Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2022, 02:14:33 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Doors: Perception
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The Doors: Perception  ( 3895 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

« : December 11, 2006, 07:40:38 AM »

One reason this new and rather expensive box set is an essential purchase is explained in the new liner notes to the re-remastered first LP (by engineer Bruce Botnick):

One of the most interesting things about going back and revisiting the original tracks was that we found little gems and mysteries. The most startling discovery was finding out that the album, as it has existed on the street for the past 40 years, is running slow and off-key—flat to be exact. It came to my attention in early 2003 via an email from Michael Hicks, Professor of Music at Brigham Young University. After much investigation and speculation, Professor Hicks came to the conclusion that something was not quite right.

In preparing for a lecture he was giving at the Society for American Music Conference in April 2003, he said, “All the extant video- and audio-taped live performances of The Doors performing “Light My Fire,” the sheet music to the song, and the statements of band members show the song on the single as being in a key almost a full half-step higher than the LP issue and CD reissues (the 45-rpm issue was at the ‘real’ pitch). For example, the verse chords should be an alternation between A-minor and F-sharp minor. But on the LP and CD releases, the chords are A-flat minor and F-minor (although both about 20 cents sharp). It also seems that the LP version was originally intended to be at the original pitch: when one increases the speed of the LP version to get the true chords, the total time is 6:50 as stated on the record cover, as opposed to the 7:05 as issued on vinyl and CD.”

What I determined was the following: When the album was mixed at Elektra studios in New York, either the 4-track playback recorder was running slow, or the stereo 2-track was running fast. In those days we recorded and mixed on Ampex & Scully tape recorders. The tension system was such that when a full reel of tape was on the left side of the recorder, known as the supply side, it would run at something approximating accurate speed. When the situation was reversed, where the large load was on the take-up side, the recorder would slow down because of the mechanical braking system, and this could cause the mix to progressively run slower. So, things could go flat or sharp depending on what part of the tape the mix came from.

What resulted is that the albums that are on the street, be they vinyl or CD, are playing back slow. The original 1967 singles of both “Break On Through” and “Light My Fire” ran on speed. Why? In those days it was common to put a wrap—a single piece of splicing tape—on the capstan of the mastering recorder in order to slightly speed up the song so that it had a brighter edge on the radio. What we had achieved was to bring those songs back up to their correct speed. Additionally, in the single mastering, a Dolby A301 was used in the “record stretch” mode, causing the single to sound hi-fi on AM radio. So now, with the new mixes, you will hear the entire album at the correct speed and correct pitch—this could possibly change your life!       

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Jon1

« #1 : December 11, 2006, 08:38:18 AM »

Trivia....From what source did the Doors get their name...from what source did that source get the phrase from which the Doors got their name

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

« #2 : December 11, 2006, 09:29:30 AM »

Trivia....From what source did the Doors get their name...from what source did that source get the phrase from which the Doors got their name

That would be "The Doors Of Perception" by Aldous Huxley.
And I believe that it's a phrase from Zen Buddhism.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Jon1

« #3 : December 11, 2006, 09:59:57 AM »

You're right about Huxley.  Huxley however got the phrase from a William Blake line:

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through' narrow chinks of his cavern."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doors_of_Perception

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #4 : December 11, 2006, 12:16:31 PM »

Has anyone a good copy og HWY?
Mine has a time code too, I suppose there's none around without one?

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

« #5 : December 11, 2006, 02:01:59 PM »

what?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

« #6 : December 13, 2006, 05:09:53 PM »

Was Jim Morrison a Leone fan? Consider the following lyric from "The Celebration of the Lizard" (1968):

We came down from
Carson and Springfield
We came down from
Phoenix enthralled
& I can tell you
The names of the Kingdom
I can tell you
The things that you know
Listening for a fistful of silence
Climbing valleys into the shade

The names "Carson" and "Springfield" have both a general Wild West resonance as well as more specific Leonene associations; "Phoenix" places us in the American Southwest; and need I even comment on the curious expression "fistful of silence"?

Moving on to "Spanish Caravan" (1968) we find this:

I know where treasure
Is waiting for me
Silver and gold
The mountains of Spain

A clear reference to Tabernas! (except for the silver and the mountains). I posit a Dollars film marathon visited by some or all members of The Doors about the same time Jerry Garcia was watching The Saragosa Manuscript for the first time. Prove me wrong!

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines