Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2021, 12:27:54 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  AFI Top 100
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: AFI Top 100  ( 23632 )
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

« #15 : June 22, 2007, 03:21:07 PM »

Yes, OUATITW and OUATIA were both considered for the scores list.  Given that, how in the world did OUATITW not make a 100 list?  I think The Third Man has similarities to those two Leone films.   One thinks of it as a British film, but it did have joint production credits (Alexander Korda and David O. Selznick), and was eligible for consideration.  It ranked 57 on the previous list.  It dropped off the list while Toy Story, Cabaret and Spartacus have been added.  Makes me scratch my head.... wondering how the responses were weighed.

I couldn't find the voting guidelines.  Guess it was similar process to the scores.  They did have this list of "interesting facts" about the list.

INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE LIST

Ten years after AFI originally polled its expert jury about the 100 greatest movies of all time, CITIZEN KANE tops the list at #1 again, proving it's a film that stands the test of time.
Films that also made the top 10 include: THE GODFATHER (#2), CASABLANCA (#3), RAGING BULL (#4), SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (#5), GONE WITH THE WIND (#6), LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (#7), SCHINDLER'S LIST (#8), VERTIGO (#9) and THE WIZARD OF OZ (#10).

Other interesting facts about the 2007 list include:

This is the first year that RAGING BULL and VERTIGO have made the top 10. They were ranked #24 and #61 respectively when the original AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies poll was conducted in 1997.

THE GRADUATE and ON THE WATERFRONT both stay on the list, but drop from their 1997 positions in the top 10. They now hold new positions at #17 (THE GRADUATE) and #19 (ON THE WATERFRONT).

Out of the 43 newly eligible films released from 1996 to 2006, only THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (#50), SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (#71), TITANIC (#83) and THE SIXTH SENSE (#89) made the cut.

There are 19 other new additions to the list: THE GENERAL (#18), INTOLERANCE (#49), NASHVILLE (#59), SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS (#61), CABARET (#63), WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? (#67), THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (#72), IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT (#75), ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN (#77), SPARTACUS (#81), SUNRISE (#82), A NIGHT AT THE OPERA (#85), 12 ANGRY MEN (#87), SWING TIME (#90), SOPHIE'S CHOICE (#91), THE LAST PICTURE SHOW (#95), DO THE RIGHT THING (#96), BLADE RUNNER (#97) and TOY STORY (#99).

John Ford's epic Western THE SEARCHERS moved up the list the most of any film--rising 84 spots to a new position at #12. CITY LIGHTS, VERTIGO and UNFORGIVEN also rose prominently, moving from #76 to #11 (CITY LIGHTS); #61 TO #9 (VERTIGO) and #98 to #68 (UNFORGIVEN).

Steven Spielberg is the most represented director with five films: ET, JAWS, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, SCHINDLER'S LIST. Spielberg was the most represented director on AFI's original list--also with five films. (CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND was replaced by SAVING PRIVATE RYAN as the fifth entry.) Directors Alfred Hitchcock, Stanley Kubrick and Billy Wilder each have four films on the list. Frank Capra, Charles Chaplin, Francis Ford Coppola, John Huston and Martin Scorsese each have three.

Robert De Niro and James Stewart are the most represented actors with five films each. Faye Dunaway, Katharine Hepburn and Diane Keaton are the most represented actresses with three films each.

Three years tie for most represented year, each with four films: 1982 (E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL, TOOTSIE, BLADE RUNNER, SOPHIE'S CHOICE); 1976 (NETWORK, TAXI DRIVER, ROCKY, ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN); 1969 (BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID, MIDNIGHT COWBOY, EASY RIDER, THE WILD BUNCH).

The earliest film represented is INTOLERANCE (1916) and the most recent is THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (2001).

The 1970s is the most represented decade with 20 entries.

Four silent films are featured on the list--and three are new additions: THE GENERAL ((#17), INTOLERANCE (#49) and SUNRISE (#82). MODERN TIMES rounds out the list as the fourth entry, moving up three places to #78.

SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS (#34) and TOY STORY (#99) represent the two animated films on the list.

There are six musicals on the list: CABARET, SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, WEST SIDE STORY, THE WIZARD OF OZ and YANKEE DOODLE DANDY.

Only three films hold their original positions on the list: CITIZEN KANE (#1), THE GODFATHER PART II (#32) and THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (#37).

23 films dropped off the list: DR. ZHIVAGO (former #39), THE BIRTH OF A NATION (former #44), FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (former #52), AMADEUS (former #53), ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT (former #54), THE THIRD MAN (former #57), FANTASIA (former #58), REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (former #59), STAGECOACH (former #63), CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (former #64), THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (former #67), AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (former #68), WUTHERING HEIGHTS (former #73), DANCES WITH WOLVES (former #75), GIANT (former #82), FARGO (former #84), MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (former #86), FRANKENSTEIN (former #87), PATTON (former #89), THE JAZZ SINGER (former #90), MY FAIR LADY (former #91), A PLACE IN THE SUN (former #92) and GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER (former #99).

« : June 22, 2007, 03:28:00 PM Noodles_SlowStir »
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #16 : June 22, 2007, 03:29:05 PM »

With or without Leone, this list is obscene. Or, better: is pure Hollywood.

poderator
Bandido

« #17 : June 23, 2007, 02:23:29 AM »

Yeah, Paramount and MGM invested their money into Sergio's movies, so they must have some right to thiese movies, or not? 
Also , what's  the thing with the animated movies? (Snow White and Toy Story). I thought that they suppose to be in a separate list, afterall they have different making process than standard movies?
If this was a list of the Japanese movies, I guess creators of this chart would be in trouble :D

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #18 : June 23, 2007, 05:00:48 AM »

My reaction can be summed up by the following:

WHAT HAPPENED!? WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED!?!?!?!?!?!?!  :o

« : June 23, 2007, 05:02:42 AM Groggy »

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #19 : June 23, 2007, 05:10:23 AM »

Now this is what pisses me off:

23 films dropped off the list: DR. ZHIVAGO (former #39), THE BIRTH OF A NATION (former #44), FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (former #52), AMADEUS (former #53), ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT (former #54), THE THIRD MAN (former #57), FANTASIA (former #58), REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (former #59), STAGECOACH (former #63), CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (former #64), THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (former #67), AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (former #68), WUTHERING HEIGHTS (former #73), DANCES WITH WOLVES (former #75), GIANT (former #82), FARGO (former #84), MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (former #86), FRANKENSTEIN (former #87), PATTON (former #89), THE JAZZ SINGER (former #90), MY FAIR LADY (former #91), A PLACE IN THE SUN (former #92) and GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER (former #99).

Not all of those films might be masterpieces, but they're more deserving of being on the list than "Toy Story" (which I love, but belongs nowhere near an AFI list), "The Sixth Sense" (a predictable, mediocre horror film), "Titanic" (okay but not a masterpiece), the LOTR movie (the best of the trilogy, to be fair). . . Just look at some of the movies that got bumped off the list. . . appalling.

« : June 23, 2007, 05:23:25 AM Groggy »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #20 : June 23, 2007, 08:00:42 AM »

The obscene side of the affair is that people get payed to do that.

Rblondie
Bandido

Lincoln's grandfather

« #21 : June 23, 2007, 12:12:29 PM »

Any list of 100 greatest films which doesn't include "The Hustler" (1961) makes it a bogus list.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #22 : June 23, 2007, 03:47:41 PM »

How about "Birth of a Nation" being knocked off the list? As putrid as it is with its pro-KKK ideology, it is probably
the single most innovate film in American cinema at least, maybe even world cinema. I wouldn't even mind that so much, as that they took off and replaced it with a much more PC D.W. Griffith film. . . "Intolerance". That makes their agenda rather blatant, don'tcha think? ::)

« : June 23, 2007, 03:49:17 PM Groggy »

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #23 : June 23, 2007, 03:49:48 PM »

Overall the list SUCKS in my opinion.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #24 : June 23, 2007, 04:14:13 PM »

Well, let's be fair. I'm not crazy about the original AFI list either. But this one just sucks.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #25 : June 24, 2007, 01:21:42 PM »

Well, let's be fair. I'm not crazy about the original AFI list either. But this one just sucks.

I'm not saying I didn't love many films on this list. I did. It's just that, some of the films placements, and the fact that some GREAT films are missing, films that are better than one's that appeared in my opinion, really pisses me off.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Rojo Ramone
Bandido

« #26 : June 25, 2007, 11:25:54 AM »

I don't care what AFI thinks is great.

They're tribute to Clint Eastwood omitted his SW beginnings.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #27 : June 25, 2007, 12:33:33 PM »

Not surprising, as SWs are beyond the purview of the AFI.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #28 : June 25, 2007, 03:34:25 PM »

Not surprising, as SWs are beyond the purview of the AFI.

Fair enough, and to be honest I'm not too upset that Leone isn't listed on the AFI Top 100, since:

1. Only two of his films could be considered to be technically American - OUATITW and OUATIA; and
2. He's not really held in that high regard, in America at least, so it's not too surprising (if perhaps unjust)

I would be more surprised if any of his films were listed, quite frankly.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #29 : June 25, 2007, 06:00:23 PM »

The list was absolutely terrible, but the show itself was enjoyable.

: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines