Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 15, 2024, 08:32:35 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Gruesome Horror
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3 ... 5
: Gruesome Horror  ( 24198 )
Sonny
Bounty Killer

« : April 22, 2007, 11:59:14 AM »

I thought it might be interesting to start a discussion about the grimmest and most frightful movies in existence.

I love the horror genre.  And although the British have done some of the best  and classiest horror films ever made, i'd also like to discuss the gruesome movies, even if they suck big time. The horror genre doesn't care for bad acting, unconvincing sets or costumes or storyline.  Its main focus is the reaction of their audience to morbid elements.  That's what makes it interesting.

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #1 : April 22, 2007, 02:07:47 PM »

You could add Salo to the list? Maybe pushing the horror film conventions per se?

Funny story about this, a couple of years ago the film was being shown at the NFT in London and before the screenings there were warnings etc about the extreme content etc. About half way through the movie, a guy stands up and shouts at the audience "How can you be watching the sick filth!" and storms out. Why go see the movie when it has such a bad rep and is preceded by warnings etc.

Back to Gruesome, I can't stand films like Saw and Hostel. I can't stand them I tells ya! My cousin, he can't get enough of the stuff. Especially the remake of the Hills Have Eyes, I try to watch every film in its entirety but when it reached the middle section with the bit in the trailer... I felt physically ill and had to fast forward it. "Shivers"

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

« #2 : April 22, 2007, 02:29:24 PM »

Horror films that I believe were intense and downright frightening:

The original "The Hills Have Eyes"
"The Ring"
"The Bad Seed" (saw it as a child and scared the he77 out of me)

I think the horror films that leave more to the imagination have
more of an impact than plain old gore.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #3 : April 22, 2007, 04:58:04 PM »

Evil Dead is pretty good and so is 28 Days Later.

Sonny
Bounty Killer

« #4 : April 22, 2007, 10:43:24 PM »

You could add Salo to the list? Maybe pushing the horror film conventions per se?

Funny story about this, a couple of years ago the film was being shown at the NFT in London and before the screenings there were warnings etc about the extreme content etc. About half way through the movie, a guy stands up and shouts at the audience "How can you be watching the sick filth!" and storms out. Why go see the movie when it has such a bad rep and is preceded by warnings etc.

Back to Gruesome, I can't stand films like Saw and Hostel. I can't stand them I tells ya! My cousin, he can't get enough of the stuff. Especially the remake of the Hills Have Eyes, I try to watch every film in its entirety but when it reached the middle section with the bit in the trailer... I felt physically ill and had to fast forward it. "Shivers"

Yes, Salo would surely classify as gruesome horror because its "horrific" content is so disturbing that it's simply shocking and horrifying. That guy from the theatre thing is too funny  ;D.  I'm kinda surprised they showed it in the UK.  I believe it's banned here in the U.S. and (aside from the fact that it's out of print) it was probably never allowed into this market anyway.  I'm not too sure why, but i'd definitely wanna see it.

I also hate films that focus on disguisting the audience instead of making the movie grim. 

To me a true horror movie can shock with simple "grotti" elements without having to make the movie "as shocking as possible" becuase they believe that making it disguisting will make it more memorable. It just makes it seem like the directors don't care about quality at all.

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #5 : April 23, 2007, 05:48:17 AM »

A great idea for this thread Sonny O0

Does Seven count as horror?I haven't watched it for about a decade but it was pretty gruesome and disturbing and i've no wish to watch it again. :-\

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #6 : April 23, 2007, 06:21:17 AM »

Was this the same cousin who tried to get you to watch The Fast and the Furious?

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

« #7 : April 23, 2007, 10:11:50 AM »

Oh yeah, Fast and the Furious 2 fell asleep in it (The only film I've ever fallen asleep in) He tried to drag me along to see Hills Have Eyes 2 but had already seen a bit of it when I was at a post house and, well you know my thoughts on the first one.

Dawn Of The Dead (original) would be my upmost favourite horror film followed by The Fly (I love that film so much it has one of the most touching romances in cinema history in my opinion)

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« #8 : April 23, 2007, 10:24:46 AM »

I guess when it comes to the downright nasty, the Japanese Guinea Pig films would be hard to beat, though I must admit to never having seen one. As Barry Convex says in VIDEODROME, why would anybody want to watch it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_Pig_(film_series)

The Italians pushed the boat out into some rather queazy waters in the 1970's with a run of cannibal films, many of which are truly hard to watch. Not because of the often laughable scenes of grubby looking Italian extras sitting around in absurd wigs and loincloths munching on some gore splashed false arms and legs, but because many of them feature extremely prolonged and distressing animal deaths. That these creatures are hidiously killed in front of a movie camera in the name of often tawdry and badly made "entertainment" makes it all the worse.

However, one of the films in this genre, CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST is worth seeing, with a narrative structure almost as daring as that of CITIZEN KANE, and brimming with ideas about cinema itself and reality. I have to look away at the animal deaths though. Incidently this film seems to have become one of the most influential horror films of recent years, with ROMPER STOMPER, THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT and the 2004 DAWN OF THE DEAD all blatently ripping off it's ending.

The Hong Kong "classic" MEN BEHIND THE SUN is another genuine shocker worth catching at least once, an almost sleazy mix of gore effects, more animal deaths (rats and a cat in this case), real life medical footage and solid factual history all rolled into one. Telling the story of the notorious Japanese biological warfare experimental prison Unit 731, it contains one gore effect so extreme I have never been able to watch that bit ever again.

In terms of sheer, relentless disturbing horror however, I have yet to find a film which can quit match the Soviet war film COME AND SEE:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=4906.0

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #9 : April 23, 2007, 03:20:50 PM »

The Fly (I love that film so much it has one of the most touching romances in cinema history in my opinion)
Yuck that film with all its vomiting etc is just plain disgusting as well as gruesome.Jeff Goldblum was excellent but i prefer the original The Fly ;)

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

« #10 : April 23, 2007, 04:02:40 PM »

The fly is gruesome but so well done, it is an incredibly involving Drama with a Brundlefly. Do you enjoy any Cronenberg Banjo? Oh yes and thanks for reminding me of Se7en, I think I'll watch this 'Noir York' as Fincher so describes it after Sgt York.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #11 : April 23, 2007, 04:07:25 PM »

Do you enjoy any Cronenberg Banjo?
You'd have to remind me of what else he's directed. :-[

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

« #12 : April 23, 2007, 04:09:43 PM »

Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome, The Fly, Dead Ringers (My personal fave), Naked Lunch, Crash, Spider,  History Of Violence.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #13 : April 23, 2007, 04:17:22 PM »

Yes, Salo would surely classify as gruesome horror because its "horrific" content is so disturbing that it's simply shocking and horrifying. That guy from the theatre thing is too funny  ;D.  I'm kinda surprised they showed it in the UK.  I believe it's banned here in the U.S. and (aside from the fact that it's out of print) it was probably never allowed into this market anyway.  I'm not too sure why, but i'd definitely wanna see it.

No movie has ever been "Banned" in america as people say but Salo hasnt been release because no publisher actually wants to put out Salo on DVD well execpt for Criterion and they are going to re-release it later this year.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

« #14 : April 23, 2007, 04:19:15 PM »

There's a UK BFI version available in the UK for anyone desperate to check it out ( :o )

: [1] 2 3 ... 5  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines