Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2021, 01:02:55 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1326 1327 [1328] 1329 1330 ... 1335
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4157777 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19905 : August 20, 2021, 06:24:24 PM »

Larceny (1948) - 7/10. John Payne and Dan Duryea, together again for the first time! They are bunco artists, attempting to scam war widow Joan Caulfield out of funds for a phony memorial. Of course, Payne falls for Joan and begins to go soft on the whole deal. Duryea senses Payne's weakening resolve (and if there's one thing Duryea can't stand, it's a partner with weakening resolve). Complicating things even further is the fact that Shelley Winters, Duryea's moll, has her eyes set on Payne (she gets lots of screen time and all the best lines). I like this film all the way up to its cop-out ending. The wrong character dies! The cast is filled out with such stalwarts as Richard Rober, Dan O'Herlihy, Percy Helton, and, in 3 very welcome scenes, Dorothy Hart. I can see giving up Shelley for Joan, but Dorothy for Joan? No way, no how!

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19906 : August 22, 2021, 03:02:11 AM »

Out of Africa (1985) 8/10
Not sure about the rewatch value, but it looks great, sounds great, has an orgasmical sets and costumes design and developps beautiful relationships between characters. Unfortunately, the length of the story (decades) pushes Pollack to keep a lot of scenes way too short and focus on the few lines that will push the "plot" forward. Hence, some of the emotion as well as some greatly cinematic feelings (tension, adventure...) are cut short here and there... when there was potential for much more. A 2 parts movie could have been a perfect solution.
Needless to say, if you're intolerent to melodrama and/or Meryl Streep, avoid at all costs.

« : August 22, 2021, 03:06:28 AM noodles_leone »

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19907 : August 23, 2021, 02:01:23 PM »

Nikkatsu Diamond Guys Vol 2

Tokyo Mighty Guy (1960) - A silly plot, and very light material with some musical elements. C-

Danger Pays (1962) - The best of the bunch, and a somewhat fun rat race for the money movie. But hardly recommended viewing and if you're looking for a colorful and crazy 60's Japanese movie, Tokyo Drifter (1966) and Black Tight Killers (1966) are the way to go. C+

Murder Unincorporated (1965) - This is a much lesser Killers On Parade (1961). If you're intrigued by goofy, colorful 60's Japanese hitmen comedy movies, then Killers on Parade is the best one. C-

Overall, the set is disappointing. For having three movies on one disc, the transfers are better than you'd think possible, but the movie selections weren't the best. It's a shame (assuming) that Criterion owns the rights to a lot of NIkkatsu genre movies due to their now defunct Eclipse series -- when Arrow would be the perfect label to release those crime flicks and stuff like Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell. This set can't be recommended unless you love 50s-70s Japanese genre movies and want to own most, or all of the Arrow releases. Worth the 14 bucks I spent. but I don't know when I would revisit Danger Pays, and I doubt I'd ever watch the other two movies. C-

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19908 : August 23, 2021, 06:37:02 PM »

Not sure about the rewatch value, but it looks great, sounds great, has an orgasmical sets and costumes design and developps beautiful relationships between characters. Unfortunately, the length of the story (decades) pushes Pollack to keep a lot of scenes way too short and focus on the few lines that will push the "plot" forward. Hence, some of the emotion as well as some greatly cinematic feelings (tension, adventure...) are cut short here and there... when there was potential for much more. A 2 parts movie could have been a perfect solution.
Needless to say, if you're intolerent to melodrama and/or Meryl Streep, avoid at all costs.

I don?t see how anyone can dislike Streep.

I saw this a while ago. I can?t be certain what I thought of it then, but I probably thought it was a decent if overwrought melodrama.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19909 : August 24, 2021, 08:56:22 AM »

O-kajira-sama: Two Tales of Whales (2018) - 8/10. This is a documentary that is a kind of response to an earlier one, the Academy-Award-winning The Cove (2009). Although I have not seen the earlier film, I understand it has a very definite point of view. This film has a point of view too, namely, that everybody has their reasons. The issue is Japanese "whaling" (it turns out the Japanese don't really make a distinction between whales and dolphins), and at the center of the controversy is a small town in Wakayama Prefecture called Taiji. The people of this town have a long tradition of hunting dolphins for food and capturing them to sell to aquariums around the world. Western activists want them to stop doing this and regularly (pre-Covid) show up in Taiji to protest. The film documents the frictions between the two groups and gives everybody a chance to be interviewed. Ultimately, there is no middle ground to discover, and it seems there is no way to satisfactorily resolve the issue. However, what the director, Megumi Sasaki, does discover is a variety of eccentric characters who are a lot of fun to watch: a bearded dad with his teenage daughter representing Sea Shepherd; Rick O'Barry, a former dolphin-trainer for the 60s TV show Flipper, now turned eco-activist; the mayor of Taiji; the people of Taiji; an American journalist named Jay Alabaster who decided to immerse himself in the controversy by moving to Taiji to live; and a mysterious anti-protester activist who is almost certainly yakuza (although the film doesn't identify him as such). These people are hilarious. I didn't think I was going to enjoy the film very much, but this turned out to be one of the best documentaries I've ever seen (it helps that Taiji is very photogenic and that the movie has some absolutely fantastic photography). It seems you can only watch it streaming for now, although there is a DVD available from Japan.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19910 : August 24, 2021, 09:01:52 AM »

I don?t see how anyone can dislike Streep.
It comes effortlessly to me.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19911 : August 25, 2021, 06:02:43 AM »

Pollack
That's enough info right there to keep the cinematically astute far, far away. I hated this film in 1985. I'm pretty sure a re-watch would not change my mind.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19912 : August 26, 2021, 01:10:02 AM »

I hated this film in 1985. I'm pretty sure a re-watch would not change my mind.

I don't know how I knew it but I knew it.

Twin Peaks seasons 1&2, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Twin Peaks: The Return (David Lynch, 1990-2017) 10/10
So I spent the summer rewatching the whole thing in order and it's a masterpiece. An infamously flawed one, of course, but still a masterpiece. Who gave The Return/season 3 a shot on this board? I have the feeling CJ could LOVE some of it. Not the whole thing. But there is something from Alfredo Garcia in this.

« : August 26, 2021, 01:19:08 AM noodles_leone »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19913 : August 26, 2021, 05:28:15 AM »

I don't know how I knew it but I knew it.

Twin Peaks seasons 1&2, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Twin Peaks: The Return (David Lynch, 1990-2017) 10/10
So I spent the summer rewatching the whole thing in order and it's a masterpiece. An infamously flawed one, of course, but still a masterpiece. Who gave The Return/season 3 a shot on this board? I have the feeling CJ could LOVE some of it. Not the whole thing. But there is something from Alfredo Garcia in this.

Yea I watched it and even watched a podcast on each episode. I liked it too.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19914 : August 26, 2021, 05:39:15 AM »

Stage Fright (1950) - directed by Hitchcock starring Marlene Dietrich, Jane Wyman, Richard Todd, Michael Wilding, Alastair Sim, and Sybil Thorndike. Worth a watch once nothing special.

West II (1963) - Michael Winner directed film noir about a seedy Notting Hill, London. A down on his luck Joe Beckett (Alfred Lynch) is recruited into crime by Richard Dyce (Eric Portman) with Diana Dors. Worth a watch has a nice jazzy score.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19915 : August 26, 2021, 11:30:53 AM »

Stage Fright (1950) - directed by Hitchcock starring Marlene Dietrich, Jane Wyman, Richard Todd, Michael Wilding, Alastair Sim, and Sybil Thorndike. Worth a watch once nothing special.

West II (1963) - Michael Winner directed film noir about a seedy Notting Hill, London. A down on his luck Joe Beckett (Alfred Lynch) is recruited into crime by Richard Dyce (Eric Portman) with Diana Dors. Worth a watch has a nice jazzy score.
Ratings?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19916 : August 27, 2021, 03:10:56 AM »

Ratings?

6-7/10 for both

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #19917 : August 28, 2021, 08:05:02 AM »

"Robin Hood: Men in Tights"

Rate 7/10, some of the jokes are dated, but still a Mel Brooks film.  Many references to RH Prince of Thieves (which I thought sucked) and to Adventures of Robin Hood (which is absolutely great) and Michael Curtiz/Errol Flynn.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19918 : August 28, 2021, 06:20:00 PM »

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4633690/

Shot Caller (2017) 7/10

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is released from prison. There?s no BS here about wanting to go straight. He immediately goes back to crime. He looks like your typical perp, long hair, big mustache, lots of tattoos. Through flashbacks we learn that he was businessman and family man, who was imprisoned for a manslaughter and DWI, and forced to become a hardened tough guy to survive in prison.

This film is very brutal and bloody. Miss Baltimore did not have an easy time watching this  >:D

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19919 : August 28, 2021, 07:51:59 PM »

Magnet of Doom / L'aine des Ferchaux (1963) - 1/10. Someday someone will have to explain to me how the man who made Le Doulos, Second Wind, Army of Shadows, The Red Circle, etc. also made this (and that other P.o.S., Two Men in Manhattan).

« : August 28, 2021, 07:53:12 PM dave jenkins »

: 1 ... 1326 1327 [1328] 1329 1330 ... 1335  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines