Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2021, 07:02:41 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  New "official" Man With No Name comics....
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3 4
: New "official" Man With No Name comics....  ( 19408 )
Eric
Gunslinger

« : July 12, 2007, 09:16:16 AM »

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=120536

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #1 : July 12, 2007, 10:37:13 AM »

This is pretty cool news. Thanks Eric!

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #2 : July 12, 2007, 01:16:30 PM »

I was pretty happy with what was being said through most of the interview. The guy seemed to respect the material and had a reasonable approach for extending it. Then I got to the end:

NRAMA: Wrapping things up, how about teasing out your first story a bit…where do things start, and where do they roll from there?

CG: We're waiting for MGM to sign off on this, so it's not yet official, but this is what Dynamite and I have submitted as the first arc. It's a six-issue arc that functions as a sequel of sorts to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. The Man has a hundred thousand dollars worth of Confederate gold; that's the good news. The bad news is, the Union Army is after him for blowing up the bridge they were trying to seize and the Confederates are after him because they know he has their money. So he's trying to stay off the beaten path. Riding through the desert, he comes upon a dying priest who tells him that the Catholic Mission seen in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - whose monks saved his life - is under siege by an army of bandits, primarily deserters from both the Union and the Confederacy. They're after a treasure the mission supposedly has. The monks and the wounded men they care for are in terrible danger. The priest begs The Man for help, then dies. The Man tells himself it's none of his concern; he has his own problems. He starts to continue with his journey…then, cursing, he turns and heads toward the Mission.

That's the setup. There will be one character in the story who we also saw in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Father Ramirez, Tuco's brother. But our story should stand on its own for new readers; anyone who hasn't seen the films - putting aside the fact that they should! - will be told all they need to know to follow the story.

Yikes! That sounds kinda lame.....

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Eric
Gunslinger

« #3 : July 13, 2007, 11:26:48 AM »

That setup might sound lame, but I have faith in Gage, who is one of the best of the new crop of young comic writers....

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #4 : July 13, 2007, 03:43:28 PM »

Bringing back Father Ramirez seems like forcing things. Why won't just some generic monk do as well? Maybe they don't want to give too much away, and in fact Tuco will also reappear, near the end. Otherwise there really isn't any reason to use the same monastery and Father Ramirez.

Yet another hidden treasure? Talk about leaning on the old formula. Of course, not doubt this time the twist will be that the treasure doesn't really exist, or is in some form that Blondie (or Tuco) can't use. Anyway, these guys can't be making a score every adventure, or pretty soon they'd just retire.

The Confederate and the Union forces are both after Blondie? First, how does Dixie know he has their money? There were no witnesses, and I can't see either Blondie or Tuco publishing the facts of the matter. As far as blowing up the bridge goes: if that was an issue, the blue bellies wouldn't have let Tuco and Blondie go to begin with. Second, in the middle of a war, you don't waste time running these guys down because there are a thousand and one other things to worry about. You might make a note to pick those guys up after the war, or to be on the lookout for them in case the fall into your lap, but no way would you squander precious resources trying to run them down.

Maybe something good can come of this set-up, but it doesn't sound promising. 

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #5 : July 13, 2007, 05:11:08 PM »

The Confederate and the Union forces are both after Blondie? First, how does Dixie know he has their money? There were no witnesses, and I can't see either Blondie or Tuco publishing the facts of the matter. As far as blowing up the bridge goes: if that was an issue, the blue bellies wouldn't have let Tuco and Blondie go to begin with. Second, in the middle of a war, you don't waste time running these guys down because there are a thousand and one other things to worry about. You might make a note to pick those guys up after the war, or to be on the lookout for them in case the fall into your lap, but no way would you squander precious resources trying to run them down.

Agreed ! O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #6 : August 05, 2007, 04:44:28 AM »

I'm not sure if I want a similar thing like what happened to Star Wars happen to the other universe nicknamed SW... moreover, Leone isn't alive, which makes it different from Star Wars, where Lucas still can do something about it, if he wants to...

But at the same time, each stands on its own. That's the approach I'd like to take with the comic…rather than a continuity-heavy approach, I'd like each story to work by itself;

Well, then why bother with all the things from GBU?

« : August 05, 2007, 04:46:24 AM marmota-b »

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #7 : August 05, 2007, 03:21:16 PM »

This is BS, if Sergio Leone (or his estate), Luciano Vincenzoni, Fulvio Morsella, or Sergio Donati, aren't involved how could it be anything but a load of crap. You need a Roman influence and a picaresque point of view, imo.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #8 : August 15, 2007, 07:57:12 PM »

I was never fond of the Joe Millard books, I read a grand total of one and it was not the same, in fact Tuco calls Blondie "Whitey" in it, what was up with that?.

Better to create a whole new character,

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #9 : August 16, 2007, 12:36:15 AM »

Right. This seems to go in the latest trend of remakes, doesn't it?

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Mw/NNrules

« #10 : August 27, 2007, 01:26:07 PM »

Right. This seems to go in the latest trend of remakes, doesn't it?
In a way, I'd rather have a whole new character, because I don't like shot by shot remakes (unless it's done in a whole different style like FoD and some other stuff I can't think of now), and so forth. On the other hand, this isn't just any character. It's the Man with No Name.
Bringing back Father Ramirez seems like forcing things. Why won't just some generic monk do as well? Maybe they don't want to give too much away, and in fact Tuco will also reappear, near the end. Otherwise there really isn't any reason to use the same monastery and Father Ramirez.

Yet another hidden treasure? Talk about leaning on the old formula. Of course, not doubt this time the twist will be that the treasure doesn't really exist, or is in some form that Blondie (or Tuco) can't use. Anyway, these guys can't be making a score every adventure, or pretty soon they'd just retire.

Agreed. If he says he wants to stick w/ the Mw/NN style, he shouldn't have it be like a direct sequel or something. I wouldn't mind a story which showed how he met Tuco or Angel Eyes, but they shouldn't effect each others lives as if they've  known each other for a long time.
Anyways, I read a comic by Gage in my spare time, it was called Union Jack: London Falling. It was okay, but I don't like how twisted the Marvel universe has gotten. It's like the Hulk crosses Spiderman on the street and says "Wanna get a beer?", or something.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #11 : August 28, 2007, 12:31:14 AM »

Agreed. If he says he wants to stick w/ the Mw/NN style, he shouldn't have it be like a direct sequel or something.

Exactly my feelings.

SIGcurious
Road Apple

« #12 : February 19, 2008, 08:01:54 PM »

Here is an update on the Man With No Name comics series:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=13037

It includes the different cover art for the first issue.  Myself ... I don't really like the looks of either one of them. 

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

« #13 : February 19, 2008, 08:49:36 PM »

zombie eastwood??!?

im not liking this...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #14 : February 20, 2008, 04:46:54 PM »

I hope he dies spitting blood & of the cholera, the A-hole has no right to screw with this.

We all can email christosgage@aol.com  him since there is a link to his website & his email.

« : February 20, 2008, 04:49:48 PM cigar joe »

: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines