Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 04, 2021, 09:47:36 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Morricone Concert December
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: Morricone Concert December  ( 14381 )
Warwick
Road Apple

« #15 : November 28, 2006, 11:03:30 AM »

I'm going to Saturday's show.

I always wonder in cases like these if it's better to see the first show, where Morricone is just getting started, or the 2nd one where he has already warmed up from Friday? Or will both shows be just as good?

I've never been to the Apollo before, so I'm also wondering whether the seats I have (stalls, row N) will be good ones?
Any help on that one?

Sucker
Bandido

« #16 : November 28, 2006, 06:41:53 PM »

I've never been to the Apollo before, so I'm also wondering whether the seats I have (stalls, row N) will be good ones?
Any help on that one?

The link below will be a guide to where you will be sitting and how the seats are rated.
http://www.theatremonkey.com/HAMMERSMITHbooking.htm

iceman
Bounty Killer

« #17 : November 29, 2006, 05:17:35 PM »

alrite gents, been a while, got a job, that pretty much explains my absence, i feel culturally undernourished.

Anyway, im going to the rescheduled Morricone concert on Friday 1st December at Hammersmith, looking forward to it, just hope the great man doesnt cancel this time.!!!

Just to clarify, who from this board is going to the Friday show at the Apollo???

I'm going to the Friday show....

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
iceman
Bounty Killer

« #18 : December 02, 2006, 02:02:46 PM »

I'm going to the Friday show....

ICE

Well went to the concert....Absolutely mesmerising....talk about bringing a tear to ones eye. Imagine.... a 96 piece Orchestre and a hundred piece choir...Favourites included Deborahs theme, Scillian Clan, Come Madalena, GBU main title, Ectasy of gold (unbelieveable), OAATITW (unbelieveable) Fistfull of Dynamite,Here's to You, The mission and more... plus three encores........

Listen you guys in the USA...get to Radio City, you might not get a second chance. You'll be able to say "I was there!!"

ICE

iceman
Bounty Killer

« #19 : December 02, 2006, 05:45:18 PM »

Guys,
           Anyone read Music?...always wondered what kind of music the Choir are reading. Is it like instrument music. How do they read the Ah's and Um's and We shall fight's and  Ay, E, Ay, E, Ay's, ???

ICE

Sucker
Bandido

« #20 : December 02, 2006, 06:34:31 PM »

Well, it was a great Concert Friday night after what some might deem a sluggish start.
I arrived at 7pm to find that a great many people were already there as surprised as I was to see that the show was not going to begin until 8.15 and end at 9.45. So, instead of the usual 3 hour concert with an intermission it was all rolled into a shorter one of 90 minutes. The wait was a bit of a pain as there wasn't much seating in the foyers.
The list of items has already been published so I'll just comment.
Novecento was, possibly, not such a good way to start particularly because the second piece was dissonant and a "general" audience might not appreciate its finer points on a first hearing.
Deborah's Theme was beautifully played with, it seemed to me, a bit more solo violin playing that enhanced it.
The following excerpts from Vatel and I Promessi Sposi were not ideal choices from a general view but were fine if you are a fan.
Things then took off with the next five pieces all brilliant. It was hard to keep still in the seat as Come Maddalena finished off that section. I would just mention here that nobody really has been able yet to reproduce the quality of guitar playing as heard in the original Il Clan dei Siciliani . You just feel that you don't hear ALL the notes. But you could hear the 3000 plus audience getting going during this section.
As usual, it was the Leone section that lifted the roof off. This was my fourth Ennio Concert and I have never heard this section done as good. I didn't think it could be done better but I got the distinct impression that the tempo this time was increased maybe only by a fraction but enough to lift it another notch. And, without a doubt the Soprano's performance was the best I have heard yet particularly in Ecstasy of Gold which made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. At the end of it everyone was on their feet applauding.
That was difficult to follow - maybe that Leone Section should be held until last.
Casualties of War's main theme is a heartstring puller especially with the "Crouch" involved and the hankies were out for it. Here's to You Nicola and Bart is a simple tune but builds up to a rousing finale. It's one of my all-time favourites.
The Mission finished things off nicely with a beautiful rendition of Gabriel's Oboe getting it going.
The crowd reaction at the end was spectacular and encores followed for another 30 minutes or so including a second Ecstasy of Gold - what a treat that was.
The British (aided by us foreigners) gave him their usual magnificent send-off and the poor man looked exhausted when he finally grabbed all his music from the podium and exited with a final weary wave. I must say that I was really worried for his safety as he negotiated the various obstacles on the stage floor as he returned again and again to the podium.
All-in-all a great night. Roll on February in NYC.

Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

« #21 : December 03, 2006, 06:09:23 AM »

Thanks to both Ice and Sucker for the review.
Just two questions: who was the soprano - Susanna Rigacci??
Were there any seats left or was it packed?

daylami
Road Apple

« #22 : December 03, 2006, 10:03:52 AM »

The Soprano was Susanna  Regacci and it was a sell out.A truly wonderful event.

Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

« #23 : December 03, 2006, 12:44:36 PM »

It was just fantastic - kinda missed a few themes - and the programme could have comprised 2 or 3 themes more, but hey... he's getting older, even though he was kinda running across the stage at one point. It was incredible. What a soprano, too. And the solo violin!

Thank you, Ennio Morricone.

Garry Cowell
Bandido

Did you bring a horse for me?

« #24 : December 04, 2006, 08:07:56 AM »

Not much more to add to what's been said. Other than a few pictures and some video.

« : December 04, 2006, 08:12:27 AM Garry Cowell »
Tuco the ugly

« #25 : December 04, 2006, 08:32:38 AM »

beautiful!

iceman
Bounty Killer

« #26 : December 04, 2006, 04:25:41 PM »

The Soprano was Susanna  Regacci and it was a sell out.A truly wonderful event.

Gotta disagree..believe it or not there was an empty seat right next to me on row X downstairs.

And believe it or not, one nob stain behind me had his mobile on and answered it about three times... talkin away as if he was in the high street, crikey i was about to get up and  ram it up his arse, but I think the "I dont think its nice you laughin" look I give him was enough to shut him up, and he was foreign......

Pardon my french

ICE

iceman
Bounty Killer

« #27 : December 04, 2006, 04:28:59 PM »

Anyone got any good Photos of the event...Gary have you any more??

I took some but was to far away so they are crap...

ICE

Garry Cowell
Bandido

Did you bring a horse for me?

« #28 : December 05, 2006, 03:46:28 AM »

I took a few pictures more but the rest were just the bad and the ugly.

redrum
Chicken Thief

« #29 : December 09, 2006, 05:12:44 AM »

just to add that the show on the friday was introduced by Jonathon Ross who gave a fantastic accolade and seemed genuinely privelidged to be there. An interesting point followed as he asked the audience to put their hands together for the Maestro but there was no sign of the man, the audience continued clapping but still no show! Eventually one of Morricone`s aides signalled to the perplexed Ross to leave the stage, which he did before Morricone strolled on. I have no doubts that Morricone did not want to share the stage with Ross, its that simple. Ross is a piss taker and has wasted many opprtunities on his shows with guests just so he can have a cheap laugh. i like to think that Morricone had been propped beforehand and simply refused to share the stage. I actually like Ross but he wastes good interview opprtunities, the Morrissey one recently was a crime!

: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines