Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 26, 2021, 11:16:51 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
: 1 ... 1318 1319 [1320] 1321 1322 ... 1325
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3954792 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19785 : June 03, 2021, 05:03:09 PM »

Season 3 is also incredibly NOT mainstream. It's a wonder it got aired.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19786 : June 05, 2021, 10:54:24 AM »

Magician: The Astonishing Life and Work of Orson Welles (2014) - 8/10. The idea for this film is a good one: tell Welles's life story by stitching together clips and audio of the great man talking about himself (which he loved to do). Sample all the films. Then fill the gaps with comments by "experts"--those who were there, family members, biographers, film authorities (the usual suspects, Bogdanovich, Spielberg, Scorsese, but also Julie Taymor (!) and William Friedkin--when, oh when, did Friedkin become an authority on everything cinematic?). I particularly liked seeing and hearing Welles's daughters speak, as well as Oja Kodar (who seems pretty interesting). Less inspired, though, was the idea to sprinkle in scenes from filmed recreations. We get clips from Me and Orson Welles, RKO 281, Radio Days, even that one bit from Ed Wood. WTH?

The film is very entertaining because Welles was always entertaining. But it basically tells the story we all know without adding anything new, and, no doubt because of its short runtime (92 min.), is actually misleading in many places. For example, when covering Citizen Kane the filmmaker produces a clip of Welles saying the Rosebud ending "doesn't hold up." Yeah, Welles said that, and more than once, but he also said some other things. Like the fact that the device was useful for making the film work, and he couldn't, even in later life, think of a better one. Also, that it was Herman Mankiewicz's idea (like many a great man, Welles liked to take credit for the good things in his work, and blame others for the not-so-good things). But in order to bring in such helpful contextualizing you'd actually have to explore Mankiewicz's contribution to the film. The man gets one brief mention (Toland a bit more). Again, the runtime is brief, the focus is on Welles, so his collaborators get short shrift. Abbreviating everything, though, causes distortions. On the other hand, there's a really good sequence that shows Welles telling, in more than one interview, his How-I-Sold-Harry-Cohn-The-Lady-From-Shanghai story which does a great job of casting doubt on its veracity. More things like this would have been welcome.

Simply, the film needed to be longer. The Blu-ray is coming soon, no doubt--hopefully it includes more material that was cut for time. But with a someone like Welles, even more--ever more--will not be enough to give the subject his due.
The blu did come out, but without extra footage. I stand by my earlier comments.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19787 : June 06, 2021, 02:40:48 AM »

The Sunchaser - 8/10
It's a 7/10 that drops to a 5 because of all the botched scenes, bad editing and the terrible music and rises back to 8 because of its soul and because of the cool Monument Valley/horses scene.
Anybody knows where the actual lake is? My guess so far is Ice Lake, Silverton, Colorado.

Jojo Rabbit - 6/10
Ok

Once Upon A Time In America - 12/10
Nice one.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19788 : June 06, 2021, 09:05:45 AM »

Once Upon A Time In America - 12/10
Nice one.
Your valuation is much too low. Btw, which version are you rating?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19789 : June 06, 2021, 09:21:42 AM »

The US cut of course. Nah the regular 221 min cut. I still haven't seen the long cut as a whole.

I agree with you on my valuation, but you get the point of a 12/10: whatever you throw again it, OUATIA is higher.

Anyway here is my new take on the movie: I don't think we can expect a Lynchean rigor in symbolism from Leone. So I don't think the dream theory, or any kind of "this symbolizes that" reading of the movie really works. Everything changes from a scene to another. All in all, for Leone, cinema is a dream and that's the way Sergio sees the world. So everything is a dream and nothing is a dream, life is cinema, cinema is memories, and the movie keeps showing (more than telling) you that in every way possible. Evrything in it both happened and never happened, it's a movie, Noodles' smile in the end is also the audience's smile. It's funny because in the end, despite everything you can think of, OUATIA isn't that different from the really naturalistic Tale of Cinema.

Also they spend a huge time opening and closing doors, curtains and hidden hatches in this movie.

« : June 06, 2021, 09:34:56 AM noodles_leone »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19790 : June 06, 2021, 11:52:04 AM »

The US cut of course. Nah the regular 221 min cut. I still haven't seen the long cut as a whole.

I agree with you on my valuation, but you get the point of a 12/10: whatever you throw again it, OUATIA is higher.

Anyway here is my new take on the movie: I don't think we can expect a Lynchean rigor in symbolism from Leone. So I don't think the dream theory, or any kind of "this symbolizes that" reading of the movie really works. Everything changes from a scene to another. All in all, for Leone, cinema is a dream and that's the way Sergio sees the world. So everything is a dream and nothing is a dream, life is cinema, cinema is memories, and the movie keeps showing (more than telling) you that in every way possible. Evrything in it both happened and never happened, it's a movie, Noodles' smile in the end is also the audience's smile. It's funny because in the end, despite everything you can think of, OUATIA isn't that different from the really naturalistic Tale of Cinema.

Also they spend a huge time opening and closing doors, curtains and hidden hatches in this movie.
Not to mention the fact that the front for the opium den, which we see at the very beginning, is a kind of theater.

Citta Violenta (1970) - 6/10. The Violent City part is great, as is the Violent Racetrack sequence. Then they move to the Violent Studio Set, and that's a bit slow. However, things are somewhat redeemed at the end with the Violent Glass Elevator gag. Also, Sollima does that great homage to Bronson's Two Beeg Green Eyes by shooting them upside down after he's been cowboyed. There won't be no stinkin' Rising From the Dead scene in this picture!

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19791 : June 06, 2021, 01:24:41 PM »

Not to mention the fact that the front for the opium den, which we see at the very beginning, is a kind of theater.

We see that front room in the first shot of the last scene (that ends with the smile): close up of the show that takes place in that place. The camera zooms out. The room looks exactly like a movie theater. We're leaving the movie.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19792 : June 06, 2021, 02:32:02 PM »

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=6937.0

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19793 : June 06, 2021, 02:58:32 PM »

Nice one. I forgot about that thread. But it seems we forgot something at the time, I'll add it there.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19794 : June 07, 2021, 06:25:44 AM »

The camera zooms out. The room looks exactly like a movie theater. We're leaving the movie.
I like the way I spotted the ball perfectly so you could spike it.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19795 : June 07, 2021, 06:48:41 AM »

I like the way I spotted the ball perfectly so you could spike it.

Telling the truth I almost included it in my first post but chose to keep some amunition, hoping that someone would lead me there. You did. Perfect team work.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #19796 : June 07, 2021, 11:31:55 AM »

The Sunchaser - 8/10
It's a 7/10 that drops to a 5 because of all the botched scenes, bad editing and the terrible music and rises back to 8 because of its soul and because of the cool Monument Valley/horses scene.
Anybody knows where the actual lake is? My guess so far is Ice Lake, Silverton, Colorado.

Is that the Cimino film?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19797 : June 07, 2021, 04:06:59 PM »

Yes it is

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #19798 : June 08, 2021, 02:46:06 AM »

Hmm, I expect The Sunchaser to be terrible, just like Desperate Hours was very terrible.

I just re-watched his first outing Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, and it was not very interesting. The characters are quite weak, there is no chemistry between Eastwood and Bridges for most of the film's runtime, actually Eastwood is miscast. The film features already many of the problems which became more problematic with every film he made after The Deer Hunter, and I expect The Sunchaser to be the nadir of that. Now you made me a little bit curious ...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19799 : June 08, 2021, 03:40:55 AM »

Peril en la demeure/ Peril/ Death in a French Garden (1985) - 5/10. The plot, which is ridiculous, is summarized on IMDb thus: "A magnate and his younger wife hire David to teach guitar to their teenage daughter. The wife quickly seduces David, and simultaneously he strikes up an acquaintance with the family's inquisitive neighbor. One night, David is mugged but rescued from injury by a stranger, Daniel, who also becomes David's friend and admits to being a hit man. Video tapes of their activities appear in the lovers' mail; David thinks they're from the neighbor, Daniel is sure the husband is onto the affair and hired the mugger. After Daniel tells David that he's been hired to kill the husband . . ." things get even more improbable. There are a couple things about the movie that make it worth watching. One is Nicole Garcia taking her clothes off; the other is the many inventive scene transitions that quickly move us from place to place and fast-forward the action. I've never seen so many in a single picture, and several are very clever. If this film were being scored for editing only it would get a 10/10. Someone named Michel Deville made this film. Who he?

« : June 08, 2021, 03:51:30 AM dave jenkins »

: 1 ... 1318 1319 [1320] 1321 1322 ... 1325  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines