Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 05:05:14 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 11 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 872 873 [874] 875 876 ... 1402
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5105882 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #13095 : February 02, 2014, 11:58:01 AM »

I've seen it twice in IMAX. The second time was a less powerful experience: the scenario is so simple (some say simplistic) that I knew by heart what was going to happen, step by step. It makes the thing less immersive. The BD will be out in less than a month. I wonder how the movie will stand a 2D experience on a regular screen.

Anyway, I'm in love with that movie.
It would make a good theme park ride.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #13096 : February 02, 2014, 12:30:14 PM »

so DJ, did you see InvestigationOASAS? waddaya think of it?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #13097 : February 02, 2014, 12:32:35 PM »

Saw in the Barnes and Noble yesterday, but $40 for a Blu Ray is a lot right now. I'm hoping Hulu puts it on their streaming service soon.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13098 : February 02, 2014, 12:49:54 PM »

so DJ, did you see InvestigationOASAS? waddaya think of it?
I've seen it several times. I like the way it starts out, but by the end it gets too abstract. The premise--a Homicide detective commits a murder for the sake of it, then leaves clues for his investigating staff, either because he wants to get caught or he's playing the ultimate game of brinksmanship--is a great one. But as we stray further away from that, to the point where the film becomes just an exercise for making political statements, it becomes tiresome. The interrogation of the student is where the film starts to go wrong. But Volonte is great (as always) and the Morricone score is certainly memorable.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #13099 : February 02, 2014, 12:50:58 PM »

Thanks DJ. Have you ever seen We Still Kill the Old Way by the same director? Any thoughts?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13100 : February 02, 2014, 01:01:06 PM »

Thanks DJ. Have you ever seen We Still Kill the Old Way by the same director? Any thoughts?
Haven't seen that one, but I'd like to.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #13101 : February 02, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »

I did not like the score for Investigation

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13102 : February 02, 2014, 01:18:22 PM »

I did not like the score for Investigation
Shall we ask the Maestro not to play it when he comes to town?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #13103 : February 02, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »

Btw, the bonus features have an interview with a female film critic or historian or whatever, I believe she is Italian, and pronounces his last name as VAH-LAHN-TEH  (not VO-LON-TAY)

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #13104 : February 02, 2014, 06:21:53 PM »

The Man in the Glass Booth - Maximilian Schell (RIP) plays a Holocaust survivor arrested by the Mossad and tried as an SS officer. But Schell emphatically plays the part in court, leading his prosecutors (and the audience) to doubt his true identity. Still digesting this one: the premise stretches credulity to the breaking point, often seeming like a joke carried too far. Schell is brilliant though; his character borders on a dual role yet Schell makes him convincing as parts of a whole. Is this survivor's guilt, insanity, or the most grotesque joke known to man? Either way it's compelling. Thanks to Jinkies for the recommendation.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13105 : February 02, 2014, 07:40:04 PM »

The Man in the Glass Booth - Maximilian Schell (RIP) plays a Holocaust survivor arrested by the Mossad and tried as an SS officer. But Schell emphatically plays the part in court, leading his prosecutors (and the audience) to doubt his true identity. Still digesting this one: the premise stretches credulity to the breaking point, often seeming like a joke carried too far. Schell is brilliant though; his character borders on a dual role yet Schell makes him convincing as parts of a whole. Is this survivor's guilt, insanity, or the most grotesque joke known to man? Either way it's compelling. Thanks to Jinkies for the recommendation.
I read it as an elaborate working out of survivors guilt. Of course, something like this couldn't really happen. And this is essentially a filmed stage play, so the focus is on the dramaturgy rather than any kind of film realism. The twists are kind of fun. Anyway, glad you liked it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #13106 : February 02, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »

And this is essentially a filmed stage play, so the focus is on the dramaturgy rather than any kind of film realism

More to the point, it's an American Theater Company production. Being cinematic was a secondary concern anyway.

« : February 02, 2014, 08:17:14 PM Groggy »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13107 : February 02, 2014, 08:04:27 PM »

Well, that's what I meant.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13108 : February 05, 2014, 07:28:11 AM »

The End of the Game / Der Richter und sein Henker (1975) 8/10. This film's got it all: Martin Ritt, John Voight, Robert Shaw, Jackie Bisset, Gabriele Ferzetti (sans rug), beautiful Berne, Switzerland, a solid plot from Friedrich Durrenmatt, a score by Morricone. Donald Sutherland has a non-speaking part as a corpse. Durrenmatt has a showy cameo (as the writer "Friedrich"), but this time through I noticed that the director also puts in an appearance. During a party at the palatial home of the sinister Gastmann (Robert Shaw), where a murder investigation has brought Police Commissioner Martin Ritt and his assistant John Voight, a pianist and a violinist are shown performing a Mozart duet. The guy on the keyboards is the late Maximillian Schell, who, I understand, could really play (a truly talented chap). If that were not enough, the man he is accompanying is Pinchas Zukerman! Schell inserted himself into his picture in another way. According to IMDb, he provided the taped voice of the dead Donald Sutherland character (this must be on the German dub--on the English dub the voice is clearly Sutherland's own).

The German Blu-ray of this title looks good. Apparently some kind of restoration was involved (there's a German-language-only extra that explains what was involved). Colors are very good, flesh tones are natural. The image is a little soft, but that may be due to limitations in the source used for the transfer. The disc features both the German and English dubs, but no subtitles. It is region-free.

I want to thank Mike Siegel for reminding me this film existed and thus inspiring me to track down this disc. It's doubtful we'll ever see a Blu-ray of this in Region A. It's a shame--this film is enjoyable, a testament to the directorial abilities of the multi-talented Maximillian Schell. May he long be remembered.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #13109 : February 05, 2014, 09:28:34 AM »

The Human Stain - 5.5/10
Pretty dull.

: 1 ... 872 873 [874] 875 876 ... 1402  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines