Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:59:14 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The meaning of cinema?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3]
: The meaning of cinema?  ( 14094 )
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #30 : September 11, 2007, 01:14:17 PM »

Fair enough, and even then animated films have their own reality.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #31 : September 11, 2007, 01:22:25 PM »

Live action films are like  moving photographs, whereas animated films are more like moving paintings. 

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #32 : September 11, 2007, 01:29:16 PM »

Live action films are like  moving photographs, whereas animated films are more like moving paintings. 

Good!

I thought that cinema is a way to show someone's vision of life/dream/whatever, in the most complex way, image, sounds and even sense of time (movement or on the other hand no movement in time...) together. The same goes for theatre, but the difference between theatre and cinema is that in cinema the vision is shown always the same way like in a book (when you don't take in count different illustrations + with films some stupid cuts, as we all here know...), while in theatre it changes with the place where it's played and the people who play it... Plus, unlike theatre, it usually doesn't change that much depending on where in the theatre you are sitting. So cinema is a way to conserve that vision.

But it's just something I add to what was already said. :)

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #33 : September 13, 2007, 07:38:29 AM »

What is the meaning/purpose/goal of movies?

Entertainment is an important part but surely not everything.

Would I watch a movie that is not entertaining?  Definitely yes if I wanted information presented
to me in a way that only movies can communicate. Also some movies may evoke feelings such as
misery and sadness, feelings which may not be akin to entertainment.

Entertainment, Communication & Information.
Yeah, but you have to remember that what once belonged to the cinema now belongs to television and the Internet (and radio, but it has been there almost as long as movies). From the early days of cinema 'till the appearance of TV, there were news films at movie theaters played along side with features and shortfilms. When the TV came along, the movie bussines went into troubles that were somewhat solved with new inventions such as color and widescreen. But these inventions were used mainly for feature films, so the delivering of information was held out to TV. Around the same time, I think, documentaries started to separate apart off news films.

Of course there still are some documentaries shown in movie theaters, but most of them go directly to TV. Now, I'd like to divide documentaries into two camps: 1)those that are "old school", cinematic (despite the fact that most of them are only shown on TV) and their purpose is to give information and 2)those that are TV-kind, based on narration and interviews, and their purpose is to entertain.

Certainly there are some feature films (and some TV series) that give also information, such as biopics, historical adventures (Gangs of NYC is one of my favorite examples),  war films etc. But those (more) often (than documentaries) give you more or less biased view.

mal247

« #34 : September 13, 2007, 09:36:24 AM »

Yeah, but you have to remember that what once belonged to the cinema now belongs to television and the Internet ...

My definition of movies is possibly wider than yours - mine includes any commercially produced reasonably long film of moving pictures irrespective of where it is viewed.

The title of the thread is "The meaning of cinema" but the first question is "What is the meaning/purpose/goal of movies?", which is what I attempted to address.  Specifically I was thinking about Schindler's List which for me was a must see movie but I would not call it entertaining.

There are at least three groups of people associated with movies - the studio, the director and the audience. The goals will differ according to which group you belong to.

« : September 13, 2007, 09:48:40 AM shades »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #35 : September 13, 2007, 09:58:02 AM »

The title of the thread is "The meaning of cinema" but the first question is "What is the meaning/purpose/goal of movies?", which was what I attempted to address.  Specifically I was thinking about Schindler's List which for me was a must see movie but I would not call it entertaining.
It was not entertaining because it was a poor adaptation of the book. Spielberg fudged so many things that anyone wishing to seriously grapple with the subject (real events that happened to real people) had to be annoyed.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #36 : September 13, 2007, 10:33:25 AM »

1)My definition of movies is possibly wider than yours - mine includes any commercially produced reasonably long film of moving pictures irrespective of where it is viewed.

2) The title of the thread is "The meaning of cinema" but the first question is "What is the meaning/purpose/goal of movies?", which is what I attempted to address.  Specifically I was thinking about Schindler's List which for me was a must see movie but I would not call it entertaining.

3) There are at least three groups of people associated with movies - the studio, the director and the audience. The goals will differ according to which group you belong to.

1) My definition of movies (or cinema) includes feature films, shortfilms and documentaries that go under the first group of my definition. To some extend also TV series, but usually I mention if my views include them. I guess I have to include also all the "films" that fit into the definition above but that are produced directly to TV or the Internet.

2) Again, a problem with defining a word. I'd claim that experiencing uneasy emotions can be "entertaining" too. I don't go to a horror film to see blood (unlike some sick people) but get scared. And I like sad films too. I don't know what it tells about me, though (trust me, I've had scary and sad things in my life, so it can't be because of the lack of those). I like to be challenged. I like it if a movie is not easy. That's entertaining.

3) I understand what you're saying. But what I'm after with that question is some universal answer. I'm asking what is the meaning of cinema as art, as itself, if there is any. Maybe there isn't any. Maybe the question is pure BS ;D

Dave Jenkins, how would you answer your own question of what makes cinema unique? 

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #37 : September 14, 2007, 11:48:03 AM »

Film is so much more than entertainment, and if you think it's JUST for entertainment, than your sadly mistaken.  :)

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Mw/NNrules

« #38 : September 14, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »

Film is so much more than entertainment, and if you think it's JUST for entertainment, than your sadly mistaken.  :)
Fun movies are good, but more entertaining when they draw you in. That's why more serious films are often more highly regarded if you ask me.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #39 : September 14, 2007, 12:10:41 PM »

Entertainment is one of the many key elements of a good film.  Obviously, you're not going to like a film if you think it's boring.

However, cinema, to me, goes way beyond entertainment.  It is a unification of many things... entertainment, artistic expression, sometimes even philosophical themes.  How many times have you given a review (or heard someone else's review) of a movie where you (or they) said "It was entertaining, but..... (insert terrible direction, weak script, poor cinematography, bad acting... or one of the many things the movie Transformers had working against it)."  I'm sure we all have done this at one point.  An excellent film has to do more than ENTERTAIN it has to CAPTIVATE.

Mw/NNrules

« #40 : September 14, 2007, 12:50:06 PM »

Entertainment is one of the many key elements of a good film.  Obviously, you're not going to like a film if you think it's boring.

However, cinema, to me, goes way beyond entertainment.  It is a unification of many things... entertainment, artistic expression, sometimes even philosophical themes.  How many times have you given a review (or heard someone else's review) of a movie where you (or they) said "It was entertaining, but..... (insert terrible direction, weak script, poor cinematography, bad acting... or one of the many things the movie Transformers had working against it)."  I'm sure we all have done this at one point.  An excellent film has to do more than ENTERTAIN it has to CAPTIVATE.
I agree. I don't think I could of said it better myself.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #41 : September 14, 2007, 01:07:42 PM »

Great post Silenzio!

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #42 : September 14, 2007, 06:03:57 PM »

Dave Jenkins, how would you answer your own question of what makes cinema unique? 
I don't have an answer, but I do often think about what others have said, including the idea that cinema incorporates all the other arts. Drama, narrative, music, dance, painting, sculpture, photography and design can all be part of a film production. Keeping so many disparate elements balanced is a challenge, but when that challenge is successfully met the end result can provide audiences with an experience impossible to get any other way. This experience is probably more visceral than intellectual (words are necessary, and necessary in abundance, for intellectual experience), but it is no less intense for being so.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines