Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2021, 02:10:05 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  To what extent has Morricone's music contributed to the success of this movie
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: To what extent has Morricone's music contributed to the success of this movie  ( 15087 )
dreaddy
Road Apple

« : October 06, 2007, 09:27:26 PM »

Just wondering if this movie would have been as successful and popular as it is without Morricone's trademark music.

shades

« #1 : October 07, 2007, 03:20:09 AM »

Not only the music but also the catchy title have contributed to its success.

:)

Ramon
Gunslinger

What are we going to do with this one Frank?

« #2 : October 07, 2007, 04:47:11 AM »

When I first watched this movie in about 1976 when they showed it on TV it was on the basis of having heard the GBU music which had been in the charts years earlier. (Now I'm showing my age). At the time I didn't have a clue what the movie was about. I'm glad I watched it! 30 years later its still my favourite movie.

in these parts a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information.

Ramon

www.fistfuloflocations.com
www.youtube.com/profile?user=swlocations
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #3 : October 07, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »

Morricone and Clint are probably the two biggest reasons it was such a huge hit.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tuco the ugly

« #4 : October 07, 2007, 11:36:08 AM »

Morricone and Clint are probably the two biggest reasons it was such a huge hit.

Only at the time Groggy, only at the time. Clint could make the difference only at the time, an only in USA I fear.

The reason why it is still today, not only just a huge hit as you call it but an evergreen, is the fact that it is a great film in all segments, therefore a superb masterpiece. Then, now, in the future - always.

« : October 07, 2007, 11:38:11 AM Tuco the ugly »
Tuco the ugly

« #5 : October 07, 2007, 11:39:28 AM »

Just wondering if this movie would have been as successful and popular as it is without Morricone's trademark music.
I honestly don't think so. Most of the scenes wouldn't work without Morricone's music.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #6 : October 07, 2007, 12:39:45 PM »

Only at the time Groggy, only at the time. Clint could make the difference only at the time, an only in USA I fear.

The reason why it is still today, not only just a huge hit as you call it but an evergreen, is the fact that it is a great film in all segments, therefore a superb masterpiece. Then, now, in the future - always.

Oh I'm not arguing that point, but if it hadn't been successful in the first place it wouldn't be so well-known now. I mean OUATITW was a failure in the US (obviously it wasn't overseas) and it's only recently become well-known among the general public. Even now, most of its fans are film buffs, whihc most people aren't.

Mw/NNrules

« #7 : October 12, 2007, 04:38:08 PM »

I think that the movie still would've been cool w/o it, but perhaps a little less exciting. I can't imagine GBU w/o it, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be good.

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

« #8 : October 13, 2007, 08:35:12 PM »

It'd still be a good movie, but just not the same.  All the really great scenes that come to mind, the Carriage of Spirits, Ecstacy of Gold, and The Trio, among others, I have trouble imagining them without Morricone's music.  Even insert a different score from another composer, still hard. Imagine a more American sounding score, say from Jerry Goldsmith or Elmer Bernstein.

Ok, Bernstein doing the Dollars trilogy might be interesting.  ;D

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #9 : October 15, 2007, 09:23:05 AM »

Well, Leone was a genius. And part of his genius was to know how to choose good collaborators, and how to obtain something great from each one.

Claudia Cardinale has never impressed me exept in OUATITW
CHarles Bronson can also be one of the worst actors ever, he is outstanding in OUATITW.
Clint Eastwood was never as well used than in Leone films.
Ennio Morricone made some terrible music sometimes (A Gringo Like Me, The Professional...) but he was always at the top with Leone (not only with Leone).
Mario Brega was not even an actor.
Vincenzoni HATES what he wrote for Leone (listen to him in the intervew on the MNIN dvd). Still, Leone got him to do that.

This is why i think Leone would have found another guy who could do a great job. DOn't forget that Eastwood and Van Cleef are not his first choices...
Of course, all of us know that the alliance Morricone/Leone is THE perfect team. So GBU wouldn't be as good as it is, but i'm sure it would still be a masterpiece.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #10 : October 15, 2007, 09:53:42 AM »

Obviously Morricone's score is one of the main reason's to the success of this film. That being said, people still need to realize the brilliance of Leone's direction as well. I absolutely hate it when someone says that LEONE's films are only good because of the music. I guess they weren't paying attention while they watched the films.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #11 : October 15, 2007, 10:01:59 AM »

I absolutely hate it when someone says that LEONE's films are only good because of the music. I guess they weren't paying attention while they watched the films.

Don't forget that most people don't really care for movies. They don't think about it. Many people don't even know if they liked a movie or not. They just watched it. i'm not criticizing them, i don't really care when i see an athlete running, which doesn't mean that this is not interesting.

But most people care for music.

Sonny
Bounty Killer

« #12 : October 15, 2007, 05:00:35 PM »

Yes, popular media adopted Morricone's theme for GBU and that is why most people can recognize it. But don't ask them who Leone is cos they'll die of confusion...  :P

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #13 : October 16, 2007, 11:06:27 AM »

Yes, popular media adopted Morricone's theme for GBU and that is why most people can recognize it. But don't ask them who Leone is cos they'll die of confusion...  :P

Yeah, it's sad when your normal movie goer won't just sit down, be patient, and watch Sergio's Films.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #14 : October 16, 2007, 11:10:38 AM »

Yeah, it's sad when your normal movie goer won't just sit down, be patient, and watch Sergio's Films.

Are we sure we all aren't just being snobbish here? >:D

: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines