Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2021, 06:35:56 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Harmonica's Holster / concealed gun....
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Harmonica's Holster / concealed gun....  ( 3349 )
marqkin

« : August 11, 2007, 03:48:25 AM »

Watching OUATITW the other day, I noticed that only at the end of the film - the climatic duel between Harmonica and Frank - that Harmonica is wearing a gunbelt for the first time....and I was wondering if anyone has any theories as to why this is so??
In Harmonica's first gunfight with the 3 gunmen at 'Cattle Corner', at the beginning of the film, his gun is concealed/hidden in/behind his bag....giving the 'impression' that he is, perhaps, unarmed....
In his 2nd gunfight, he shoots 2 of Frank's men galloping towards him at the 'Sweetwater Ranch'.
Here, he again has no holster, and, indeed, uses this fact to 'convince' Frank's men that he is unarmed... he then shoots them down by using his pistol that he has concealed/hidden underneath his hat....In the same way that the Harmonica character usually just 'appears' into frame, from out of shot, it occurs to me that this is how the gun is also treated...
his gun is always there, waiting to be used, but is hidden from sight, thereby throwing any opponent off guard...
In the final duel, Harmonica has acquired a holster...in order to confront his brother's killer....
Why?
To me, this shows that Harmonica is making a non-verbal statement to Frank....he's saying: "He I am....no hidden gun....no advantage over you....just a clean, fair fight....which is more than you gave my brother...!!

Up until then in the film, many things have been 'hidden'...not only Harmonica's gun in the gunfights, but also his reason for pursuing Frank....the duel answers many questions.....

As Harmonica rides off at the end of the film, he turns to watch Cheyenne die....once again, the holster has disappeared....
much in the same way that we know the Harmonica character will 'disappear'.....riding into legend.....

Anyone else have any thoughts on this....
Adios for now....

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #1 : August 11, 2007, 04:55:09 AM »

O0

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #2 : August 11, 2007, 02:12:25 PM »

On the other hand, in his first meeting with Cheyenne, his gun was very well seen... and he didn't use it.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #3 : August 12, 2007, 02:04:57 AM »

This is a very nice symbol, as you writed it...  O0

When we see his gun, we are in safe.  ;)

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Bill Carson
Gunslinger

Where`s that damn fly...!?

« #4 : August 12, 2007, 01:43:08 PM »

Very interesting theory! O0

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #5 : August 12, 2007, 03:09:35 PM »

nice analysis.  O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines