costume is a very dark blue making  it look black when lighting was adjusted
thru the camera lens. 

or, is it another eccentricity of leone's telling us it is over for frank , as well as the old west....fade to blue ? 
anyway, good observation my friend.

Good theories. It could also be different costumes, look the same but color is slighty off.

franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

« #3 : July 09, 2006, 03:44:01 PM »

if you look real careful you will also note that at one point when Fonda walks towards the final dual his gear looks brown, I can also see the blue and it all must come down to ambient light or camera angle at the costume was black

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #4 : July 10, 2006, 09:15:35 AM »

Are you guys using the colors on the DVD as your points of reference? What guarantee is there that the color timings are accurate or consistent? To be sure, you have to watch a copy of the print, otherwise all this speculation may be about nothing.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #5 : December 07, 2006, 11:42:32 AM »

Only if the saying is the same in Italian, which I doubt.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« #6 : December 07, 2006, 05:48:37 PM »

I have a very nice suit which looks black in most light situations. However, usually in very bright sunlight it let's me down and reveals that in fact its actually a very very... very dark blue. I'm a bit annoyed when people notice this, and I'm not even a sociopathic child murderer. Even worse, I have green eyes, so the two just clash... what a faux pas.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #7 : December 07, 2006, 08:18:32 PM »

Yeah, I know what you mean. Black's my favorite color.  8)

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #8 : December 07, 2006, 10:56:46 PM »

Yeah, I know what you mean. Black's my favorite color.  8)

Mine not... but I know this, too. Not as a faux pas, because I don't care about it too much and have blueish eyes... ;D ... and actually I think I don't have such clothes.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

« #9 : December 08, 2006, 12:59:22 AM »

I saw the actual costume of Frank at the Leone Exhibit last year. It was like dark gray and black but not blue. If it looks bluish, it could be because of color timing.

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #10 : December 09, 2006, 03:44:15 PM »

I saw the actual costume of Frank at the Leone Exhibit last year. It was like dark gray and black but not blue. If it looks bluish, it could be because of color timing.

You're so lucky. I wanted to see that exhibit, but it was 3000 miles away.

Did you see Frank's hat too? I loved that black, flat-brimmed hat.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

« #11 : December 09, 2006, 06:49:25 PM »

You're so lucky. I wanted to see that exhibit, but it was 3000 miles away.

Did you see Frank's hat too? I loved that black, flat-brimmed hat.

Too bad you missed the great exhibit.

I don't remember seeing Franks's hat. There were Clint's poncho, boots, costumes for Cardinale and Coburn. 

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #12 : December 10, 2006, 06:53:24 PM »

Yes, that was a great exhibit, well worth it.  While in L.A., my friends and I watched GBU in my friends "movie room".  He has sice purchased GBU and Fistful on 16mm film.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines