Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 14, 2024, 01:58:20 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 869 870 [871] 872 873 ... 1401
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5042155 )
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« #13050 : January 25, 2014, 06:06:15 AM »

The Boys From Brazil - 7/10 - A really dumb plot that makes little sense, with lots of cheesiness and eyeroll-inducing scenes, but still manages to be an entertaining and well-crafted film, if not in the same league as Marathon Man in the "Escaped Nazi War Criminals" thriller subgenre. Laurence Olivier is pretty good despite a dodgy Jewish accent, although James Mason is given a useless role as an ODESSA officer. Lots of great character actors (Groggy favorite Walter Gotell, Denholm Elliot, Michael Gough, Wolf Kahler, Wolfgang Priess, and Steve Guttenberg before his 15 seconds of fame) in roles of neglible import. And attentive viewers will note one Bruno Ganz far down the cast list (I believe he's the scientist who explains the cloning process to Olivier). This movie further proves the Guns of Navarone maxim that Gregory Peck is not a badass, and he shouldn't even try - listening him snarl "Shut up, you ugly BITCH!" in a hideous pseudo-German accent is Mr. Freeze-worthy. Certainly it was fun seeing him get torn to shreds by Dobermanns - I can't think of another film where that happens. Nice Jerry Goldsmith score, and however silly the plot is, those kids are damned creepy. It was also cool to see lots of Lancaster County scenery, having spent a lot of time in that vicinity.

I completely agree with Groggy on this. - 7/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #13051 : January 25, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »

Himatsuri / Fire Festival (1985) - 5/10. In 1986 I saw this film on its initial US art house run. I remember leaving the cinema afterwards thinking, "Huuuuuhhhhh?" Well, when I saw the listing for it on The Japan Society's events calendar this month, I figured I'd give it another try. I went down (the Society is on E 47th, across from the UN) and there was quite a good turnout. Ian Buruma was on hand to introduce the film and tell us what a rare treat we were in for. When we got to the last reel the film was upside down and had to be respooled, causing an unplanned intermission. That final reel is essential for understanding the film as a whole. I left the cinema afterwards thinking, "Huuuuuuhhhh?" The film's director, Mitsuo Yanagimachi, is most famous for giving the world the title "God Speed You! Black Emperor."

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13052 : January 25, 2014, 05:29:15 PM »

L'├ęternel retour / Eternal Return (1943) - 7/10. Tristan and Isolde transferred to 20th Century France. It doesn't quite work--Commoners acting like royals? Love potions in 1943?--but it remains interesting. Well, it helps to have Jean Marais, the handsomest man who ever lived. http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi3664029465/?ref_=tt_wb_hulu

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #13053 : January 25, 2014, 06:11:56 PM »

American Hustle - 6/10 - Disappointing. I'd more or less second Jenkins' comments: an exercise in Scorsese imitation without the real thing's flare or discipline. The period detail, soundtrack and intricate plotting are more artificial than immersive - perhaps intentional given the blather about appearances and role playing, but I'm not buying. It's a pity since Russell has his own inimitable style as a director, and a Silver Linings-style crime movie could have been scream. The cast is uniformly great, with Jeremy Renner and Amy Adams standing out, so it's not a total loss.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13054 : January 25, 2014, 07:17:39 PM »

Le Main du Diable (1943) - 9/10. Faust meets La Ronde. With the great Pierre Fresnay as the man in debt to the Fiend. Now streaming for free (for the next week): http://www.hulu.com/watch/348216?playlist_id=2198&asset_scope=movies

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #13055 : January 26, 2014, 06:16:23 AM »

STRANGE CARGO 6/10... Once upon a time, Joan Crawford was not ugly... This is a very different kind of performance by her. It's a little strange to see her especially in the beginning as the tough talking babe (sorta like the girl in DETOUR), and not sure how convinced I was in those parts (maybe just cuz I know it's Joan Crawford!) but overall, as the movie went along, there was much more to her character than that, and it was interesting to see her in a type of performance I've never seen from her.... But it's not a very good movie

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #13056 : January 26, 2014, 06:19:49 AM »

NOBODY LIVES FOREVER 6/10... John Garfield is an ex-crook returning from the war, who decides to go back to his conning ways when he learns there is a rich widow ripe for the taking. But of course, when it turns out she is the lovely Geraldine Fitzgerald, things don't go as planned... Walter Brennan has a supporting role here; DJ's boyfriend Richard Erdman has a few brief scenes in a small role

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13057 : January 26, 2014, 08:15:42 AM »

NOBODY LIVES FOREVER 6/10... John Garfield is an ex-crook returning from the war, who decides to go back to his conning ways when he learns there is a rich widow ripe for the taking. But of course, when it turns out she is the lovely Geraldine Fitzgerald, things don't go as planned... Walter Brennan has a supporting role here; DJ's boyfriend Richard Erdman has a few brief scenes in a small role
I liked this until the damsel-in-distress ending. I was hoping for something more cerebral. Garfield is a con man, right? He starts off trying to con Fitzgerald, then changes his mind. The next move should have been to con his erstwhile partners. It would have been great to see them leaving town with an empty suitcase (or something). A real missed opportunity.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #13058 : January 26, 2014, 08:38:05 AM »

Yeah but you know that there's no way Garfield could have committed the crime and gotten away with it, under the Production Code. The only way they could live happily ever after was for him to actually fall in love AND go straight... I didn't enjoy the movie all that much all along anyway

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #13059 : January 26, 2014, 04:02:18 PM »

I didn't like this one that much either.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #13060 : January 26, 2014, 08:24:15 PM »

Inadmissible Evidence - 4/10 - John Osborne's surreal character study becomes a dull, lifeless film. Osborne and director Anthony Page "open up" the play in the most perfunctory fashion; Bill Maitland watching a stripper and snoozing through a dinner party doesn't do the play's Strindberg-inflected insanity any kind of justice. Nicol Williamson's the only reason to watch, preserving his most famous role for posterity.

Luther (1973) - 8/10 - One of the best American Film Theater productions. Osborne's take on the Reformation is less "man of conscience" play than agonized psychodrama, showing Luther as deeply tormented, stirringly idealistic and very human. Much more conventional than Evidence, which allows Guy Green to get away with his minimalist staging. Stacy Keach makes a smart, charismatic Luther, and he's helped by a rich supporting cast: Leonard Rossiter, Patrick Magee, Alan Bladel, Hugh Griffith, Robert Stephens, even a young Judi Dench.

« : January 26, 2014, 09:00:48 PM Groggy »

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #13061 : January 26, 2014, 10:30:09 PM »

Did you know Ozzy Osbourne's real name is John Osbourne? (John Michael Osbourne, to be precise.) Somehow, that just doesn't sound the same as OZZY

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #13062 : January 26, 2014, 11:19:46 PM »

DJ, I just started watching THE HEIRESS (18 minutes ago, to be precise). I hope you didn't set me up for another one of those high-society late 1800's drama about the girl from the rich family who just couldn't be lady enough and turn her nose up at the lower classes enough for her snotty elders with British accents....... God, that's why I hate those high-society stories; not cuz I am some sort of populist, but cuz the movies about the elitists are always about the same shit ;-)

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #13063 : January 27, 2014, 02:21:52 AM »

THE HEIRESS (1949) 8.5/10 ;-).... Personally, I still like watching Fontaine more than de Havilland, but no doubt this was a mind-blowing performance by de Havilland. Miriam Hopkins was terrific, as was Ralph Richardson. I didn't find Montgomery Clit very believable with that 1850's dialogue, but maybe it's just cuz he was the only one who didn't use some sort of English accent...... Anyway, good times. Thanks to DJ for the recommendation ;-)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13064 : January 27, 2014, 01:10:25 PM »

THE HEIRESS (1949) 8.5/10 ;-).... Personally, I still like watching Fontaine more than de Havilland, but no doubt this was a mind-blowing performance by de Havilland. Miriam Hopkins was terrific, as was Ralph Richardson. I didn't find Montgomery Clit very believable with that 1850's dialogue, but maybe it's just cuz he was the only one who didn't use some sort of English accent...... Anyway, good times. Thanks to DJ for the recommendation ;-)
One of my faves. I think Richardson is amazing. I've never worried about Clift's performance, probably because he's playing a phony anyway.

Of course, the central performance by Ms. de Havilland is very good (as it has to be). Note, Drink, that the character goes through a transformation, requiring de Havilland to actually change her performance as she goes along (Such a feat was never required of her sister). Recently I saw Jessica Chastain assay the role on Broadway and she wasn't quite up to the mark. Not terrible, mind, just not up to the standard set by this film.

Drink, now on to some of de Havilland's other triumphs: My Cousin Rachel and Not As a Stranger.

: 1 ... 869 870 [871] 872 873 ... 1401  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines