Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 29, 2021, 07:50:09 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  No Country for Old Men (2007)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
: No Country for Old Men (2007)  ( 85232 )
Eric
Gunslinger

« #75 : January 13, 2008, 11:28:57 PM »

Thanks Joe. I was a bit frustrated with this thread, because nobody seemed to want to talk about the movie.

No, it's not a western. It's not a neo-noir. It's not a horror movie. It exists somewhere in between. Can we get beyond the silly labels?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #76 : January 14, 2008, 04:21:32 AM »

Yea we got a bit off track, I think one of the problems here is that not many members have seen this yet, and I for one only saw it once which is not really enough, but it did get me to read the book. I would like to see it again though before I attempt to comment much more about it (especially after reading the novel).

2. ...The biggest lack of catharsis is the way that Chigurh doesn't die in the end. There's a moment, a brilliant moment, where the Coens let us think that he's been killed in the chance (like the coin flip) car accident, which almost gives us the release that by that moment we crave. Doesn't get his just desserts. Just walks off into the sunset, the way we expect our hero to do.

Actually, the book is even more ironic, the car in the book is driven by doped up kids who speed through the red light. So its almost like what goes around comes around illegal drugs almost kill Chigurh.  8)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #77 : January 22, 2008, 07:53:55 AM »

up for best picture oscar

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #78 : January 26, 2008, 12:36:30 AM »

DVD on March 11: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=66868

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Sonny
Bounty Killer

« #79 : January 29, 2008, 08:20:40 PM »

$29.99 !!! That DVD better have amazing special features (perhaps including an alternate ending??  ;))

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #80 : January 30, 2008, 04:57:40 PM »

$29.99 !!! That DVD better have amazing special features (perhaps including an alternate ending??  ;))

According to our friends at TheDigitalBits.com, the only extra material will be 3 making of documentaries (Working with the Coens: Reflections of Cast and Crew, The Making of No Country for Old Men, and Diary of a Country Sheriff). A Blu-ray release will also be available for $34.99 with identical features. Artwork is attached.-Taken from DVDActive

Sounds like the high price is probably from people downloading movies and reaping all the benefits. I know i got a $3 copy from some dude at my school  O0

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #81 : February 01, 2008, 12:28:30 PM »

Watched this last night. I will slightly expand on my comments in the Rate the Last Movie... thread.

I enjoyed it. But there were many problems with it. The plot wasn't very clear and it took me a long time to figure out what was going on and how Llewelyn and Anton were tied together. Also, Tommy Lee Jones. His character seems to be tacked on to the story. He flits in and out of the film at seemingly random intervals and then has a big speech about his life at the end. It's a glorified cameo really, and what's the point of the end if he doesn't factor into the story itself? I didn't mind the ending, I thought it was well-done actually, but why the sudden shift in focus to the Sheriff after he's played almost no part in the film?

On the plus side, Javier Bardem was an excellent villain. Tommy Lee and Josh Brolin were okay but neither truly impressed me. The action scenes and use of suspense were very well-done, and the cinematography was gorgeous. I also liked the lack of music, which along with the meticulous attention to deal, put me in mind of The Day of the Jackal. I fail to see any real connections, stylistically or otherwise, to Leone however.

So, 7/10. It's definitely the best of the three Best Picture nominees I've seen thus far.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

« #82 : February 01, 2008, 03:11:19 PM »

I fail to see any real connections, stylistically or otherwise, to Leone however.

personally, the scene where Moss is waiting in his motel room as you hear anton's foots steps just outside kind of reminded me of a similair scene in GBU where blondie's relaoding as Tuco and Freinds are just out side his hotel room.

but thats just me.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #83 : February 01, 2008, 03:17:17 PM »

personally, the scene where Moss is waiting in his motel room as you hear anton's foots steps just outside kind of reminded me of a similair scene in GBU where blondie's relaoding as Tuco and Freinds are just out side his hotel room.

but thats just me.

I can see a connection. Not sure if it was intentional or not though.

Sonny
Bounty Killer

« #84 : February 09, 2008, 12:18:55 PM »

According to our friends at TheDigitalBits.com, the only extra material will be 3 making of documentaries (Working with the Coens: Reflections of Cast and Crew, The Making of No Country for Old Men, and Diary of a Country Sheriff). A Blu-ray release will also be available for $34.99 with identical features. Artwork is attached.-Taken from DVDActive

Sounds like the high price is probably from people downloading movies and reaping all the benefits. I know i got a $3 copy from some dude at my school  O0

Those bastards! it's cos of them that our economy has inflated drastically, down with free art!!! on with slightly over priced but affordable merchandise!!

Sonny
Bounty Killer

« #85 : February 09, 2008, 12:34:51 PM »

I loved how this movie didn't have a soundtrack. I love how it bothered people because they "didn't know what to feel without the music", which goes to show many many things about their character and usefulness.  The film was like reading the book (i don't if mentioned this earlier?) I didn't find it particularly difficult to follow, it just had a different kind of pace, which can't even be described as slow, just very original.

I don't know why people consider this a western.  It's reminiscent of a western because of it's setting, because of the plot theme and because a couple of the men wear hats, but it's clearly a drama.  I'm sure the director liked westerns and so we see the little references that are likely to be intentional. But that still doesn't make it a western. As far as the "flaws" everyone complains about, like the imbd user comments "A hauntingly flawed unconventional masterpiece.." well it's a matter of style in my opinion.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #86 : February 09, 2008, 03:23:10 PM »

I loved how this movie didn't have a soundtrack. I love how it bothered people because they "didn't know what to feel without the music", which goes to show many many things about their character and usefulness.

Agreed. Come on, the movie didn't NEED a soundtrack!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #87 : February 09, 2008, 07:59:25 PM »

Where have these people been?  Bresson dispensed with soundtracks 50 years ago!

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #88 : February 26, 2008, 10:41:03 AM »

If this is the best (hollywood) movie of the year I'll have to wait for 2009 to get there again, unless I'll choose italian movies (which I will). This is a blatant remake of Charley Varrick.  And of course the Matthau-Siegel movie was better: Siegel no frills approach blended perfectly with Matthau Mitchum-like attitude. That was not enough, though, for today's fake movie production. A genre movie must be traded for something deep.  So  they upped the ante on the killer, making Bardem a kind of Patrick (is this the character who never dies?)-Terminator character, as credible as a George Bush speech. Add to this the (already noted here) Tommy Lee Jones philosophizing and really no use character (but of course you have to have this if you pretend you're not making an action movie but a movie and you have a bloated movie on the skeleton of a thriller (and the thriller parts are the best). I much prefer Cloverfield to this: there you have cheap thrills delivered which is the only reason you go to watch hollywood moviest. And Joe Don Baker should have earned an Oscar, if Bardem did.

Whalestoe

« #89 : February 26, 2008, 12:32:12 PM »

I much prefer Cloverfield to this

Are you serious?

: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines