Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:03:07 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Now I have to vent off some steam...
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Now I have to vent off some steam...  ( 2862 )
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« : September 20, 2007, 02:15:29 PM »

This post is probably gonna be all complaining and ranting so if you're not in the mood for that, just stop reading right here.

I spent the whole day surfing on the net and the last hours mostly on movie-themed sites. And during these last hours my anger towards the Finnish government and the overall cinema-politics in Finland has only increased. Ever since I started watching films as an artform and "something more" I've known that these things are not really OK here but today I've really realised how terribly bad the conditions of seeing classic and "art films" are. And I'm talking about seeing them in their real form, in theaters.

The Finnish Film Archive operates practically only in Helsinki. They show a decent amount of classic films but unfortunately I fucking don't live there, as don't most Finns anyway. FFA has a few side offices in other cities but I don't live in any city and the films presented in those cities are rather random. Now it would be nice to have a filmclub or something in a situation like this, wouldn't it? The only bad thing is that they all have pretty much died off. The nearest one to me evidently once had a website but nowadays all links to it are dead, so I assume it is not active. OK, well what fuck am gonna do now? Oh, now I got it! I could take the initiative and rent a film from our always so great FFA. Wonderful idea, why has nobody ever come up with this?!! Oh, lets see what it cost... Barely 1200 euros. Fuck you, FFA: )-= They have over eleventhousand(!) foreign classic films in their vaults but they have made a decision not to let filmclubs rent them.

Okay, there some possibilities to see classic films on film festivals. But do they arrange such events around here? Of fucking course not. I planned to attend one festival next summer but because I'll be probably heading to the States then, I won't have the money for that.

The situation is probably what it is because of the heads of the decition-making agencies. They gnag all the same: "of course nothing beats the theater experience, I'll give you that, BUT DVD IS THE SAME O0 blahblahblah" And fuck, it ain't! And it's not all about the fact that there are other people sharing the movie with you, but it's as much about the film itself. No motherfucking pixels can ever surpass the the atoms of real film. And now these idiots are saying "it makes no difference whether the image is projected from a DVD or from film if it just is a movietheater you're sitting in". To quote Penn&Teller: "Makes no difference", my ass. Bullshit! Just like nothing beats a real live concert, nothing beats real cinema experience. But CDs are a good way to enjoy the music while waiting for the next concert. And so are DVDs good way to watch films in the lack of better options. But saying that watching DVD on big screen is the same as watching the movie from film is as true as that listening to live-CD is the same as going on a gig.

The theater running business is pretty much run by one company, Finnkino, and they are all about making business (I can't blame them for that, it's business after all) so they practically show only the newest blockbusters. Only solution would be that the state supported small theaters so that they could run smaller films. But ain't fucking happening during my lifetime! The state support for the movie industry is laughable. I mean, the budgets for American indie films are bigger than Finland's support to the whole industry! I mean, the budget for the Finnish National Opera House (and I really do mean just the building) is bigger than Finland's support to the film industry. I mean, it's smaller than a fly's crap. Other Scandinavian countries are supporting their national film industries with double as much money as Finland. Every fucking director in the whole goddam country insists raising the support to that level (and now!) but does anyone listen? Nope. There are around 11-14 films produced in Finland every year but there are usually only one or two that stand the comparation to international films. Most of them are just 2/5 films.

The only positive thing lately has been one new "art channel" which is showing classic films on TV. It is only television but it's better than nothing.

Sadly I think this is not only Finnish phenomenon.

Sorry for ranting. :P I just feel like shooting some certain people.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : September 20, 2007, 08:57:54 PM »

Nice rant  O0, so you have satellite TV over there or not an option?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #2 : September 21, 2007, 05:16:38 AM »

Nice rant  O0, so you have satellite TV over there or not an option?
Not really an option right now, I'm affraid.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : September 21, 2007, 06:16:09 AM »

too bad, you could really get connected from the ass of the world to the rest of the universe.  O0

Not really an option right now, I'm affraid

Because its not available or because its too expensive...just curious?

« : September 21, 2007, 06:19:58 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #4 : September 21, 2007, 07:50:57 AM »

too bad, you could really get connected from the ass of the world to the rest of the universe.  O0

Because its not available or because its too expensive...just curious?
The latter. I don't live that deep in the ass, after all ;D

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines