Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:18:37 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  R1 SE DVD release~ Amazing!!!!!!!
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: R1 SE DVD release~ Amazing!!!!!!!  ( 14493 )
Mcbain
Bandido

« : June 07, 2007, 10:28:52 AM »

For those that have not recieved the R1 SE DVD release of DYS as with the other R1 SE releases, you are in for a treat!

157min.
Sound A++++
Picture A++++++
Packaging A+
Story A++++

I have not seen this movie but once in the nineties on a legit edited VHS from Movie Gallery.  For some reason very little stuck with me save the flashback scenes, so for me it was like the first time watching it again.  My wife and I cherished seeing DYS, it is the last time watching something from Leone will have that first time watching feeling :)  I am glad we waited and never sought out a bootleg or R2 release with the PAL speedup.

People the film looks AMAZING :o.  I must say something for the music in this film,...it takes me places O0...some of the finest music Ennio put to film.  It's so hard to put in to words the feeling the music conjures up in conjuntion with the scenes on the screen.  Incredible!  My wife and had a long discussion afterwords regarding the music, we compared it todays' films.  One of things we discussed was how soundtracks today are so simple, they tell you what to feel and it is usually very mindless.  Ennio's music presents a complex soundscape, it is in many ways it own story, in stark contrast to the complex story on the screen, but it works perfectly.  Combine the two, sound and film, your mind gets more to digest, it leaves the viewers thoughts of what they experienced open ended. 

Todays soundtracks simply tell us what to think, quick and simple. A loud crash,.. techno music, synth etc.  Nothing organic whatsoever, no odd intruments i.e banjo, wordless singing, fuzz guitar, strange voices.  Ennio's music was recorded on analog tape which also added it's own natural earth like charactor, I use the same machines he did for my own bands recordings.

A good example of homogenized, soundtrack refuse is found in Hollywoods recent films like "Constant Gardner" or "Blood Diamond" and many others.  Whenever a scene in these new movies of a African village or a crowded urban area is shown, with black people, the drum beating, chanting "world music" is heard.  I do not care that type of music real or Hollywood manufactured but that's besides the point.

I seriously doubt that is the only crap that these people listen too.  Yes I am sure today some black locals in Africa write music like this for a number of reasons, but talking to others that have visited Africa they say they often hear local musicians verison of western pop music played or American Country music :o, The Cars, Bob Dylan etc etc etc.  Whatever they can get their hands on.  It so goofy what Hollywood does with these movies.  "Oh, Mr sound engineer when my scene in my movie of the blacks in that poor village is shown...play that chanting drum thing again you guy's have in the sound library,  just so the audiences know they are in Africa now and it's time to FEEL village like"  ::)

Cheers,

Eric

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #1 : June 07, 2007, 11:01:38 AM »

The music is one of the greatest parts of the movie.

It IS a very strange soundtrack, but it's beautiful and fits the film very well. From Juan's theme with it's "wop, wop" sounds complete with farting and burping noises, to Sean's theme with it's choral refrain of "Sean, Sean, Sean."

The R1 DVD is the same as the UK one I have, but I want the R1 release just for the mono track ( I always prefer 5.1 over mono, but the mono track has the original music cues ).

Mcbain
Bandido

« #2 : June 07, 2007, 11:17:10 AM »

The music is one of the greatest parts of the movie.

It IS a very strange soundtrack, but it's beautiful and fits the film very well. From Juan's theme with it's "wop, wop" sounds complete with farting and burping noises, to Sean's theme with it's choral refrain of "Sean, Sean, Sean."

The R1 DVD is the same as the UK one I have, but I want the R1 release just for the mono track ( I always prefer 5.1 over mono, but the mono track has the original music cues ).

wop wop..I love it!!!

I would also get it for the non-speedup issues.  If you used a R1 player with power convertor on a NTSC monitor you could see the film without the pal speedup.

Cheers,

Eric

Mcbain
Bandido

« #3 : June 07, 2007, 11:39:32 AM »

Ok...is there anything missing from the R1 SE DVD release??  If so what and how much?  I understand we have mono soundtrack intact and sounding the best it has ever, plus and no 4% speedup making this the finest edition to date.

Thanks for any info in advance :)

Cheers,

Eric

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #4 : June 07, 2007, 08:24:24 PM »

The R1 and R2 releases are exactly the same except for different menus and artwork, oh and no PAL speed-up and mono track.

Besides that, they're the same. You should watch the film again with the mono track. I love the 5.1 surround sound (the explosions are kick-ass) but the 5.1 track has incorrect musical cues for many scenes. During the flashback where Sean kills his friend in the pub, there is a different version of the Sean theme which I prefer on the mono track.

Mcbain
Bandido

« #5 : June 08, 2007, 09:13:40 AM »

The R1 and R2 releases are exactly the same except for different menus and artwork, oh and no PAL speed-up and mono track.

Besides that, they're the same. You should watch the film again with the mono track. I love the 5.1 surround sound (the explosions are kick-ass) but the 5.1 track has incorrect musical cues for many scenes. During the flashback where Sean kills his friend in the pub, there is a different version of the Sean theme which I prefer on the mono track.

Hi Peacekeeper------------------>  Thanks for the break down.  To be clear I was asking what if anything is missing of any footage from any release in it's history.  Or footage that exist but has never been used yet?  I ask because it seems this film has a half a dozen versions floating around.

Whatever the case...The movie is a masterpiece, the ending is sad and I wish Sean would have lived :'(.  After watching the special features I really respect the fact that leone was critical of glorification of revolutions, and the left wing filmakers who made films at this time about revolutions being "cool" or good etc.  I have even more regard for Leone for not taking the popular path of his peers O0.

Cheers,

Eric

Mcbain
Bandido

« #6 : June 08, 2007, 09:49:22 AM »

You should watch the film again with the mono track.

Hey Peacemaker------->  I did and we LOOOOVVVVVEEEEDDD It :).  It sounded superb!

Cheers,

Eric

SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

« #7 : June 09, 2007, 03:21:00 AM »

Got my copy last Thursday. I'ts great. Love this film.
I've been waiting ages for this release. Just had time to scan it FF.
I'll take time to screen it this WE with Sir Christopher's commentaries.
A missing scene might be Villega's being tortured, but it is unclear if Sergio edited it out himself as he did with Harmonica's beating in OUATITW. All I've ever seen is that picture in the shadows.
Anyway, it is one of my all time favorites. Makes one wonder how better it would have been if Sergio had really wanted to direct it. Even half hearted he was able to crank out another masterpiece. Phenomenal!
BTW picked up the collector's editions of FAFDM & GBU at the same time.

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

« #8 : June 09, 2007, 05:24:26 AM »

Congrats McBain O0. I can't say enough about this film. The character development, the acting and
especially the haunting score.  Ennio's music in this movie is almost operatic O0

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #9 : June 09, 2007, 09:10:16 AM »

:'(

Here in Hungary there's no DYS dvd... we needed a R2 version. Uncut... with mono AND with 5.1...

I have seen it in italian - a little strange. But I think it was okay, the final flashback was in...

Have anyone seen the deleted desert torture scene?

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #10 : June 09, 2007, 09:38:38 AM »

Hey Jill, would you like my UK SE edition of DYS?

I bought it last year because I was fed up with waiting for a R1 release, but now I'm going to get the US DVD soon.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #11 : June 09, 2007, 01:24:01 PM »

mmm... it has no hungarian subtitles, I think... yeah, I know english, but not good enough. ;)

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #12 : June 09, 2007, 01:25:40 PM »

I really can't understand why some people don't like the music in this film... I loved it. It wasn't exactly that traditional Morricone sound from Dollars trilogy, but the better... For example, with the bank scene - the music punctuated the comedy it turned out to be...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #13 : June 09, 2007, 04:11:43 PM »

I haven't seen the film, haven't heard the soundtrack of the film, it's all gonna be new to me the first time I see this! It's on it's way in the mail as I type this. Hopefully it comes Monday! I can't wait much longer!

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

« #14 : June 09, 2007, 06:04:27 PM »

I haven't seen the film, haven't heard the soundtrack of the film, it's all gonna be new to me the first time I see this! It's on it's way in the mail as I type this. Hopefully it comes Monday! I can't wait much longer!
So lucky, you are.
I lived the experience you are about to have back in 1971. And I still rank this film in my top 20. Saw it in a theatre though.

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines