Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 06:09:20 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Poncho
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Poncho  ( 11419 )
pablo113
Bandido

"No, no water"

« : December 22, 2006, 05:54:37 PM »

Who was the one who decided to have Eastwood wear the poncho in the 3 Leone films? Was it Leones idea or was it Eastwoods idea, I saw website that stated it was Eastwoods idea? Is that true?

Paul

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #1 : December 22, 2006, 09:48:16 PM »

Who was the one who decided to have Eastwood wear the poncho in the 3 Leone films? Was it Leones idea or was it Eastwoods idea, I saw website that stated it was Eastwoods idea? Is that true?

Paul

I heard eastwood say he was at a flea market and Italy, saw the poncho, and just bought it.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

« #2 : December 23, 2006, 01:34:34 AM »

According Leone, it was his idea. In one interview, Leone said, "I thought Clint was too skinny. That's why I wanted to cover his body with the poncho."

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : December 23, 2006, 05:12:04 AM »

Yea I heard the Leone version too, that he wanted to make him look bulkier, but that doesn't mean that he didn't tell Eastwood to pick one up, so who knows?

Any way if you think about it no American Western hero ever wore a pancho, "pancho wearers" were typecast as Mexicans, no?

So logically I don't see a lightbulb going on in American TV actor Clints head saying "of course a pancho is what I need"

Brando in "The Appaloosa" came out two years later in 1966.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
pablo113
Bandido

"No, no water"

« #4 : December 25, 2006, 10:59:11 PM »

If you watch the SE GBU, it says that the poncho was Leones idea...end of story. The guy was a visionary, the poncho made those movies! It was like the cape to Superman!

Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #5 : December 28, 2006, 12:16:42 PM »

For sometime Leone and Eastwood claimed credit for it but i think we can safely say it was Leone's idea. There is a Carlo Simi design art for it in Frayling's book ONCE UPON A TIME IN ITALY. Also there is an audio snippet on the website of the guy who sells replica ponchos where Clint says that he bought one in America and took it to Spain but Leone did not like it and gave him the one he had chosen. So we have it in his own words!!

pablo113
Bandido

"No, no water"

« #6 : January 03, 2007, 11:58:51 PM »

I am sorry, but is that not the COOLEST PONCHO you ever saw!!!!

Hahahahah

Pablo

pablo113
Bandido

"No, no water"

« #7 : January 15, 2007, 09:30:03 PM »

Poncho is green, not red right?

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #8 : January 15, 2007, 09:35:34 PM »

Poncho is green, not red right?

That is correct.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #9 : January 16, 2007, 04:02:03 AM »

I think it fades or sun bleaches with the combination of Almerian dust added into one of the other colors, we did have comparison screen cap images, showing one color on one side and the fliped side the other, if I remember right.

« : January 16, 2007, 04:03:42 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #10 : January 16, 2007, 12:14:37 PM »

Yeah, look for the screen captures thread, also shows the sewn-up bullet holes from "Fistful", which were usually turned to the back, but visible in all three films (earlier scene at table in Fistful, filmed out of sequence), there was only ONE poncho.  I saw it in 2005 at the Leone Exhibit in L.A. and it's definite greenish on one side and brownish on the other, likely from fading.  I think in Fistful it was more overall greenish.

Tuco the ugly

« #11 : January 16, 2007, 02:22:14 PM »

Green

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #12 : January 16, 2007, 03:32:30 PM »

having fun with fonts I see. :D

Tuco the ugly

« #13 : January 16, 2007, 04:10:17 PM »

having fun with fonts I see. :D

yeah,a real party :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #14 : February 05, 2007, 08:15:56 PM »

I guess I'll join this party!!!  :D :D :D ::) ::) :D :D :D ::) ::) O0

Anyway, I've read it numerous times the poncho was Leone's idea, so I think we're safe to say it's all Leone.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines