Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 09:48:29 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 1402
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5068140 )
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #120 : February 22, 2007, 08:39:31 PM »

The Ballad of Cable Hogue 8 / 10 -- I really like this one, with Robards as that lovable little bandit Cable Hogue... "With an LE!" At first i didn't like the slow motion portions, then I realized that Peckinpah probably deliberately did this to contrast all of his other westerns with soooo much slow motion.

Ride The High Country 9 / 10 -- This one's brilliant because of all the little things, like the way the aging Randolph Scott says he needs to read the contract in private because he doesn't want anybody to know he needs reading glasses, and the way Randolph and Joel McCrea pick up their coffee cups off the table before the young bloke smashes down onto the table in the barfight, and the way, when the young fella picks a fight with Randolph, Joel takes his coat, steps aside out of the frame, Randolph lays the kid out in one punch, and Joel steps back into the frame and gives him his coat back; oh, man, it's a hoot. (how many commas were in that review... too many...) Anyways... I think i love this movie... a lot. A LOT.

Pat Garrett And Billy the Kid  7 / 10 -- Funny, i seem to remember liking it more. Maybe that's because I watched the Preview Cut last time and the 2005 cut this time to see which one I found more satisfying.  Maybe i'll watch the 88 Preview Cut in a couple weeks and leave a real review for this.

« : February 22, 2007, 08:53:24 PM Silenzio »
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #121 : February 23, 2007, 05:43:19 AM »

Now Voyager

The ultimate ugly duckling story with Bette Davis burying herself in an unidentifiable make-up in the begining playing a daughter smothered heavily by her matriachal mother. On the brink of a nervous breakdown she is brought to the clinic run by Claude Raines who helps her get back on her feet. She's put on a cruise ship and through a wonderfuly edited sequence we see her true beauty. On board she meets a desperatly unhappily married man Paul Henreid whose daughter is suffering a similar fate to Bette's. After a romp around a beautiful island they fall in love but are seperated as she leaves back for Boston. When she returns, everyone is shocked by her new appearance and demanor, most of all her mother...

I think it's the performances that carry this wonderful film along with Bette being more then briliant as usual and the ever likable Claude Raines in good support with Paul Henreid being  a good love interest for the main character. Max Steiner's score is incredible and will stay with you long after. Direction is strong with interesting use of camera angles, tracking shots and pans.

LA's Score 4 out of 5

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #122 : February 23, 2007, 11:06:59 AM »

Shakespeare in Love - Watched this for the second time in school, and I don't care what Dave Jenkins thinks - it's a good movie, with fine performances and a lot of clever dialogue.  With "Saving Private Ryan" and "Elizabeth" out there, it definitely wasn't Best Picture of 1998, but it's still pretty good. - 7/10

The Caine Mutiny - I read the play a few months back, though I still have to read the novel.  Very interesting storyline; other than the romance garbage with May Wynn, this is an excellent film.  Bogart is exceptional but Jose Ferrer comes very close to stealing the show in his thirty minutes onscreen as the defense attorney. - 8/10

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #123 : February 23, 2007, 04:47:31 PM »

The 400 Blows - 4/5
Amazing direction, a nice story, and a very good child performance from Jean-Pierre Léaud. The film is shy of a 5/5 score for two reasons. For one, there is a lack of emotional value that I like to have in films. Two, there was not exactly an ending, really. Still, it's a must-see and a must-purchase as well (a fairly cheap Criterion at $20). If you havn't seen it, get to it immediately.

No real ending is not a real flaw for this movie i think, since nowadays there has been around 3 sequels................... The character of antoien doinel was used by truffaut in (in french, sorry) l'amour en fuite, baisers volés and another one that i cannot remember...

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #124 : February 23, 2007, 05:52:48 PM »

I knew of these sequals, but I just don't care at all to watch them. It seems like a horrible idea to make a sequal out of such a movie, and I don't even want to know what the character does with the rest of his life. It would kind of ruin the point of the movie and the ending's freeze-frame of his confused face.

Shane - 4/5
This was a good reminder of how much I love westerns, as I havn't seen a good one in awile. The plot was great and interesting, and Shane is now one of my favorite movie characters - if not my favorite. I felt like I was a little kid again, amazed by Shane's skills and charm, just as Joey was. I also absolutely loved the ending showdown and Shane's departure. In fact, I'm willing to give this another viewing sometime soon. This is fairly close to being a 5/5, but I don't like to give out such a rating too easily.

Rrpower's Rating Scale

5 - A masterpiece, or close to it. Simply amazing.
4 - Very, very good - atleast one viewing is necessary.
3 - It's good, but passable.
2 - Don't waste your time on this - a bad movie.
1 - Avoid this at all costs necessary, even if it means suicide.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #125 : February 23, 2007, 08:48:50 PM »

The Pink Panther 5/5 with Peter Sellers, David Niven, Claudia Cardinale, Capuchin, and score by Henry Mancini what's not to like?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #126 : February 24, 2007, 02:56:53 AM »

Ah come on you gotta love Pixar/Disney films  O0

I'm afraid not. It's not the kind of films I like. I didn't like The Incredibles either. Too much of talking for me and not too much of sense in other things, I guess... I'm a bit allergic about scenes where someone says to someone else something along the lines of "You can do it." Though maybe I would have liked it more, if I was more familiar with superheroes. And if I had been watching it somewhere else than English lesson...
Howewer, my sister, who doesn't like this kind of films as well (she even didn't like Shrek too much, which really surprised me), liked Toy Story 2, so I guess I should give a chance to that one.

Maybe it's because I've grown up on Czech fairy-tales and cartoons, that are quite different. ;)

Oh well, I liked some of the traditional animation Disney films... as I said in "guilty secrets" thread, I liked Brother Bear...

Last films I saw. I don't feel like rating them on a scale, however...

Cock and Bull Story: Tristram Shandy
= one of the best films I saw recently (and that means especially that it delighted me). If you are familiar with Tristram Shandy book by Lawrence Sterne (and like it at least a bit), you shouldn't miss this one. It has that exact perfect amount of absurdity and chaos like the book has. It is about the way an unfilmable book is being filmed... and everybody thinks the book is about something different... Great and funny. With more levels in it. As father said "Nobody but the British could make such film." If you like Monty Pythons, try it, too. ;)

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Go to the thread about it, I'll hopefully write something there...
http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=4431.0

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

« #127 : February 24, 2007, 08:38:10 AM »

Now Voyager

I think it's the performances that carry this wonderful film along with Bette being more then briliant as usual and the ever likable Claude Raines in good support with Paul Henreid being  a good love interest for the main character. Max Steiner's score is incredible and will stay with you long after. Direction is strong with interesting use of camera angles, tracking shots and pans.

LA's Score 4 out of 5
Totally agree LA.  If you remember, during the theatre scene in Summer of '42, this movie was playing
on the screen. A true classic and great music too.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #128 : February 24, 2007, 09:34:06 AM »

The Caine Mutiny - I read the play a few months back, though I still have to read the novel.  Very interesting storyline; other than the romance garbage with May Wynn, this is an excellent film.  Bogart is exceptional but Jose Ferrer comes very close to stealing the show in his thirty minutes onscreen as the defense attorney. - 8/10
This was on  TV yesterday and I caught the second half. I agree about Jose Ferrer: an amazing performance, and it's all in the guy's voice.

However, Shakespeare in Love really sucks, especially if you venerate the Bard as I do.

So Groggy's reviews get a 5/10. >:D

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #129 : February 24, 2007, 10:26:28 AM »

Ride The High Country 9 / 10 -- This one's brilliant because of all the little things, like the way the aging Randolph Scott says he needs to read the contract in private because he doesn't want anybody to know he needs reading glasses, and the way Randolph and Joel McCrea pick up their coffee cups off the table before the young bloke smashes down onto the table in the barfight, and the way, when the young fella picks a fight with Randolph, Joel takes his coat, steps aside out of the frame, Randolph lays the kid out in one punch, and Joel steps back into the frame and gives him his coat back; oh, man, it's a hoot. (how many commas were in that review... too many...) Anyways... I think i love this movie... a lot. A LOT.

Pat Garrett And Billy the Kid  7 / 10 -- Funny, i seem to remember liking it more. Maybe that's because I watched the Preview Cut last time and the 2005 cut this time to see which one I found more satisfying.  Maybe i'll watch the 88 Preview Cut in a couple weeks and leave a real review for this.

I'm glad to see you gave Ride the High Country such a high rating. One of the greatest westerns IMO.

As for Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, the 1988 version is much better. Believe me.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« #130 : February 24, 2007, 10:32:50 AM »

Cock and Bull Story: Tristram Shandy
= one of the best films I saw recently
Fabulous little film that deserves to be better known. Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon's final "dual of the Pacinos" was hilarious stuff. I've only been lucky enough to work on one feature film so far (as boom op and sound assistant), and A COCK AND BULL STORY is the most accurate portrayal of what it's like to work on a movie that I've ever seen, with the chaos, love affairs, exhaustion, compromise and good old British humour to keep the darn thing going.

With a name like "Winterbottom" I guess you have to develop a good sense of humour, but his best film to date was his 2002 production, IN THIS WORLD, an utterly intense study of economic migrants travelling from Pakistan to the UK, via people smugglers. Grim stuff.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #131 : February 24, 2007, 11:22:15 AM »

Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon's final "dual of the Pacinos" was hilarious stuff.

Yeah, their conversations were perfect.

Or the old battle scene. ;)

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #132 : February 24, 2007, 11:29:10 AM »

Fabulous little film that deserves to be better known. Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon's final "dual of the Pacinos" was hilarious stuff. I've only been lucky enough to work on one feature film so far (as boom op and sound assistant), and A COCK AND BULL STORY is the most accurate portrayal of what it's like to work on a movie that I've ever seen, with the chaos, love affairs, exhaustion, compromise and good old British humour to keep the darn thing going.

With a name like "Winterbottom" I guess you have to develop a good sense of humour, but his best film to date was his 2002 production, IN THIS WORLD, an utterly intense study of economic migrants travelling from Pakistan to the UK, via people smugglers. Grim stuff.

It's the one film I sorely missed out on seeing at the LFF back on 2005.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #133 : February 25, 2007, 03:43:01 PM »

Memento-5 out of 5

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #134 : February 25, 2007, 03:57:52 PM »

Snakes on a Plane - 1/10.  I don't really have much to say, except if MST3K were brought back, this would be the first movie they would do.  :P

Saturday nights with Groggy
: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 1402  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines