Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2021, 08:42:53 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Whatever happened to that OTHER book about OUATITW?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Whatever happened to that OTHER book about OUATITW?  ( 7113 )
Concorde
Gunslinger

"Finally, I believe ONLY in dynamite...."

« : February 13, 2007, 06:49:43 PM »

I only recently got a look at an actual copy of John Falwell's book The Art Of Sergio Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West: A Critical Appreciation (McFarland & Co., 2005) http://tinyurl.com/yqpyxj ; and was very surprised to discover that it was not the book I was expecting to see.

Falwell's volume, though promising and apparently well-researched, is definitely something quite different from the OUATITW book that was being touted on this site several years ago. Does anyone else on this board recall the one that I remember?

The author posted here, talking about how he hoped to "go to press" the following summer, and he had set up a fascinating teaser website which offered all sorts of juicey tidbits about the film's production. One thing I remember specifically is that he promised an incredibly detailed set of credits for the movie, including the names of all the actors -- even ones who appeared in just a shot or two during the scene where the McBain ranch is auctioned off. He posted a mouth-watering sample, showing just how detailed his final version was going to be. (I had bookmarked that website and for a while was checking it regularly for updates, but I lost the bookmark in a computer meltdown.)

So naturally when Falwell's The Art Of Sergio Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West turned up in the McFarland catalog a year or so later, I smiled and said, "Ahhh, here it is."

Imagine my stunned disappointment yesterday afternoon when, upon opening  The Art Of... for the first time, I discovered that it doesn't have a credits list for the film at all....and that it apparently is a completely different book.

What happened?

Is this actually the fruits of the same research effort, but scaled down in scope by the publisher? Or is this truly a whole 'nother book -- and, if so, whatever happened to the other one?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated....   :-\

Scarabaeus
Chicken Thief

« #1 : February 13, 2007, 07:32:01 PM »

I think you mean http://www.gbu-book.net/
which was discussed here: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=3736.0

The site was lat updated a year ago, and I haven't heard any news.

There is one more book, which was recently re-release, that I'm planning to check out:
http://www.amazon.de/o/ASIN/3896027050/
"Für ein paar Leichen mehr. Der Italo-Western von seinen Anfängen bis heute"
"For a few bodies more. The Spaghetti Western from it's origins to today"

It's in german, but does anybody know more about it?

Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #2 : February 14, 2007, 02:29:51 AM »

Yes the GBU book is the only one mentioned on here that had a website and updates from the author. I haven't seen one on OUATW.

The German book i would highly recommend. I have the first edition and plan to get this reisssue as well. It has loads of great photos and posters. And about an inch and a half thick hardback too.

Concorde
Gunslinger

"Finally, I believe ONLY in dynamite...."

« #3 : February 14, 2007, 03:57:33 AM »

Fellahs,

Thanks for the reminders about that similarly great-looking GBU book (which I sure hope sees the light of day soon), but no, this other one that I recall was specifically about OUATITW, as the list of actors from the McBain ranch auction scene stands out distinctly in my memory.

The writer had gathered all the actors' names, and put them each alongside their one line of dialogue or a description of what they do in the scene, since obviously the characters whom they played didn't have names. The format went something like this...

Adam Actori...........Bids $100
Thom Thespiani.....Stopped from bidding $150

I'm still mystified over this.   ???

Le Bon
Bounty Killer

« #4 : February 14, 2007, 04:33:33 AM »

Hmmm.... thats odd. I have been on this board for a few years and also buy most of the SW books that come out and don't remember this OUATW book or seeing it mentioned elsewhere. This has got me intrigued now. There is a new book out called SPAGHETTI WESTERNS: A THEMATIC STUDY or something like that. {someone posted here about a few months ago} which i saw in London's Cinema store priced £28. I checked on Amazon last night and they have it at £10.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

« #5 : February 14, 2007, 05:43:45 AM »

Le Bon, I'm just curious but do you have "Once Upon A Time: The Films of Sergio Leone" by Robert C. Cumbow?

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Le Bon
Bounty Killer

« #6 : February 14, 2007, 07:28:10 AM »

Yes Sanjuro i have that one. It's about 15 years old now...maybe more.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

« #7 : February 14, 2007, 11:15:31 AM »

Yes Sanjuro i have that one. It's about 15 years old now...maybe more.

Jolly good. It came out in 1985. I thought it was a very obscure book. I'm glad you have it.

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #8 : February 14, 2007, 05:10:07 PM »

I know what book the OP is talking about, but I have no idea whatever happened with it. . .  :-\

Saturday nights with Groggy
Denys
Bandido

Frank, you dirty son of a bitch

« #9 : February 19, 2007, 09:42:29 PM »

I do remember about that book. I think it was supposed to be called "Once upon a time in the west: Tribute to a masterpiece" The guy had a website about that. I even suscribed to his mailing list and he was supposed to keep everybody informed about the futur release. It was going to be the most complete book about OUATITW and I was waiting for it too. There was also pictures of the building of the arch and the "behind the scenes" pics too...anyway, one day, the site went off. I guess that fellow abandoned cause I had no further news after. That is just too bad. By the way, sorry for my english, I hope I make myself clear enough loll!

Clinton
Bandido

« #10 : February 20, 2007, 04:45:34 AM »

It sounds like you are referring to a previous book-in-progress which Ernest Farino advertised via a publisher some years ago. Ernest interviewed Sergio Leone in the early 1970s (1972 from memory) and he acquired an impressive collection of stills, especially behind-the-scenes stills from OUATITW. The site advertising the book also alluded to an extended list of cast/crew. I think that Ernest encountered some hindrance with the project, possibly (speculation here) conflict of interest with Paramount Pictures. Ernest regularly sells magnificent stills of Claudia Cardinale etc under the ebay store "thelandbeyondbeyond" or something similar. It would be very nice if Ernest Farino got a chance to complete his OUATITW project!

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines