Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 30, 2022, 09:55:28 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Which artifacts have you 'salvaged' from Almeria?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Which artifacts have you 'salvaged' from Almeria?  ( 3591 )
marqkin

« : July 02, 2007, 05:23:21 AM »

After returning from a 2 week Leone film location scouting expedition to Almeria, I was wondering if any other Leone fans managed to bring home any 'artifacts' from the various filming locations?
I managed to bring back half a brick from the 'Flagstone' set (Once Upon A Time In The West); part of the blown-up coach from 'Duck You Sucker' (Fistful of Dynamite); a stone from the opening sequence of 'For A Few Dollars More'; a couple of bolts ( heavy!!) from the now dis-used Guadic railway line (Good, Bad, Ugly etc..);  3 bricks from the bridge in 'Duck You Sucker'; part of a tyre from a sequence in 'Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade'; various sand samples from the sand dunes (Good, Bad, Ugly); Monsul Beach sand (used in 'Blindman'; 'Indiana Jones' etc...
Have any other fans brought back similar 'artifacts'????
Personally, I get a great thrill from watching a scene in a movie - looking down - and then handling what is - basically - a part of the scene that I'm watching!!
One word of warning..... my case was blimmin' heavy...packed with Tabernas Desert soil, Indiana Jones' car, railway line, sand dunes samples, parts of Indio's cell, etc...
I'd be very interested to hear from other 'artifact' hunters who fell it necessary to haul half of the Almeria region back in a suitcase.....
Adios for now...
Marqkin.....

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #1 : July 02, 2007, 08:18:15 AM »

That kind of "artifacts" are nice but you have to be very careful with them. If everyone would take samples the dunes, soon there would be no dunes at all  ;D ;D. Seriously, look what has happened with the arch from OUATITW in Monument Valley  :'(. I don't want to sound like an ass here, great that you can have something from the sets  O0, I wish I had, too. But that kind of behavior can lead to a situation where there are no sets for other fans to visit. So you just have to use your brain at that kind of situations.

But congratulations! O0

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
El Mal
Chicken Thief

Western history fan. Born in Birmingham, UK.

« #2 : July 03, 2007, 12:19:29 PM »

I picked up a couple of small broken bricks that had fallen into scrub grass at the base of the saloon building (OUATITW) at Flagstone. I didn't dig them out of the wall or anything like that! Anyway the farmer has made minimal repairs to the building to house his sheep and wouldn't have been interested in the broken bricks. I only had to pop them in the boot (back) of my car! I am a bit concerned about the deterioration of the Cortijo Del Fraile buildings, near Albaricoques & Rodalquilar (GBU etc). Nobody in Spain seems interested in preserving it. And the circle of stones (corn ring) at Los Albaricoques has practically gone and,no, I didn't "nick" any of them!

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #3 : July 03, 2007, 01:22:55 PM »

And the circle of stones (corn ring) at Los Albaricoques has practically gone and,no, I didn't "nick" any of them!
Do you happen to mean this:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=5804.0

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
El Mal
Chicken Thief

Western history fan. Born in Birmingham, UK.

« #4 : July 04, 2007, 04:57:18 AM »

Thanks moviesceleton for bringing me up to date with your pics. I was in Los Albaricoques  just over a year ago and the impression was that builders were practically demolishing the ring. Old Proverb "No condition is permanent". Anyway my partner and I are making a return visit to Almeria tomorrow and will now make a detour on the way to check out Los Albaricoques again in the light of this news. I had planned to search the area for a, not too expensive, holiday home (I live a couple of hours up the coast on the Costa Blanca). It would be my ideal to own an apartment overlooking the FDM shootout spot. Hey!! But as the Cabo De Gata is a protected area and as a consequence seems to have limited new builds (unlike Torrevieja where I live) then I imagine the prices could be quite high. I guess they would be bought by speculative investors to rent out to some of you rich Americans! (Me English!)

I would have posted a pic from May 2006 showing the state of the site then but I've forgotten how to upload images into my messages. I think I used ImageShack before but you need an address to send to, don't you? If anybody can put me straight on that I'll post some pics.

If I have anything interesting to report when we return I'll post it. (Pics subject to problem as above) By the way if anyone wants to know of a very friendly and homely Bed & Breakfast place at Tabernas I can strongly recommend Shirley Cook's home with pool and En Suites for around 35E a room. accommodation@avired.com. That's where we'll be staying.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines