Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2021, 12:04:40 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Pirates of the carribean 3 :at world's end
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: Pirates of the carribean 3 :at world's end  ( 17533 )
poderator
Bandido

« #15 : May 28, 2007, 05:21:52 AM »

That is the main problem with the sequels of the movies where everything important is already showed  in the original. First Pirates of the Carribean was great because everything was coherent and everything had sense. It has begining and the end. But original made tons of money, and that is why we have this kind of  sequel (Dead man's chest). Everything else is pretty much predictable; bigger budget, more and more special efects, and less character development. What is the result: Pretty long MTV video.
It is the same thing with a Matrix. First one offers some really great philosophical issues, gave us something to think about. But again,movie has earned alot of money. Second and third (I know that this is probably a blasphemy for some of the fans)  managed only to show us  the New Testament in a cyberpunk setting. Really, they ruined the very foundations of the first part of Matrix.
Same thing with a Pirates.  It is sad thing, because original rocks.

« : May 28, 2007, 05:23:29 AM poderator »
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #16 : May 28, 2007, 06:30:26 AM »

Same thing with a Pirates.  It is sad thing, because original rocks.

Well, I decided I liked the original and don't want to have it spoiled by the sequels... I must say, I feel similar about Star Wars, too. I liked the original more. The prequels were mostly only bigger budget and better special effects. That must be the reason why I decided this way about POTC.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #17 : May 28, 2007, 06:46:52 AM »

I kind of agree, even though I think AWE is the best of all of them. The second and third films, unlike, say, "Star Wars", were not pre-planned, they were created when the original was a big hit, which no one apparently expected it to be. I would have had no problem if there were no sequels to the original POTC: it pretty much resolved everything, despite leaving a few things (e.g. Sparrow's fate) open.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18 : May 28, 2007, 12:56:06 PM »

Saw it last might it was ok, a little bit too long though and a little bit too Disney, the battle at the maelstrom seem to take forever, and way too many endings.

« : May 28, 2007, 12:58:42 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #19 : May 28, 2007, 03:12:58 PM »

I watched it again today. . . definitely saw the OUATITW reference, the music was definitely a parody of "Man With a Harmonica". Must have been in the bathroom for that part last Friday.

poderator
Bandido

« #20 : May 28, 2007, 11:56:07 PM »

Yes, that scene on the beach before battle is definitely "Man with a Harmonica", closeups on eyes etc. Also, those pocket watches (Kalipso and Davey Jones) definitely For a few dollars more.

« : May 28, 2007, 11:57:39 PM poderator »
Eric
Gunslinger

« #21 : May 30, 2007, 07:00:59 PM »

Saw this last night.
A vast improvement from the second installment but still not as fun as the first.
Has the least action of the three I would say. Only two major action set peices jump in my mind, an early sword fight in a Signapore bath house and the Maelstrom sequence that is the film's climax.
The swordfights still suffer from having virtually no choreograpghy (something that plagued the second film) but the boat battles are a visual treat.
Depp as Sparrow has lost all of his charm but he still manages to be the best thing of the movie. Keith Richards, as Depp's father, was not needed.

My main problem with this series is the amount of fantasy elements in it. The fantasy elements in the first were suddle. The skeleton crew was creepy and added something a swashbuckler hadn't seen before. The next installments went for broke on everything ridiculous and turned the series into a high seas Lord Of The Rings.

Spaghetti western enthusiast will find great pleasure in a scene that mocks a western showdown (complete with electric guitar that apes Morricone's "Man with a Harmonica"). In fact the plot, with all of it's constant (And I do mean CONSTANT) backstabbings and betrayals , reminded me of a Carnimeo western.

I agree with every single thing that Firecracker has said here. Keith Richards was wasted (probably in whichever way you want to take that) in his overhyped part.

I got excited when I heard that Morricone homage. I called it to the attention of my wife who promptly told me that, yes, it was from OUATITW and would I please shut up.

The action scenes were a mess, and the filming of several important scenes left me wondering exactly what was going on -- the most crucial scene at the end especially.

And one of the characters wound up looking a little too much like this guy for me to take things seriously.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #22 : June 03, 2007, 09:54:42 PM »

I finally seen it and overall I thought it was good. It was a bit to long and I thought the character of Chow-Yun Fat was under-developed. An actor of his caliber was a waste in my opinion. I personally thought the set pieces and battle sequences were spectacular. I'm not for over-bearing of CGI, but I thought it was beautifully used here. The ending did drag a bit as mentioned in previous posts. It's like they didn't know how to end it. That's the problem with sequels...they just run out of ideas. I thought there were more than one spaghetti western references. The beach scene before the big battle was amazing. Sergio Leone written all over that. Does anybody know if that piece of music is on the SOUNDTRACK?

Overall, I think AWE is a little better than DMC but not by that much. I like DMC personally, and I think it gets a lot of undeserved critisism. The first one still remains the best. The closing credit sequence was ridiculous and unneeded if you ask me.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #23 : June 04, 2007, 05:07:36 AM »

I finally seen it and overall I thought it was good. It was a bit to long and I thought the character of Chow-Yun Fat was under-developed. An actor of his caliber was a waste in my opinion. I personally thought the set pieces and battle sequences were spectacular. I'm not for over-bearing of CGI, but I thought it was beautifully used here. The ending did drag a bit as mentioned in previous posts. It's like they didn't know how to end it. That's the problem with sequels...they just run out of ideas. I thought there were more than one spaghetti western references. The beach scene before the big battle was amazing. Sergio Leone written all over that. Does anybody know if that piece of music is on the SOUNDTRACK?

I could be wrong as I don't have the soundtrack, but I believe the track in question is called "Parlay".

I agree with you on Chow Yun-Fat. He had, what ten minutes of screen time? And despite a cool introduction, his character was nothing more than a plot device.

Overall, I think AWE is a little better than DMC but not by that much. I like DMC personally, and I think it gets a lot of undeserved critisism. The first one still remains the best. The closing credit sequence was ridiculous and unneeded if you ask me.

I thought DMC was ridiculous, but I liked AWE. It has a lot of flaws, but overall it's the most entertaining of the three, in my opinion.

I didn't stick around for the post-credit scene, although I've heard about it and it sounds stupid.

I think the whole thing with Will becoming Captain of the Flying Dutchman was a complete cop-out - either he should die outright, or live through the movie. I hate it when movies kill characters and bring them back to life with no explanation (well, I wasn't too upset about Barbossa, but that's because I'm a big Geoffrey Rush fan ;))! It's like the scene in "The Mummy Returns" where Rachel Weisz gets killed and then is revived five minutes later. . . please. ::) I would have liked it better if Bootstrap (Will's father), Jack, or even Norrington stabbed the heart instead.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #24 : June 04, 2007, 10:37:47 AM »

I love Geoffrey Rush myself Groggy. He was the main actor who probably saved this movie in my opinion. Barbossa is an awesome character.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #25 : June 12, 2007, 04:31:53 PM »

Just to add one more thing to this thread: I got a POTC "Making-of" book, and it does mention that Gore Verbinski is a big Sergio Leone fan. Just so you guys know. . .  O0

Also, you may be interested to know that Hans Zimmer has said that he first wanted to be a film composer after seeing OUATITW as a teenager. . . pretty cool if you ask me.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #26 : June 12, 2007, 08:13:37 PM »

Just to add one more thing to this thread: I got a POTC "Making-of" book, and it does mention that Gore Verbinski is a big Sergio Leone fan. Just so you guys know. . .  O0

Also, you may be interested to know that Hans Zimmer has said that he first wanted to be a film composer after seeing OUATITW as a teenager. . . pretty cool if you ask me.

Wow, thanks for posting Groggy. It was pretty obvious after seeing that homage in "At World's End" that Gore is a Leone fan. I love that scene!

Is the book worth picking up Groggy? I was actually at the book store tonight looking at that book.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #27 : June 13, 2007, 05:34:55 AM »

Wow, thanks for posting Groggy. It was pretty obvious after seeing that homage in "At World's End" that Gore is a Leone fan. I love that scene!

Is the book worth picking up Groggy? I was actually at the book store tonight looking at that book.

I'd say it's worth it - there's a lot of neat info about the production and great pics, as well as interviews with pretty much the entire cast. I'm not even a big POTC fan and I'm enjoying it. Only thing I'd warn you, the book cost (well, the list price says) $24.95, so use your discreton as to whether you want it that much. . . I picked it over another book (priced roughly the same) by virtue of a coin-flip. ;)

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #28 : June 13, 2007, 08:16:44 AM »

I'd say it's worth it - there's a lot of neat info about the production and great pics, as well as interviews with pretty much the entire cast. I'm not even a big POTC fan and I'm enjoying it. Only thing I'd warn you, the book cost (well, the list price says) $24.95, so use your discreton as to whether you want it that much. . . I picked it over another book (priced roughly the same) by virtue of a coin-flip. ;)

Thanks Groggy! O0

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #29 : June 13, 2007, 08:26:37 AM »

I'll go on Sunday. Word of mouth makes me go and see it.
The first one a small masterpiece, easily the best pirate film in 40 years. Loved it. The 1st Bruckheimer I love ;)
The second one a major nightmare. Incredibly bad. Boring. Uninspired.

I was afraid because the 3rd is even longer. 170 minutes. What for? I don't think one has enough talent these
days to make such long films. Only a handful directors could master such long films, and they are all in movie heaven. LEAN, LEONE were the best of those.
Sorry, Coppola is still breathing..

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines