Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2021, 04:22:23 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 1336
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4160632 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #14340 : November 24, 2014, 06:32:45 PM »

Altman (2014) - 6.5/10
Pretty dull documentary, it's essentially a bunch of YouTube clips spliced together with long scenes of Altman's movies... everything from his early TV work to A Prairie Home Companion. Every now and then there's someone who has worked with Altman featured in a 5 second clip with their definition of "Altmanesque" (Robin Williams, Lily Tomlin, PT Anderson, Philip Baker Hall). It's basically a movie about how great Altman is. It's saved because almost the entire narrative is clips of Altman interviews, not others endlessly praising him. Worth a viewing just for Altman's greatness (one of the few directors I like more than Leone), but for more in depth information  on the director ...just read a book.

It's 95 minutes, and about 5 minutes are dedicated to just showing a sped-up version of The Player's opening shot, yet barely any mention of 3 Women (probably his best film). So yeah, lots of useless filler.

« : November 24, 2014, 06:33:57 PM PowerRR »
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #14341 : November 25, 2014, 12:02:50 AM »

Out of Sight (1998)

5 out of 5 for me.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #14342 : November 25, 2014, 05:44:19 AM »

The Offence (1972) - 7.5/10

Surprising find, as I didn't know about this movie until recently... Sean Connery could act. I never thought I'd say/write that in my lifetime, although I had my suspicions. He's not a great actor but has a spectrum of roles he can/did cover very well. Here the movie flows pretty slow until the reveal-it-all end, one can easily get lost in all the innuendos being tossed around, that and other dialogues/monologues which often aren't very self-explanatory. The ending however, makes it well worth if you ask me, plus Connery and Bannen have a great chemistry together. Actually, Bannen's even better than Connery, and the fact that in the end they don't reveal whether he did it or not works wonderfully for him. Dark movie.

« : November 25, 2014, 05:45:23 AM Dust Devil »

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #14343 : November 25, 2014, 05:58:14 AM »

The Offence (1972) - 7.5/10

Surprising find, as I didn't know about this movie until recently... Sean Connery could act. I never thought I'd say/write that in my lifetime, although I had my suspicions. He's not a great actor but has a spectrum of roles he can/did cover very well. Here the movie flows pretty slow until the reveal-it-all end, one can easily get lost in all the innuendos being tossed around, that and other dialogues/monologues which often aren't very self-explanatory. The ending however, makes it well worth if you ask me, plus Connery and Bannen have a great chemistry together. Actually, Bannen's even better than Connery, and the fact that in the end they don't reveal whether he did it or not works wonderfully for him. Dark movie.
Thanks. Blu-ray ordered!

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #14344 : November 25, 2014, 04:16:22 PM »

Saw The Offence about a year ago. I was underwhelmed; it seemed an interesting performance in search of a worthwhile film.

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #14345 : November 25, 2014, 10:40:55 PM »

... Sean Connery could act. I never thought I'd say/write that in my lifetime, although I had my suspicions.

I don't get this at all. Connery dominates the screen like very few.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #14346 : November 25, 2014, 10:42:47 PM »

ONE FOOT IN HEAVEN (1941) 7.5/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #14347 : November 26, 2014, 11:27:49 AM »

WILD RIVER (1960) 6.5/10 ...Maybe 7/10 max.
But ratings are just the beginning of a discuussion. I'd like to continuue this discussion about this fascinating movie: abouut its subject matter, politics, characters, performannces, CinemaCope ... Lots to discuss when i have the time. In the meatime, I'd like to hear what y'all have to say, then i share my opinions soon, when i have the time.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #14348 : November 26, 2014, 11:42:24 AM »

I don't get this at all. Connery dominates the screen like very few.

I consciously slightly belabored that...

The problem is that he's only my third favorite James Bond, and that his movies from the seventies (in whose his best work is to be found, if you ask me) were severely underrepresented over here, which didn't help his cause. Since then I've seen them, yes, and I agree with your statement. O0

Here he gives maybe his best performance, subtle and intense where needed. Certainly much more substance than in his 60's macho phase, and later post The Name of the Rose old-lion-king flicks.

« : November 26, 2014, 11:47:08 AM Dust Devil »

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #14349 : November 26, 2014, 01:40:33 PM »

I watched The Untouchables for the first time in years recently and it wasn't until then that I realized Connery is probably one of my favorite actors. He was so unbelievably good. I think people take him for granted because of how effortless his acting appears. 

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #14350 : November 26, 2014, 02:33:04 PM »

WILD RIVER (1960) 6.5/10 ...Maybe 7/10 max.
But ratings are just the beginning of a discuussion. I'd like to continuue this discussion about this fascinating movie: abouut its subject matter, politics, characters, performannces, CinemaCope ... Lots to discuss when i have the time. In the meatime, I'd like to hear what y'all have to say, then i share my opinions soon, when i have the time.

Whats to discuss? I agree with the 6.5 maybe 7 rating, its not a film that I would actively seek out again, I stumbled upon it on TCM.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #14351 : November 26, 2014, 04:10:23 PM »

Whats to discuss? I agree with the 6.5 maybe 7 rating, its not a film that I would actively seek out again, I stumbled upon it on TCM.
I'm with Joe on this. Not a film that held my interest. Yeah, I like Lee Remick, but she wasn't enough for me.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #14352 : November 27, 2014, 01:40:25 AM »

INTERSTELLAR - 7,5/10

Best Nolan appart from Memento. The good parts were really really good. The bad parts weren't as bad as I feared. Far too predictable though. Also, none of the Nolan brothers have enough imagination (yet) to properly deal with the topics they've tackled lately: the best dream they could come up with in Inception was a Russian base from a James Bond movie, and now their unknown planets are just as dull. Just talk with real scientists, they know far more interesting planets, constituted of ice so cold it's harder than most of our rocks, rains of mercury and under the surface oceans of liquid metal. We also know none circular satellites, which days vary in lengths and which gravity depends on where exactly you stand. That's better than a water world and a ice world and I got it from a radio interview a year ago.
Still, Interstellar has a lot of stuff going for it: mostly good to great acting, top notch directing (not half as good as gravity but still very adult and somewhere between Spielberg and Terrence Malick... in a good way) and, most important, a true adventure feeling.

I saw it in Houston, just after visiting the Space Center, which was cool. Today was space day. However, the IMAX screening was pointless (this movie is far too grainy for its own good, even without IMAX) and the IMAX theater of Houston has terrible screens.

« : November 27, 2014, 01:45:25 AM noodles_leone »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #14353 : November 27, 2014, 06:59:26 AM »

WILD RIVER, it's interesting, ultimately I'm not so excited about the story so I don't give anymore than a 6.5/10, or 7/10 max, but it was beautiful to look at. Really good use of CinemaScope here. One of the usual problems with CinemaScope is that in the big panning shots, the image looks curved, but here it didn't.
Btw, Netflix doesn't have the DVD, so I rented this on iTunes and watched it on my laptop. I paid the extra dollar ($3.99 vs. $2.99) to rent the HD version and I am happy that I did. Cost an extra buck, and took up a couple of gigs extra on my laptop till I watched it, and took longer to download ... but it looked gorgeous. (Haven't seen the non-HD version to compare.)

RE: the politics: when the movie opened with the heartbreaking real-life scene of that man speaking about his family being killed, and because I know Kazan is a liberal, I assumed the movie would be all for the TVA. But I was pleasantly surprised at how the politics were handled, pretty evenhandedly: Ultimately, as much as the gov't may act as and believe they are your friend, it's backed by force: you can smile and try to convince someone that something is in their best interest, but at the end of the day, the only thing really behind the gov't's power is force. As Clift says, "That's progress." The old woman is ultimately seen as quite the opposite of the senile thing Clift assumes her to be. And while those locals are rightfully criticized for their treatment of blacks, their right not to have the gov't force them off their land is presented nicely. I've never been to Tennessee but I wonder if virtually every person in these towns is really a dumb old buffoon with overalls.

Jo Van Fleet is marvelous here; the makeup people did a great job, she was only 45 when this movie was made.

I had little use for Remick, and her character's story, that whole love story between her and Clift, was pretty useless. Montgomery Clift, post-accident, face reconstructed, ain't the same guy.

Ultimately the story didn't interest me that much, but the movie is pretty to look at and I was pleasantly surprised at kazan's handling of the subject of central planning.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #14354 : November 27, 2014, 08:12:58 AM »

INTERSTELLAR - 7,5/10

Best Nolan appart from Memento. The good parts were really really good. The bad parts weren't as bad as I feared. Far too predictable though. Also, none of the Nolan brothers have enough imagination (yet) to properly deal with the topics they've tackled lately: the best dream they could come up with in Inception was a Russian base from a James Bond movie, and now their unknown planets are just as dull. Just talk with real scientists, they know far more interesting planets, constituted of ice so cold it's harder than most of our rocks, rains of mercury and under the surface oceans of liquid metal. We also know none circular satellites, which days vary in lengths and which gravity depends on where exactly you stand. That's better than a water world and a ice world and I got it from a radio interview a year ago.
Still, Interstellar has a lot of stuff going for it: mostly good to great acting, top notch directing (not half as good as gravity but still very adult and somewhere between Spielberg and Terrence Malick... in a good way) and, most important, a true adventure feeling.

I saw it in Houston, just after visiting the Space Center, which was cool. Today was space day. However, the IMAX screening was pointless (this movie is far too grainy for its own good, even without IMAX) and the IMAX theater of Houston has terrible screens.
Glad you liked it, I think I like it more now that I've registered a bit. A shame about your Gravity opinion though ::)

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - 8.5/10
One of my favorite comedies, but it loses some points due to redundancy toward the end. There's not a subgenre I hate much more than the musical biopic (or in most cases, biopic in general) and Walk Hard absolutely tears them apart. It mocks everything from the rise and fall structure to the color palette to the "unexpected revelations" that reveal well-known career turning points. John C Reilly is one of the most talented actors/comics out there. Plus Eddie Vedder is in it. Fuck yeah

: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 1336  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines