Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 05:07:37 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 1402
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5105888 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #12345 : August 04, 2013, 03:06:53 PM »

Le Trou (1960) 10/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #12346 : August 05, 2013, 05:14:45 AM »

The Naked Street (1955) a re watch, good film, starts off strong with a couple of goons setting fire to a body under the Brooklyn Bridge then switches gears to Noir Lite. Anthony Quinn, Farley Granger, Anne Bancroft, Peter Graves, and a small walk on by Lee Van Cleef. It's got a bit of a Scarface vibe. Streaming on Netflix 7/10

Lee Van Cleef in this, compared to his Westerns, plays the closest I've seen to Col. Mortimer in FAFDM.

« : August 05, 2013, 05:15:59 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #12347 : August 05, 2013, 02:23:18 PM »

Watched most of Ken Burns' Prohibition today. Liked it better than The Civil War.

blah blah blah. What about his BASEBALL?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #12348 : August 05, 2013, 02:36:20 PM »

Raging Bull great film, a tad too long upon third or fourth viewing in light of earlier boxing films 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #12349 : August 05, 2013, 03:24:35 PM »

One problem I have with the film is how frequently, we hear an interviewee talking for a few minutes before his name and identity flashes on the screen. Now, I knew that the interviews consisted of survivors (the good guys) the Nazis (the evil guys) and local Poles (who for the most part were pretty bad), but you sometimes don't know who is who for a few minutes, so while you are watching someone talk, you don't know "do I hate him or do I pity him?" until his name flashes on the screen after a few minutes. I wish they put the name/identity of each interviewee up there right away. Also, the poster, which has this decrepit old man next to a sign that says "Treblinka," is really misleading; when you first see that poster, you pity the guy, figuring he must have been a survivor of Treblinka, till you watch the movie, and see that that is a fucking bastard who actually drove the trainloads of Jews to their death (and poor, poor him, he had to drink vodka to get through the day's "work," the piece of shit) and then you feel stupid for actually having pitied him when you saw the poster before you saw the movie.
Could be part of the filmmaker's strategy, nicht wahr? Obviously, Lanzmann wants people to respond deeply to the material, and one way to educe that is to temporarily withhold info. When he is tardy contextualizing the comments, Lanzmann can produce the kind of response you've just described above, which seems more interesting than just having audience members respond to labels. Any idiot can respond to labels.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #12350 : August 05, 2013, 03:41:04 PM »

Could be part of the filmmaker's strategy, nicht wahr? Obviously, Lanzmann wants people to respond deeply to the material, and one way to educe that is to temporarily withhold info. When he is tardy contextualizing the comments, Lanzmann can produce the kind of response you've just described above, which seems more interesting than just having audience members respond to labels. Any idiot can respond to labels.

it's not about responding to "labels."

When you hear someone talking about the cattle-car train to a death camp, if he is a survivor then you pity him; if he is the engineer on the train, or some local fucking Pollak who is laughing as he tells how used to make a throat-slitting motion, then you despise him. I'm not looking for what you call an "interesting" response, as I try to guess the identity of a particular speaker. It's feels really weird when you try to guess and then guess wrong. And yes, the identity of the speaker makes a big difference - because almost every one of the speakers tries to have you pity them. Even the fucking engineer who drove the train the Treblinka tries to have you pity him  – poor me, I had to drink vodka just to get through my workday driving cattle cars of people to the gas chambers. Yes, part of watching Shoah is the reaction to the specific speaker, rather than merely taking the words objectively as historical information. There's no way you can feel the same when eg. hearing a camp survivor describe the gas chambers, as when eg. hearing that fucking Nazi describe the gas chambers.
So yes, if Lanzmann is intentionally trying to keep us in suspense about the speakers, I disagree with him very much on that. And I definitely disagree with putting that engineer on the poster of the movie. That's not to say Lanzmann didn't do a great job with the movie.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #12351 : August 05, 2013, 03:47:39 PM »

Watched most of Ken Burns' Prohibition today. Liked it better than The Civil War.

speaking of the Civil War http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-jeopardy---host-alex-trebek-faces-backlash-for-humiliating-kid-contestant-on-tv-185738286.html

Nevermind the stuff about it being a 12-year-old kid: I thought Jeopordy's gives credit even for a misspelled word - is that extra "t" that bad that it's too badly misspelled to give credit? Sounds dumb to me. And as for all the people whining about Trebek being a "snob," I really didn't think so. Trebek just told the kid that because he misspelled the word badly, the judges ruled that he doesn't get credit for the answer. I don't think there was anything nasty on Trebek's part.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #12352 : August 05, 2013, 10:35:34 PM »

it's not about responding to "labels."

When you hear someone talking about the cattle-car train to a death camp, if he is a survivor then you pity him; if he is the engineer on the train, or some local fucking Pollak who is laughing as he tells how used to make a throat-slitting motion, then you despise him. I'm not looking for what you call an "interesting" response, as I try to guess the identity of a particular speaker. It's feels really weird when you try to guess and then guess wrong. And yes, the identity of the speaker makes a big difference - because almost every one of the speakers tries to have you pity them. Even the fucking engineer who drove the train the Treblinka tries to have you pity him  – poor me, I had to drink vodka just to get through my workday driving cattle cars of people to the gas chambers. Yes, part of watching Shoah is the reaction to the specific speaker, rather than merely taking the words objectively as historical information. There's no way you can feel the same when eg. hearing a camp survivor describe the gas chambers, as when eg. hearing that fucking Nazi describe the gas chambers.
So yes, if Lanzmann is intentionally trying to keep us in suspense about the speakers, I disagree with him very much on that. And I definitely disagree with putting that engineer on the poster of the movie. That's not to say Lanzmann didn't do a great job with the movie.
I haven't seen the film (this discussion has made me interested, though) but I can't but be constantly surprised at how black and white you see the world.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #12353 : August 06, 2013, 06:25:09 AM »

blah blah blah. What about his BASEBALL?

Still haven't seen it.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #12354 : August 06, 2013, 08:49:07 AM »

The Wire: Season 3 - 8/10
Best season I've watched so far. A big step up from the first two seasons, where most of the show's flaws are cleared up. I'm starting to understand the shows praise better. A huge upgrade in characterization, theme, pace, and scope. Excited for Season 4 which seems to generally be hailed as far and away the greatest season.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #12355 : August 06, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »

Is it watchabloe from season 3? I have seen the first 5 or 6 episodes of season 1 a couple years ago.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #12356 : August 06, 2013, 09:42:42 AM »

Is it watchabloe from season 3? I have seen the first 5 or 6 episodes of season 1 a couple years ago.
You might be able to get away with skipping Season 2 (at least read the Wikipedia plot). The first 5 or 6 episodes of Season 1 are definitely slow though - it's right after that where it gets more interesting. I'd recommend watching it if you want to do try S3. 1 and 3 are connected to each other, while 2 is more distant with a few important details here and there. I don't know if S2 events will come more significant in S4 and S5 though.

EDIT: Don't try and compare it to something like Breaking Bad though. BB is not only different but still far better in literally every way (other than realism, which it obviously isn't shooting for). It's tough for me not to try and compare the two, considering (a) I just watched through all of BB and (b) they're both often hailed as 'the two greatest shows' ever. BB's greatness may have spoiled the rest of TV for me. I enjoyed every season of BB even far more than Season 3 of The Wire.

« : August 06, 2013, 09:46:25 AM PowerRR »
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #12357 : August 06, 2013, 10:24:33 AM »

(other than realism, which it obviously isn't shooting for)
That was kind of my problem with the show. It started out like a realistic show, so when it got rather unbelievable by the third or fourth episode I lost my interest. Maybe I could give it another shot now when I know better what to expect.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #12358 : August 06, 2013, 02:51:12 PM »

I haven't seen the film (this discussion has made me interested, though) but I can't but be constantly surprised at how black and white you see the world.

The Holocaust, yes: as black-and-white an event as has ever been in human history. No moral relativism.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #12359 : August 06, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »

Unless you're David Irving or Pat Buchanan, of course.

Saturday nights with Groggy
: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 1402  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines