Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 06, 2021, 05:00:13 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hommage to OUATIW?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Hommage to OUATIW?  ( 5543 )
poderator
Bandido

« : April 24, 2007, 02:20:37 AM »

Couple a days ago I saw one of the "modern westerns"  The Quick and the Dead" with Leonardo di Caprio, Gene Hackman and Sharon Stone. There are more than few simillarities between this two movies.
Here is example:
1.In both of thiese westerns revenge is a main theme of the movie
2. Main characters Harmonica, and The Lady as we see, they have only nicknames, not real names.
3. Both main characters are coming to town, there are strangers with hidden agenda. They keep they identities for themselves.
4. The Lady and Harmoinica are underastimated at first, but pretty soon everybody knows how quick they draw their guns.
5.Main villain in both movies Frank in OUATIW and JOhn in TQATD are very fast with a gun (maybe the fastest until they met main hero). Both were liders of their gangs in their previous life, and both were brutal killers with reinessance aproach to death.
6.Most important: how they killed their victims. Frank hanged Harmonica's brother, and H. has to carry him on his shoulders.
John hanged Lady's father, sheriff, while he was on the horse, and he offers the gun to a little girl. If she can shoot the rope her father will stay alive. The point is John knows that little girl doesn't stand a chance. Gun is heavy in her hand. Of course she missed the rope and she killed her father. Both Frank and John are offering the false hope to a young victims, because they like to watch their misery. Both characters are monsters. John even murdered his own son, Frank kills little boy, and girl. They are ruthless.
7.In both movies others members of the gang are present in a scene during hanging, and they enyoying the whole thing.
8.Frank doesn't know Harmonica's true identity, until the very end. John doesn't know Ladie's true identity either. They are asking the same question: who are you? Frank at the point of dying, and John during dinner at his place.
9.Revelation: Revealing main characters true identities true some kind of specific detail; Harmonica is defined by instrument harmonica, and Lady's identity is revealed by her father's sheriff shield.
10. Both scenes are of course in flashback. Frank and John are shaken by this discovery. Frank saw harmonica and he knows who the man with harmonica really is. John saw sheriff's shield and he knows who The Lady is.
11.Finally showdown: scenes are very simillar like the one from Leone's movies, camera closeups on eyes etc.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : April 24, 2007, 03:32:12 PM »

yea they tride to make a SW, a very poor one.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #2 : April 24, 2007, 03:56:58 PM »

Yes, a very bad way to do an homage. Wretched film.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #3 : April 24, 2007, 04:09:35 PM »

Yes, a very bad way to do an homage. Wretched film.

A very entertaining film! I like it a lot. Hackman is so nasty in this.

A lot of the homages can be traced back to other spaghetti westerns not just the obvious (The Leone one's).

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tuco the ugly

« #4 : April 24, 2007, 07:43:03 PM »

A very entertaining film! I like it a lot. Hackman is so nasty in this.

Agreed!
The idea wasn't to make a great film but an entertaining one,as they successfully did.

« : April 24, 2007, 07:50:37 PM Tuco the ugly deer hunter »
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #5 : April 25, 2007, 04:49:02 AM »

entertaining if you like implausable fantasies now just think if Django would have shown up dragging his coffin, that would have been entertaining for me,  O0

« : April 25, 2007, 04:50:06 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #6 : April 25, 2007, 02:47:08 PM »

My idea of an entertaining Western is not talk, talk, talk. And the music is execrable. And Sharon Stone, Russel Crowe, and Lenny Di are the 3 screen actors I cannot abide. And I am soooooooooo tired of Hackman playing the smug heavy. And a Western should range, man, it shouldn't be tied to one town. And then there's the little matter of the plot........

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #7 : April 25, 2007, 03:28:47 PM »

I know it was too town bound, you need landscape in Westerns!

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #8 : April 25, 2007, 04:21:30 PM »

My idea of an entertaining Western is not talk, talk, talk. And the music is execrable. And Sharon Stone, Russel Crowe, and Lenny Di are the 3 screen actors I cannot abide. And I am soooooooooo tired of Hackman playing the smug heavy. And a Western should range, man, it shouldn't be tied to one town. And then there's the little matter of the plot........

I agree, that film is a total mess and I consider myself a Raimi fan. It's peculiar how nobody takes advantage of all the touches that Leone gave to the genre, instead of churning out hamfisted trash such as this.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
poderator
Bandido

« #9 : April 26, 2007, 01:17:55 AM »

In our time filmmaker who wants to make a good western is almost doomed to fail. Fact is, when Leone started to make thiese westerns everyone thought that this genre was dying. He revitalised it, and we had another era of western, SW in Spain and Italy. After Sergio, again dead end. But Clint Eastwood made dozens of good westerns, and he was able to do that because he learned from the best. Frankly, I am surprised that anyone would made another western after Sergio and Clint. I mean you can't just go and make westerns like the ones with John Wayne. Then again you can't pretend that Sergio and his new inventions never egsisted.
So its hard to make a good western; If you try to do it in old way, that would be ridiculuos. If you try to copy Leone, it would be patetic. Clint has pick up all the rest . Really you have to be some kind of genius to make a good western thiese days.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #10 : April 26, 2007, 04:50:29 AM »

So its hard to make a good western; If you try to do it in old way, that would be ridiculous. If you try to copy Leone, it would be patetic. Clint has pick up all the rest . Really you have to be some kind of genius to make a good western these days.

That's why I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Castellari & Nero can come up with a new look, PC be dammed, maybe we can't see the forest for the trees but an outsider can.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #11 : April 27, 2007, 03:49:10 PM »

I actually enjoyed The Quick and the Dead. You can't take the movie seriously when you watch it, or it will be ruined. It's a fun movie in my opinion.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #12 : April 27, 2007, 03:52:02 PM »

Agreed!
The idea wasn't to make a great film but an entertaining one,as they successfully did.
ditto O0

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines