Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 28, 2022, 06:20:43 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 ... 1345
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4361694 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20085 : December 05, 2021, 11:29:48 AM »

I'm pretty happy with my movie watching experience these days.

The Tragedy of Macbeth (2021) - 8.5/10
Terrific adaptation by Joel Coen (by the way, it is impossible to notice his borhter wasn't around for this one. It felt 100% like a pure Coen brothers movies, only serious this time). I caught a free Imax screening thanks to an obscure link Mr Power sent me and I don't regret it: the imax format (and sounds) is a great support to the highly stilized, squarish format of the movie. The experessionist, theatrical style works perfectly and is much more convincing than the cool looking but kind of boring Fassbender adaptation and really puts the Shakespearian language up and front to the maximum effect. Much praise have been given to Denzel Washington and I won't deny he gave his very best performance here. He found the perfect way to make the old english sound perfectly natural in his mouth. The same couldn't be said of Frances McDormand, who isn't bad but doesn't blend in. Good thing they kept the part were Lady Macbeth goes crazy to the shortest.

The Power of the Dog (2021) - 8/10
I have good and bad things to say about this one, but all in all it's really good and the more I think of it the more I like it. Watch it. Netflix. Now. if only because that's the only cow boy movie where you'll actually see what a cow boy does.

Trois Couleurs : Blanc 7/10
First viewing for me of this light hearted, quite surrealist entry into the trilogy. It felt a lot like a Polanski movie, although by a much more humanist filmmaker.

Trois Couleurs : Rouge 8/10
Second viewing. This one sometimes reaches the greatness of Blue but doesn't sustain it on the long run. I wonder if Kieslwski didn't get a bit lost in his style and forgot to focus on what he was actually capturing once the art direction and the great camera moves were set up. The dialogues are especially lacking here and there. It's still a great movie, but only the shadow on the Dostoevskian masterpiece it could have been. Of course the way it ties the trilogy together in the end helps it steal a point in rating.

« : December 16, 2021, 09:52:57 AM noodles_leone »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #20086 : December 06, 2021, 05:59:10 AM »

The indoctrination of Miss Baltimore continued this weekend, with a screening of OUATITW. Yeah, she liked it. She thinks Claudia Cardinale has the most perfect nose she?s ever seen. And the best acting job, she says, was ? Gabrielle Ferzetti.

Oh, and in the massacre at McBain ranch, when the cicadas go silent, she said, ?oh, so there is a way to get the cicadas to go silent?!??  ;D (Summer 2021 they made their once-every-17-years emergence in Baltimore and nearby areas.)

« : December 06, 2021, 10:01:20 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20087 : December 06, 2021, 06:21:41 AM »

There is indeed a way, but it isn't easy. You have to make the cicadas go: "Oh my God it's Henry Fonda!"

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #20088 : December 06, 2021, 10:03:47 AM »

When Cheyenne grabbed Jill?s ass and said ?Make believe it?s nothing,? Baltimore exclaims ?#metoo!?

Come to think of it, that?s what Andrew Cuomo shoulda told all state employees. Make believe it?s nothing

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #20089 : December 10, 2021, 06:24:27 AM »

Lady Snowblood (1973) - The first 50 minutes or so are even better than I remembered -- and outside of some dated (but good) funky 70's music in a couple spots, that 50 minute stretch is almost perfection. It's the perfect exploitation movie, but then the plot gets a little goofy, and the climax didn't quite deliver the way I thought it did. I (wrongly) remembered something much better. But still, this is close to a Fistful of Dollars level of movie. Had the plot and climax been handled better, this would undoubtedly be a much more coherent and cohesive Kill Bill. It still sort of is in a way, but that restaurant scene in Kill Bill Vol 1 is so good. A
Comments: 10/10. Criterion transfer: 10/10. Film: 8/10. Best use of fake blood in a movie ever.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20090 : December 11, 2021, 07:54:51 PM »

West Side Story (2021) - 10/10 and 1/10. Perfect. And perfectly pointless. But you will believe that late 50s Manhattan still exists. The Doc character has been replaced by his widow, Valentina, so that Rita Moreno could have a part (she played Anita in 1961). What makes this a Spielberg picture? Money.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20091 : December 12, 2021, 04:12:58 AM »

What makes this a Spielberg picture?

A deep, instinctive and out of this world mastering of that kind of cinematic language. You may very well dislike or don't care for the Spielbergian way (there is are several well known solid cases against Steven) but if you don't get what is actually does, you don't get Steven Spielberg and why, at some point, he dominated and defined what cinema meant for 2 generations and why he's losing touch and appeal these days.

I give West Side Story 2021 a 8/10. Its main flaw is of course the material and Spielberg's love of it: Berstein is fine and all but he isn't Gershwin, he just doesn't deserve 2h37 of pure reverence. It's the most sincere Spielberg movie since Munich and he put is whole heart and his whole art in it. It's gorgeous even when it should be cheesy, it's exciting even when it should be boring. I was amazed at how the cheesy romance really works, especiually in its first sequences. Steven made it sensual and believable, although 100% cinematic and stupid. While his craft is, like I said, out of this world, I was most amazed by his close up. He finally found the way back to his hugely powerful, intense and Spielbergian close up. I cannot believe how much I was moved by the successive deaths in this movie... and I'm really not a musical guy.

« : December 12, 2021, 04:34:05 AM noodles_leone »

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #20092 : December 12, 2021, 11:04:22 PM »

Broken Arrow (1950) - Outside of some preachy dialogue, this is the rare message picture from the classic era where the entertainment value doesn't suffer from the message -- Odds Against Tomorrow (1959) is the best example of this. However, Broken Arrow can't quite have the great climax because it would dilute its point (or message) in that it's very easy for humans to hate. Horrible conflicts can often be nuanced situations where flawed human emotion causes tons of damage. Or something like that. This movie is very smart despite some clunky dialogue, but it's a shame that the 3-Strip technicolor doesn't pop the way you'd like it to -- maybe that's a Fox thing since I find most of their non-John Ford color movies to lack that technicolor beauty that you'd expect. I doubt it's a flaw of the Kino transfer, but the night scenes look great. Broken Arrow definitely improves on a re-watch, and Jeff Chandler and Jimmy Stewart have great chemistry. Delmer Daves needs to be placed into that rare Michael Curtiz chameleon category where they usually give movies exactly what they need visually and don't quite have the idiosyncratic traits of the Fords, Hawks, etc. B+

« : December 12, 2021, 11:05:33 PM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20093 : December 13, 2021, 07:17:15 AM »

It's gorgeous even when it should be cheesy, it's exciting even when it should be boring. I was amazed at how the cheesy romance really works, especiually in its first sequences. Steven made it sensual and believable, although 100% cinematic and stupid. While his craft is, like I said, out of this world, I was most amazed by his close up. He finally found the way back to his hugely powerful, intense and Spielbergian close up.
Spielberg just followed (for the most part) the set-ups from 1961. Both 1961 and 2021 are Robert Wise pictures (but 2021 is the better of the two).

Here's a question: which is the better movie, In the Heights or WSS 2021? There's only one correct answer.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20094 : December 13, 2021, 08:21:25 AM »

Spielberg just followed (for the most part) the set-ups from 1961. Both 1961 and 2021 are Robert Wise pictures (but 2021 is the better of the two).

Here's a question: which is the better movie, In the Heights or WSS 2021? There's only one correct answer.

He followed a lot, but made it more Spielbergian, more cinematic and by doing so drifted far away from the stage version. I suspect the similarities between the two films are also heavily linked to the way Spielberg learned a lot from Wise and used what he learned in all of his movies. The jazzy opening from WSS 1961 and the way the hands snapping enter and leave the screen as well as the clever cuts already felt so Steven Spielberg.

Are you seriously trying to sell us In The Heights?

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #20095 : December 13, 2021, 09:16:23 AM »

DJ, you're a madman. I'm seeing West Side Story tonight and I already like it better than In the Heights. You don't strike me as someone who's into 2-hour Target commercials.

Licorice Pizza - 9/10
Seeing it again in two weeks.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #20096 : December 13, 2021, 09:41:51 AM »

Is West Side Story really a Robert Wise film. Or not just a MGM blockbuster partly directed by Wise and Robbins?

Last time I watched it, it was apart form the dance scenes a dumb and boring film with cliched characters. For me it is a bit sad that Wise is now best known for 2 pretty impersonal blockbuster musicals.

But I'm sure even if the Steve stays close to the old film it is a personal film.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20097 : December 13, 2021, 10:21:37 AM »

Licorice Pizza - 9/10
Seeing it again in two weeks.

When PowerRR rates a PTA movie under 12/10, it means it's a solid 3.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #20098 : December 13, 2021, 03:03:29 PM »

For me it is a bit sad that Wise is now best known for 2 pretty impersonal blockbuster musicals.
The majority of fans of those two musicals are casual movie fans and they generally don't know or care about Robert Wise. His real legacy is The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Set-Up, Odds Against Tomorrow, the Val Lewton/40s RKO stuff, et al.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #20099 : December 14, 2021, 01:56:16 AM »

Yes, and several others.

Wise was not a really great director, but he was capable of making atmospheric and tough action dramas. But his best films are not over 8/10 for me. Actually, checking his filmography, it appears that he made from the beginning on a lot of forgettable and forgotten films next to the films we like him for. And he made most of his good ones before 1960. Of his later films for me only The Haunting (1963) and The Andromeda Strain (1971) are of interest, and sadly on a recent re-watch I was partly disappointed by The Haunting, which was surprisingly far less good than remembered. The characters and the dialogues were often considerably dull, which lowers the films impact a lot.

Ma favourite film of him is the underrated tough western Blood on the Moon (1948)

: 1 ... 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 ... 1345  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines