Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 30, 2022, 11:18:27 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Re-watching the movie
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3 4 5
: Re-watching the movie  ( 40591 )
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #15 : July 12, 2007, 07:06:54 PM »

Amazing, in fact.  The best scene in the film, I'd say.

Second best. The finale is tops and even surpasses Yojimbo's lazy climax.One of the best scenes Leone ever directed I say.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #16 : July 12, 2007, 07:09:23 PM »

and offers one of the few SW scores you can listen to without wincing at least once.

Maybe somebody has a better grasp at what MWND was trying to say here because I don't quite understand.
What kind of wincing is associated with other SW scores?

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #17 : July 12, 2007, 07:45:28 PM »

Most spaghetti western scores are great. I never found myself wincing at any upon hearing them. I love them all for the most part. Ennio's score's especially. Very unique original.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
KevinJCBJK

« #18 : July 13, 2007, 08:42:08 AM »

I thought Clint talked too much in A Fistful of Dollars. He is not the best actor, and the fewer the words the better.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #19 : July 19, 2007, 08:27:13 PM »

I'm watching the VHS version of this and i can't help but wonder WHY is it underrated and why did i disliked it so much :-\

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #20 : July 19, 2007, 08:30:43 PM »

I thought Clint talked too much in A Fistful of Dollars. He is not the best actor, and the fewer the words the better.

That might have something to do with his screen time.

In the later entries he has less and less of it.
Leone went Ga-Ga for whatever new american star he could get.

I think he carefully balances the two (LVC and Eastwood) in FAFDM but goes way overboard with Tuco in GBU.

uncknown
Bounty Killer

What about me?

« #21 : July 19, 2007, 09:39:54 PM »

Currently watching RAWHIDE on dvd.
Believe me, he improved tremendously over the years. LOL!

Best Clint moment: after he tells the story about his mule; the Baxters laugh at him;
that LOOK IN CLINT'S EYES! Man, that is so far from Rowdy Yates. How Leone saw TMWNN in eastwood, I'll never know.

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #22 : July 20, 2007, 04:16:38 PM »

How Leone saw TMWNN in eastwood, I'll never know.

He didn't. He just took what $15000 could buy.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #23 : July 20, 2007, 04:26:55 PM »

O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #24 : July 20, 2007, 04:51:34 PM »

As much as Eastwood may have rationalized later, I don't think he half understood what was going on in Almeria his first time around. I don't think he knew where Leone was leading to (I always wondered how much Leone himself knew about it). The fact that he tried to smuggle as his own, in spite of contrary evidence, the idea of the poncho makes me presume that he doesn't like to be reminded that his whole career as a superstar is COMPLETELY indebted to Leone. I think he started to understand things only after he saw the movie (he was sent a copy just after the movie was ready to be released in Italy) with Morricone's score (that would change things a lot, wouldn't it?). I don't believe he had seen Yojimbo (same Eastwood wouldn't  take subsequently the trouble to go and watch DYS, come on). Maybe he perceived something about the infringement of Hollywood rules about violence. But he didn't expect anything from a low-budget western shot by europeans, least of all a subversion of his screen persona.

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

« #25 : July 20, 2007, 05:04:11 PM »

Interviews I've seen of Eastwood, he says that he had seen Yojimbo and admired the film.  It was a consideration for him when he accepted the FOD assignment.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #26 : July 20, 2007, 06:29:46 PM »

It would be interesting to make a reasearch on newspapapers and see where and when Yojimbo was exhibited in California. Anyway, to me Eastwood's is ex-post rationalization.

KevinJCBJK

« #27 : July 20, 2007, 06:33:25 PM »

That might have something to do with his screen time.

In the later entries he has less and less of it.
Leone went Ga-Ga for whatever new american star he could get.

I think he carefully balances the two (LVC and Eastwood) in FAFDM but goes way overboard with Tuco in GBU.

Also Clint wanted to do lesser lines for his character, which is very rare in the actor because they wanted more scenes, more attention. I don't think Leone liked it as much but in the end it was a good move. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly was my favoriite movie as Clint's iconic role, because he had the fewest lines of the main cast, and he was still to me the most memorable characters in the film.

Drunk Captain "What's your name?"

Blondie "Uh..."

really well done. and Clint surely improved as an actor since Rawhide. A Fistful of Dollars was when he started to change.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #28 : July 20, 2007, 08:35:10 PM »

Also Clint wanted to do lesser lines for his character, which is very rare in the actor because they wanted more scenes, more attention.

This is another circumstance worth investigation. That would mean he grasped at once the essence of the character and of the movie. Which I doubt, as he was shooting for the first time with a director who couldn't speak english for life and a crew who could speak it even less.

uncknown
Bounty Killer

What about me?

« #29 : July 20, 2007, 09:14:53 PM »

This is another circumstance worth investigation. That would mean he grasped at once the essence of the character and of the movie. Which I doubt, as he was shooting for the first time with a director who couldn't speak english for life and a crew who could speak it even less.

Hey guys, quit dumping on Clint.
The greatness of the films is due to the holy trinity of Sergio, Ennio, and Clint.
Clint and Sergio have both made claims that turned out to be of dubious merit.
Cut 'em some slack.

nuff said!

« : July 20, 2007, 09:16:57 PM uncknown »

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines