Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2022, 09:56:41 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  AFI's 10 Top 10
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4]
: AFI's 10 Top 10  ( 19463 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #45 : June 27, 2008, 06:13:34 PM »

No, it just means that your presuppositions conflict with mine and so no amount of argument can resolve the matter.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #46 : June 27, 2008, 06:46:06 PM »

After all, you would have to consider On the Waterfront a British film under that criteria.
Actually, there seems to be 2 different companies that used the name Horizon Pictures, one based in the US, one in the UK. On the Waterfront was produced by the US company. But you do raise a valid point, Groggy. Take a look at the list of films produced by Horizon Pictures [UK] at imdb (http://www.imdb.com/company/co0103190/ ); how can The African Queen be considered a British film? Or The Swimmer? Although I think titoli's method is essentially sound, it is clear that a slavish application of it produces terrible distortions. Other factors sometimes have to be considered. I'll go to my grave convinced that Kubrick's films are American.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #47 : June 27, 2008, 07:45:15 PM »

Although I think titoli's method is essentially sound, it is clear that a slavish application of it produces terrible distortions.

It is not "my" method, it is how film are catalogued and made to circulate around the world: and there is no doubt whatever that  Lawrence of Arabia has always had a british passport. What you call "slavish" should be termed "rigorous", it is by ABI's murky methods (assuming - which I don't - they are methods and not the fruit of compilers' sheer whims and\or incompetence. And anyway they don't specify what they are) that distortions are created. I also remind you that the nationality of a movie is not a question of minor relevance and solely from a historical-taxonomic pov, as in some countries there is (or at some time was) a limit both to the quantity of foreign movies allowed to be distributed in the theatres and tv's and the number of films subsidized by public funds (this is one of the reasons movies were made in coproductions in Europe). 
We are talking about people who didn't hesitate to create a newer and more specific category for "comedy" only to cut off from their lists people like Laurel & Hardy or the Marx Brothers and make room for insipid (but more recent) works like Moonstruck or When Harry Met Sally. They only aim at the commercial side of their business, whatever it is. This should be clear to all. But apparently it isn't.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #48 : June 27, 2008, 07:59:55 PM »

African Queen has a double nationality, if I have to believe IMDB: it was a coproduction. As to The Swimmer, it has US passport. 

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #49 : June 27, 2008, 08:15:22 PM »

About the problem of the two Horizon, I presume Spiegel might have kept the original one in USA (and produced with it The Swimmer, among others) while creating another omonimous company (but with the Ltd legenda) in Europe. I presume this can be easily ascertained by a visit to a well-furnished library.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #50 : June 28, 2008, 09:51:13 AM »

This looks like a very boring conversation.

: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines