Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 15, 2022, 01:06:54 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What would have been his next film?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: What would have been his next film?  ( 9341 )
Cal
Site Administrator
Administrator
Bandido

« : November 24, 2002, 08:27:15 PM »

Was there another film Leone was thinking about directing after Once Upon A Time In America?

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

« #1 : November 25, 2002, 03:49:54 AM »

WOW,a new sub-board!  8)

Well,I remember reading it somewhere that Leone was planning to make a movie about the siege of Leningrad in the Second World War.

Renny
Chicken Thief

"Are you talking to me?"

« #2 : November 25, 2002, 03:08:08 PM »

WOW,a new sub-board!  8)

Well,I remember reading it somewhere that Leone was planning to make a movie about the siege of Leningrad in the Second World War.
[/
well that would have been a great subject. But it would have been fantastic if he was able to do more with the Noodles caracter ;)

"Your Youngest And Strongest Will Fall By The Sword"
Concorde
Gunslinger

"Finally, I believe ONLY in dynamite...."

« #3 : December 03, 2002, 01:48:25 PM »

I believe his next project was to be called A PLACE ONLY MARY KNOWS (the title describes where a hidden fortune is located), which was a western or post-Civil War drama starring Mickey Rourke and Richard Gere.

The film was, obviously, never made.

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

« #4 : January 06, 2003, 01:03:11 PM »

Yes,it would have been nice to see a Leone film about WWII.

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

« #5 : January 30, 2003, 01:33:54 PM »

I also heard that he was going to make an epic film about the siege of Leningrad.  Robert de Niro was going to play in it.

I also heard that Leone was raising money in America and in Russia (!) and that he collected a budget of nearly 100 million dollars (or was it 2,5 million?  I don't remember exactly) without any existing scenario...  No single word was written about it...  Leone just based the concept on one idea of a very huge, complex camera movement (while all kinds of things happen).  I don't recall the exact meaning of the shot, but I can assure you, we're talking about a serious mudda of a camera movement here...  Crazy guy.  But brilliant.

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Garry Cowell
Bandido

Did you bring a horse for me?

« #6 : January 31, 2003, 04:23:23 AM »

Leone just based the concept on one idea of a very huge, complex camera movement (while all kinds of things happen).  I don't recall the exact meaning of the shot, but I can assure you, we're talking about a serious mudda of a camera movement here...  Crazy guy.  But brilliant.
I think it was generally along the lines of this (all in one shot!)...

We start on a close up of a kid hiding under the bed as all sorts of explosions are heard going off. The camera then zooms back (out of the window) and we see the building he's in is about to collapse then the camera pans away (via a helicopter shot) from the building and we see a whole city getting shelled by tank fire and people fleeing from their homes. The camera continues to pan across the city until it starts to slow down. It then turns and we see a huge row of tanks preparing to fire on the city. The camera slowly pans down and we see the tank commander aligning the turret. The camera continues to pan down and tighten in on the lead tank until the turret final stops aligning. By now the whole of the turret fills the frame. (Dramatic pause) Then the tank commander yells "FIRE!"
(Cut to Black Screen with White Text)

A Sergio Leone Film

TBPJMR
Bandido

« #7 : January 31, 2003, 05:37:02 AM »

I think it was generally along the lines of this (all in one shot!)...

We start on a close up of a kid hiding under the bed as all sorts of explosions are heard going off. The camera then zooms back (out of the window) and we see the building he's in is about to collapse then the camera pans away...

I've never heard about this start... the opening scene I'd read about involved Sciostakovic and his seventh symphony, written about the days of the siege. The composer plays at the piano some notes of the symphony and then the camera flies out by the window...
However, I recently read the book on which would have been based the screenplay, that is "The 900 days" by J.H. Salisbury; in the siege part of the book there are a lot of episodes which, I imagined, Leone would have surely rendered epic... not a funny book, but a raw, cruel one.
Bye and bye

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Garry Cowell
Bandido

Did you bring a horse for me?

« #8 : February 03, 2003, 07:27:34 AM »

I've never heard about this start... the opening scene I'd read about involved Sciostakovic and his seventh symphony, written about the days of the siege. The composer plays at the piano some notes of the symphony and then the camera flies out by the window...
Yeah I rewatched the documentary Once Upon A Time...Sergio Leone yesterday and you're correct but I was just trying to get the essense of the scene across...

Another scene was that the heroine witness the hero's death (who's a journalist) via his footage of the siege. i.e. he gets shot whilst filming and the girl witness it via the cinema.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #9 : March 12, 2003, 11:29:59 AM »

Leone was thinking to a movie called (i translate the french title): the 100 days of stalingrad. He had ever choise the actors, and the poster.
he wanted to do a trilogie about the "after" american dream.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #10 : March 29, 2003, 05:21:15 AM »

I don't know.  Leone had so many ideas floating around back then that's it's next to impossible to figure out what he was going to do next (though to the best of my knowledge the Leningrad idea fell out in '88).  "A Place Only Mary Knows" sounds pretty good, though the Leningrad film would've rocked.  He also supposedly had a film idea about two brothers fighting on opposite side in the Civil War, and of course the TV series "Colt: An American Legend".

Saturday nights with Groggy
DUST
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

« #11 : April 07, 2003, 11:42:46 AM »

Don quichote and Sancho Panca discovering New York in the modern time !!!
An other project of Sergio Leone.
Showdown between Don quichotte and the twin towers(mill).

sephrodgers
Road Apple

Very interesting...

« #12 : April 23, 2003, 08:17:19 AM »

'Gangs of New York' was obviously Scorcese's attempt to 'do' Leone in my opinion.
There were so many elemts that were clearly Leone influence, some of which
 he got right and some which he got very very wrong.
I think if the Scorcese had worked out a more intense sound design and had Morricone
score it it could have come close. Using U2 on the soundtrack was an absolutely shocking mistake
considering the effort he put into authentic period setting elsewhere.
If Sergio had had the opportunity though I believe he would have been interested in the project -
it fits nicely between 'West' and 'America'.

It's like finding your pants on the top shelf when you know you put them on the bottom.
braverifles
Road Apple

Wie lämmer zum gschlachten!

« #13 : July 09, 2004, 12:37:03 PM »

As far as I know he was proposing the '900 days' film about Leningrad and had garnered $100 Million based on the concept and his name alone. I dont believe he had a working script or even that one was floating around..surely if had been it would have surfaced by now. I can only imagine how powerful this film would have been especially since it was a Soviet co-production. The steppes of Russia would have provided him the same type of expansiveness that he had used to such good effect in his other films. I have not watched Once Upon a Time in America to see how he handled large city scapes. Because his film must have a protagonist and antoganist it would have been well presented.

It would be great to homage this film to him as I have similar WW2 concepts containing the German and allied view points in his style worked out. The reference someone made to the commander in his tank turret is actually close to a treatment I had for an armored ambush by 12th-SS Hitleryouth division Panther tanks on a British convoy outside Caen during 1944 for the opening sequence. That sequence is titled 'Lambs to the slaughter' referring to what the commander says in a tight close up of him looking through field googles as the convoy approaches.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #14 : July 10, 2004, 03:35:39 AM »

Welcome Braverifles, its a shame that circumstances at the time prevented Leone from exhausting his true potentials. I'm one of the guilty ones, I got caught up in the Eastwood cult and left Leone by the wayside. I guess the "auteur " theory of cinema didn't quite take hold here at the time.

If at the time producers and production companies would have promoted Leone like they do directors and producers now (ie. "A film by John Woo" or  "A Jerry Bruckhiemer Film") we may have had more Leone output. But then we may have gotten a lot of crapped up movies too, lol.

A current example now is David Lynch. His films are stylish, unique, and quirky, far and few between and not huge commercial successes, but they will stand the test of time, while the rest will sink into the same old- same old. So now I'm following the "auteur" and not the stars of his films.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines