Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 11:10:40 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate the Last CD You Listened To
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30
: Rate the Last CD You Listened To  ( 160570 )
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #405 : October 02, 2008, 03:28:16 PM »

I can't get this song out of my head. It's brilliant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2YnDlEMXiU&feature=related

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #406 : October 11, 2008, 09:36:55 AM »

Over the Years and Through the Woods-Queens of the Stone Age

Awesome live dvd/cd. QOTSA are my favorite band now.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #407 : October 11, 2008, 10:04:56 AM »

Over the Years and Through the Woods-Queens of the Stone Age

Awesome live dvd/cd. QOTSA are my favorite band now.
I once tried watching a concert of theirs on TV but I really couldn't get into it. The only song I like is No On Knows. I also like the music video for 3's & 7's.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #408 : October 11, 2008, 10:27:33 AM »

I once tried watching a concert of theirs on TV but I really couldn't get into it. The only song I like is No On Knows. I also like the music video for 3's & 7's.

to each his own O0 If anything you should really check out there cd Lullabies to Paralyze. You could stream it for free from here.

http://free.napster.com/

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #409 : October 13, 2008, 06:38:55 AM »

Tool: Lateralus - 8/10
A friend of mine from whom I borrowed the album warned me that it was a bit dull, songs don't lead anywhere etc. Well, I can certainly see something like that but the album grows on you after a few listenings. Right now I don't think it's as good as the other Tool albums but I'll propably end up buying it eventually. Tracks are much more complex than on the previous two albums, there's only one song that could possibly be played on radio (as it has been). But 78 minutes and 58 seconds is just too long running time for an album. 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #410 : October 13, 2008, 07:35:30 AM »

But 78 minutes and 58 seconds is just too long running time for an album. 
78:58 for a single track would be too long, but for an album? It is, after all, called an album for a reason. You can take it up and play a single track, or as many tracks as you desire. Nothing demands that you suffer the thing in its entirety at every sitting. I'm not talking about this album in particular (I know nothing about it), I'm just insisting that the "album" concept need have no time constraints.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #411 : October 13, 2008, 10:00:21 AM »

78:58 for a single track would be too long, but for an album? It is, after all, called an album for a reason. You can take it up and play a single track, or as many tracks as you desire. Nothing demands that you suffer the thing in its entirety at every sitting. I'm not talking about this album in particular (I know nothing about it), I'm just insisting that the "album" concept need have no time constraints.
I see your point. I usually listen albums through without skipping songs or anything but that's not definitive. If there's a crappy song, I may skip it, or I may just listen to my favorite tracks. But there are artists to whom an album is the basic unit of music rather than a song. Tool is more or less this kind of a band. They're not saying that you couldn't enjoy the songs separately, but the album is supposed to be more than just the sum of the songs on it. So, to hear the piece of art they meant it to be you have to listen it straight through, and my personal opinion is that that way it's too long.

EDIT: I wrote the original review in a rush, so I'll continue a little bit here. As I've said before, Tool is one of my favorite bands but I can't stop wondering about some of their (= Maynard James Keenan's) lyrics. How can somebody as intelligent as he seems to be believe in that new age nonsense? Like this:
So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical,
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
- Reflection

So, we're all one mind, huh? And the last track of Lateralus, Faaip de Oiad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83R54yAB5Cw), is an experimental track consisting of noise and a recording of a 1997 call on Art Bell's radio program Coast to Coast AM where a wacko talks about how the government is not telling the truth of the existence of aliens. I'm not sure whether track is a joke or not, but I find it possible that the band actually believes in that crap :-\ And what's worse, there are fans that believe in everything they say...

But on the other hand Keenan has written some excellent lyrics too, like Vicarious(http://toolshed.down.net/lyrics/10kdayslyrics.php#01), Right in Two (http://toolshed.down.net/lyrics/10kdayslyrics.php#10) and ├ćnema (http://toolshed.down.net/lyrics/aenimalyrics.php#13) which has its share of stupidity but anyway a great message and nice rhyming.

« : October 13, 2008, 10:58:37 AM moviesceleton »

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #412 : October 14, 2008, 08:45:18 PM »

Tool: Lateralus - 8/10
A friend of mine from whom I borrowed the album warned me that it was a bit dull, songs don't lead anywhere etc. Well, I can certainly see something like that but the album grows on you after a few listenings. Right now I don't think it's as good as the other Tool albums but I'll propably end up buying it eventually. Tracks are much more complex than on the previous two albums, there's only one song that could possibly be played on radio (as it has been). But 78 minutes and 58 seconds is just too long running time for an album. 

Yes, this was described to me as the most "amazing album ever" by my cousin who's a huge fan of Tool and Dream Theater.  Naturally, I disregarded his opinion and have not sought it out.

Well here I will have to, to an extent, disagree.  I will agree that 95% of groups approach an album as a collection of songs, but I can cite many albums I've heard which are much enjoyable when listening to the work as a whole.

I think I first realized this when listening to Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" album.  I've listened to the title track (which is the second track) many times.  I always found it enjoyable, but a little drawn out and meandering.  However, one day I was actively listening to the whole album (as opposed to putting it on while I do something else).  I sat back and really listened to everything that was going on in the double album, from start to finish.  The song Bitches Brew starts off with a slow, one note, throbbing bass line, which doesn't leave a huge impression when you're listening to the song by itself.

However, when I listened to it after the intense, tight musical odyssey that is Joe Zawinul's "Pharoah's Dance," the first track on the album, this bass line felt exhilarating, filled with tension, and, quite frankly, ingenious.

You may be right that the album should feel no time constraint, but it also seems to me that sometimes songs take on new light in context of how the album has built up to it at that point. 

Think of it this way... Tuco's run around the cemetery is an undeniably good scene.  But, does it have the same power when taken out of context of everything that's built up to it?  It's like taking the song "Flash Light" off of Parliament's beautiful tongue-in-cheek concept album Funkentelechy vs. The Placebo Syndrome.  It was a #1 hit, but it's indescribably better when you've heard what comes up to it.

So, often times artists use the album as the greater unit than the song (think Hot Rats, which the liner notes declare is a "Movie for your Ears"), so I think it's acceptable to complain about the length of an album.  My main complaint with Trout Mask Replica is its length...

« : October 14, 2008, 08:50:21 PM Silenzio »
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #413 : October 15, 2008, 03:18:05 AM »

Not to talk about songs that have been split on two or more tracks for what ever reason. If you listen to them separately the first track stops suddenly and the following starts from nowhere. This is very common on Tool albums. For example, on 10,000 Days there's a duo, Wings for Marie parts 1 and 2. They also have preludes that lead to the actual song: Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned, Intermission/jimmy. Another example of songs split on several tracks is Mushrooms, an eight track entirety on Kingston Wall's debut album. But these, of course, are exceptions.

I think, that to some extent, the 50min mark in music could be considered the same as what the 90min mark is in movies. If you go beyond that, you'd better have a good reason. That is not to say that you couldn't go double beyond that, but it's a rule of thumb. 

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #414 : October 15, 2008, 02:37:48 PM »

I think, that to some extent, the 50min mark in music could be considered the same as what the 90min mark is in movies. If you go beyond that, you'd better have a good reason. That is not to say that you couldn't go double beyond that, but it's a rule of thumb. 

I think it's hard to pinpoint a specific time, since the pacing and contents of the product have a lot to do with how you perceive the length.

For instance, I was getting bored towards the end of Lars and the Real Girl, but GBU seems to fly by every time I watch it.  And the one time I listened to the album "Reign in Blood," it felt like it took a lot more time than albums more than twice as long that i listen to regularly, like Emergency! by the Tony Williams Lifetime.

On a completely unrelated note (but not one that was worthy of its own thread): are there any members on here that you can't help but associate with an old avatar, even though they moved on from it a long time ago... Like, I can't help but think of the red Charles Bronson avatar when someone mentions Dave Jenkins, Moviesceleton is still the black-and-white Leone caricature, and Groggy still reminds me of the avatar with Henry Fonda puffin' on a big ol' cigar.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #415 : October 16, 2008, 01:46:05 AM »

I think it's hard to pinpoint a specific time, since the pacing and contents of the product have a lot to do with how you perceive the length.

For instance, I was getting bored towards the end of Lars and the Real Girl, but GBU seems to fly by every time I watch it.  And the one time I listened to the album "Reign in Blood," it felt like it took a lot more time than albums more than twice as long that i listen to regularly, like Emergency! by the Tony Williams Lifetime.
Well, that was part of my point. Some albums and movies are so bad that every minute of them is too much. And then there are albums and movies hours long and yet the don't bore you. But IMO, if there are such "critical" points for albums and movies, they are around 50 min and 90 min. Of course, both of those were originally industry standards, so it could be just a question of being used to something...

On a completely unrelated note (but not one that was worthy of its own thread): are there any members on here that you can't help but associate with an old avatar, even though they moved on from it a long time ago... Like, I can't help but think of the red Charles Bronson avatar when someone mentions Dave Jenkins, Moviesceleton is still the black-and-white Leone caricature, and Groggy still reminds me of the avatar with Henry Fonda puffin' on a big ol' cigar.
Yeah, I do associate certain members with their old avatars. Like FC with the other Coburn pic, Tuco Harmonica with the pic where Claudia wears a yellow shirt and Atlas with the pic of a zombie from Day of the Dead (I think). And didn't Peacemaker have a Bronson avatar at some point?   

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #416 : October 16, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »

And didn't Peacemaker have a Bronson avatar at some point?  

Yeah, that was one I forgot to mention.

But I've PM-ed and MSN-ed with FC enough to the point where his aura transcends avatar-ism. (Hey, those sound like Tool lyrics).

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #417 : October 17, 2008, 12:34:57 AM »

Yeah, that was one I forgot to mention.

But I've PM-ed and MSN-ed with FC enough to the point where his aura transcends avatar-ism. (Hey, those sound like Tool lyrics).
;D

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #418 : October 24, 2008, 08:34:10 PM »

Improvisczario by Bernie Worrell -- 8/10.  Great, just great.  The first song sets you up with a soft yet intense percussion reminiscent of Hancock's "Vein Melter."  From then on you get served great amounts of jazzed up funk.  Mike Gordon of Phish plays banjo on the tune "Up In The Hills," which to my surprise was actually just them jamming on Lunchmeataphobia (Think! It Ain't Illegal Yet) from the One Nation Under a Groove album.    Warren Haynes also makes an appearance on a funk-rock tune called Dirty and an instrumental piece called Killer Mosquito.  I usually love Warren, but his playing left me feeling a little cold on here.  Also, the more experimental tracks towards the end of the album lost my interest sometimes.  The rating may go up with repeat listenings.

Floating Point by John McLaughlin -- 9/10.  Wow!  This album has really polarized opinions among jazzbos, with some hating it and some loving it.  I think the people who hate it are mainly people stuck in the past.   On Amazon, people who hated it seemed to not like John's use of synthesizer guitar effects etc.  Baaaah, cry me a river.  Like his mentor Miles, McLaughlin never stays in the same place for too long.  He's a constantly evolving artist, and probably the only Jazzman in history who can live up to Miles in terms of evolution in musicianship.  McLaughlin will never record another album that sounds like Inner Mounting Flame, or even one that sounds like Belo Horizonte, and that is what makes him great.

Anyway, in a shift from rambling to reviewing, the music to be found in here is stellar.  McLaughlin's out-there scalar work and patterns are in top form, and so are all of the musicians on this album.  The percussionists are very, very busy, and very polyrhythmic.  Kind of like a more rocking Shakti, but with a traditional drum kit.   The electric sitar, mandolin, and some kind of eastern slide guitar instrument sound great with McLaughlin's current composing style.  It's east-meets-west with enough raga to satisfy the Shakti-ites, and enough fusiony tunes like Five Peace Band to satisfy Mahavishnu junkies.

Also, Downbeat magazine gave this a 5 out of 5, which is apparently unheard of for modern jazz.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #419 : November 10, 2008, 06:27:30 AM »

Vulgar Display of Power by Pantera - 8/10
The first five songs are good, after that there are only two songs (Live in a Hole and By Demons Be Driven) that are of the same quality. But there's only one song I'd call downright bad (or maybe it just doesn't fit this album): Hollow, the last track. The slower and groovier song the better it sounds what comes to this album.

: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines