Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2021, 11:09:11 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  To what extent has Morricone's music contributed to the success of this movie
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: To what extent has Morricone's music contributed to the success of this movie  ( 14957 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #15 : October 16, 2007, 11:30:31 AM »

Are we sure we all aren't just being snobbish here? >:D

We don't want your comments, you filthy communist.

:D :D :D

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #16 : October 16, 2007, 11:55:01 AM »

Are we sure we all aren't just being snobbish here? >:D

oh not at all! :)

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #17 : October 16, 2007, 11:56:14 AM »

;D

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #18 : October 16, 2007, 03:03:49 PM »

I will not stand for this defamation! I am (or last was according to certain members of this board) a Fascist! Get your story straight! :P

Saturday nights with Groggy
archangel
Gunslinger

« #19 : November 26, 2007, 01:04:19 AM »

hi,
in my humble little opinion:
accident or no, the main players, in front of, and behind the camera, in these SL SW's share a unique simbiotic relationship.
this only happens when chance is a player.
it was with these SW's.
the world is better for it.
enjoy.
DR9.

Sonny
Bounty Killer

« #20 : January 24, 2008, 04:48:20 PM »

I will not stand for this defamation! I am (or last was according to certain members of this board) a Fascist! Get your story straight! :P

wow, i've been away so long.

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
Clinton
Bandido

« #21 : January 25, 2008, 02:35:54 AM »

Well, Leone was a genius. And part of his genius was to know how to choose good collaborators, and how to obtain something great from each one.

Claudia Cardinale has never impressed me exept in OUATITW
CHarles Bronson can also be one of the worst actors ever, he is outstanding in OUATITW.
Clint Eastwood was never as well used than in Leone films.
Ennio Morricone made some terrible music sometimes (A Gringo Like Me, The Professional...) but he was always at the top with Leone (not only with Leone).
Mario Brega was not even an actor.
Vincenzoni HATES what he wrote for Leone (listen to him in the intervew on the MNIN dvd). Still, Leone got him to do that.

This is why i think Leone would have found another guy who could do a great job. DOn't forget that Eastwood and Van Cleef are not his first choices...
Of course, all of us know that the alliance Morricone/Leone is THE perfect team. So GBU wouldn't be as good as it is, but i'm sure it would still be a masterpiece.

Nicely stated. I fully agree, but I would accentuate Morricone's essential contribution even more. I don't think GBU would have been a masterpiece without Morricone. On the side, during the tributary film for Morricone at the Oscars 2007, I noticed the particularly strong audience reaction when the theme of the GBU was played.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #22 : February 13, 2008, 08:50:30 PM »

I think we need to look at AFOD, a highly underrated soundtrack that wasn't properly implemented into the film as seemlessly as the later five collaborations. To use a worn out cliche, it takes two to tango. The images propel the music and vice versa. While the film and its music are brilliant in their own right, it isn't fair to compare a piece of music (or soundtrack) to a film stripped of said music. The music will always win, because of what it is, music.

Noodles said it best (to paraphrase) with the "Leone gets the best out of his crew" comment. Sergio certainly would have demanded a lot from his hypothetical composer and if he wasn't satisfied he surely would have gone the Kubrick route and found music that complemented his film.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #23 : February 14, 2008, 02:43:15 AM »

On the side, during the tributary film for Morricone at the Oscars 2007, I noticed the particularly strong audience reaction when the theme of the GBU was played.

No wonder. I've always loved it most, too.
Now I need English translation of a very proper Czech saying perfectly fitting to this situation. Don't tell me you don't have such word... but I even cannot tell you what word! >:(

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #24 : February 14, 2008, 11:57:47 AM »

Noodles said it best (to paraphrase) with the "Leone gets the best out of his crew" comment.

Agree.  Look at Lee Van Cleef's acting performances, he was great in FDM and GBU, but substantially more wooden in his other roles.  Don't get me wrong - I thought Van Cleef was a great one - but Leone pulled out his best.  Maybe it was because Leone acted out the scenes for him, better than verbal direction???

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #25 : February 14, 2008, 11:47:00 PM »

I watched Kansas City Confidential the other day and was slightly disappointed with LVC's performance. With Bronson, it's even worse. "This is the same man who played Harmonica?"

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #26 : March 15, 2008, 02:35:42 PM »

The question of the thread is a simple one, when talking about the United States.

Clint is the only reason this is such a huge hit here. When the movie aires monthly on AMC, or elsewhere, it is advertised as an Eastwood film. When they  play it back to back the affair is referred to as "Eastwood Night".
Many people do know about Leone being the master behind this excellent movie but these folks are in the minority...

at least in the states.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #27 : March 16, 2008, 05:17:11 AM »

The question of the thread is a simple one, when talking about the United States.

Clint is the only reason this is such a huge hit here. When the movie aires monthly on AMC, or elsewhere, it is advertised as an Eastwood film. When they  play it back to back the affair is referred to as "Eastwood Night".
Many people do know about Leone being the master behind this excellent movie but these folks are in the minority...

at least in the states.
Basically, it's the same here. And I'd guess everywhere except maybe in Italy.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #28 : March 17, 2008, 06:53:42 AM »

I don't think so... I mean, not everywhere: not in France, for instance, where Leone is a well kown director. May be not among my generation, but still.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #29 : March 17, 2008, 07:53:47 AM »

I don't think so... I mean, not everywhere: not in France, for instance, where Leone is a well kown director. May be not among my generation, but still.
You're proving the point here. Not among our generation nor among most people because most people don't know any directors, except maybe Spielberg and Hitchcock and even those only by name. Leone is also very recognized director here, among...shall we say the "middle class movie buffs", those who can say that movies are their hobby but they don't have academical approach to it (they don't have to like an 8-hour Bulgarian silent movie just because it's a "classic"). You see the difference? ;)

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines