Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2021, 10:59:43 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tuco's water gun
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Tuco's water gun  ( 3350 )
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« : February 21, 2008, 07:05:51 PM »

How can Tuco's gun fire at Mulloch if it had been submerged in the water?
I'm no firearm expert but wouldn't the gunpowder get wet and thus become useless?

You can argue he had the gun just above the water and below the bubbles but wouldn't it had been more convenient just to take the gun off?

Edit: Sorry for adding yet another thread title with the word "gun" to this section.

« : February 21, 2008, 07:06:56 PM The Firecracker »

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : February 21, 2008, 08:11:10 PM »

Well if its chambered with cartridges they could get wet and still fire. A bullet cartridge is sealed by the bullet seated in the brass rimfire cartridge the powder stays dry even if submerged. (which is what Tuco has) But I wouldn't recomend that, guns rust unless they are modern stainless steel guns, and don't believe Tuco submerged it which is the why of the bubbles.

Now if it was a cap & ball cylinder then you'd have more problems with moisture, the seal where the cap fits over the nipple which is the direct access to the black powder could be a problem. 

But ususally back then when you reloaded you'd pour the black powder into each cylinder bore then put a patch cloth over the bore hole, place a lead ball (or cylindrical bullet) over the patch cloth and then seat the ball into the cylinder bore. Then do the next, and the next untill all six are loaded.

Now you have a cylinder with six lead balls exposed in the bores. What they did next was seal the ends of the bores with melted wax making them water proof, it also served to prevent accidents by protecting the unfired cylinders from ignighting.

Now this is all well and good but if you are in a hurry say being attacked by Indians you'd probably take a chance and skip this step.  ;)  If however you are on a long cattle drive riding through thunderstorms and other kinds of weather sealing then off would be recomended.

Next step was to flip the cylinder over and push six percussion caps on each of six nipples. Then you should also drip sealing wax around each cap to seal them off also. Then you'd be ready to go.

« : February 22, 2008, 04:36:14 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Vin
Road Apple

« #2 : March 13, 2008, 05:26:02 PM »

I'm new here but I've been lurking about for the past few weeks. Been a loyal fan of Leone since first viewing his films when they first came out - including Colossus, God help me.
   Anyway, my observation on this topic is that Tuco didn't have a firearm after he cut loose from Sgt. Wallace. I imagine that he picked one up in his travels, but that doesn't explain Blondie's remark that every gun sings it's own song. If I missed this discussion on another thread I apologize for wasting your time, but I'd appreciate reading any comments.

We deal in lead, friend.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : March 13, 2008, 05:54:59 PM »

What  Blondie means is not "every gun has its own tune" but really "every  Gun (as in Gunfighter, Gunslinger, Gunman) has its own tune" tune as in cadence of shots, Tuco always fires the same cadence of shots, a series of shots then a pause then another shot 5:1 . Re-watch the film, we had more than one post about this a while back.

here's one check it out

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2334.0

« : March 13, 2008, 06:16:12 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Vin
Road Apple

« #4 : March 15, 2008, 07:11:55 AM »

Joe, you've cleared up something that was nagging in the back of my mind for many years.  Amazing. Thank you so much for your reply and referral. I knew I had missed some threads.

We deal in lead, friend.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #5 : March 15, 2008, 03:38:43 PM »

No problem part of the confusion is because when Eastwood dubbed the film instead of actually saying what he said when filming "Five to one makes it easy. That's a perfect number large one" he says the "every Gun has its own tune" line.

These films are always fascinating  O0

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines