Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2022, 07:13:51 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Thoughts on Cheyenne
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Thoughts on Cheyenne  ( 4794 )
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« : July 20, 2004, 03:53:16 AM »

So I just rewatched this film, and one of the things I really noticed this time round was the character devlopment of Cheyenne, and how he is portrayed at different stages of the film.

When we first see him he's grubby, scruffy and bearded. It's like he's the stranger your mum told you never to accept sweets off. Seeing that scene for the first time you'd assume he was a villain - not just his appearance, but things like his intimidation of the waistcoated man who shoots his manacles off, his attempts to scare Harmonica, not to mention Morricone's haunting, dischordant banjo theme.

Then when we see his acrobatics and cunning when he fights the men on Mortimer's train, he is shown to be resourceful and almost heroic. We are certainly put on his side here.

And when he talks to Jill, we see a much more forlorn, emotional side to him. Beneath his callous exterior he just wants a bit of warmth and companionship in his life. I think although he doesn't really drive the plot along like Harmonica, Jill and Frank do, he's the only one we see so many different sides too, and that makes him the most interesting character in the movie.

It's class.
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« #1 : July 20, 2004, 03:11:37 PM »

don't get me started  >:(

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #2 : July 21, 2004, 12:35:44 AM »

It's true that Cheyenne is the most interesting character in that there are so many sides to him. However, I don't really see him developing over the course of the film. Our understanding of him deepens as more is revealed about him, but it is our understanding that changes, not Cheyenne.

BTW, one way that Cheyenne sometimes operates in the film is like a Chorus figure, commenting on the action and helping the audience with some of the plot points. I think this is somewhat unique in Leone, whose characters are usually much more taciturn.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #3 : July 21, 2004, 01:38:47 AM »

It's true that Cheyenne is the most interesting character in that there are so many sides to him. However, I don't really see him developing over the course of the film. Our understanding of him deepens as more is revealed about him, but it is our understanding that changes, not Cheyenne.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant - looking back "character development" was a bad choice of words.

It's class.
liipuhu
Road Apple

« #4 : July 21, 2004, 06:09:50 AM »

i know there´ll be a  mob waiting for me at the train station for this but cheyenne is kind of a sophisticated version of the comic sidekick. he lightens the mood in several occations during the movie. for example in the final duel between frank and harmonica. and he´s a definite link between jill and the others. and cheyenne is the one who, in a way,advices jill to go give water to the workers. there´s the transition from whore to mother that blueberry mentioned earlier. it may be just me but the fact that cheyennes mother was the whore with the biggest heart in the world (or how ever he put it) is a definite link to understanding the mind of cheyenne. and i agree with dave jenkins. the cheyenne we meet at the bar is a whole different cheyenne we know in the end. we just get to know him better.

Vinnie James
Road Apple

« #5 : July 22, 2004, 06:47:59 AM »

Good point. I hadn't stopp to think the multiple faces of Cheyenne.I especially like his first appearition, at the bar. You just think an entire gang is going to cross the door... and then appears Cheyenne, not reliying even in his own shadow. It's simply marvelous.

"Qué nos jugamos?"
"El pellejo."
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines