Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 08, 2022, 10:27:51 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1358 1359 [1360] 1361
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4642729 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #20385 : July 01, 2022, 10:50:40 AM »

The Drowning Pool (1975) - An objectively better plot than Harper, or at the very least, a much more thought out conclusion to said plot. While part of me prefers the colorful mid 60's poppy charm of Harper, this is the better movie, and that water sequence is pretty damn clever when graded on a curve of all the 'James Bond's in danger, how does he escape' sequences. Great cast all around, Murray Hamilton is great as usual. B
Agree with everything you say. I might give it a B+, though.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #20386 : July 04, 2022, 11:12:29 PM »

The Strange One (1957) 7.5/10

Quite a juicy tole and terrific performance by Ben Gazzara in his first movie.

not sure if you'd call this a noir, but Eddie Muller played it on Noir Alley

intro https://youtu.be/gT4SPlE_00E

outro https://youtu.be/C1D-y9TFL8c

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #20387 : July 11, 2022, 04:50:40 AM »

Quote from: dave jenkins
Slither (1973) 8/10. Not to be confused with a creature feature, this is the GBU remake that starred Jimmy Caan, Peter Boyle and Sally Kellerman (the Good, the Ugly, and the Batshit Insane, respectively). There were also two very creepy vans. Man, what good films they made in the 70s. Not like the crap they make now.

Quote from: dave jenkins
Kellerman passed recently, so this, which contains her very best performance, was due a re-watch. This film belongs with Scarecrow, The Last Detail, Straight Time, and all those other underappreciated 70s classics. A better movie decade than any we've had since.

While I love the (specific) van theme and the GBU connection, this one dies a quick death about an hour in...there needed to be a twist of some sort and a raising of stakes. Slither pulls a Destry Rides Again and just gives up once things get incredibly interesting. The pacing of the first hour is phenomenal, but the predictable half twist is the reason I just saw this for the first time. I do have to say that I love the nod to FAFDM in the opening scene, and this is worth seeing, but you know the fate of this movie in the first 15 mins when Caan's character stupidly keeps pulling up the blinds when he's being shot at -- if Hollywood existed and had any functional brains, this would be a great remake candidate. C

« : July 11, 2022, 04:52:02 AM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #20388 : July 13, 2022, 06:22:20 AM »

The Cabin in the Woods (2011) - A horror movie for people that hate horror movies. For something that clearly hates the horror genre, the nuts and bolts of this don't rise above the standard fare of the genre -- certainly not enough to justify its arrogance. The CGI is abhorrently bad, As for the movie, the pace is on point, and it's entertaining at face value, but you're also wondering about certain motivations for nearly the duration of the movie, and the explanation is underwhelming. Basically, fuck anything meta. C

Into the Night (1985) - Something of a gem, especially if they stripped down some of the comedy and played it a touch straighter...also Landis should have ditched the BB King soundtrack, which is pretty much the blues version of Jagger + Bowie's "Dancing in the Street". King was/is a legend, but the soundtrack is some of the worst of what the 80's had to offer. As for the movie, it's a lot of fun, and much better shot than the typical Landis movie. There's a diner scene which is reminiscent of the classic scene in Thief (1981). With a poppier or more synthy soundtrack and less goofy villains, this might have been a full blown classic. At the very least, it's certainly worth a watch, or an additional one. The cast is great and Pfieffer and Goldblum have much better chemistry than you'd think. B

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20389 : July 13, 2022, 07:34:45 AM »

The Cabin in the Woods (2011) - A horror movie for people that hate horror movies. For something that clearly hates the horror genre, the nuts and bolts of this don't rise above the standard fare of the genre -- certainly not enough to justify its arrogance. The CGI is abhorrently bad, As for the movie, the pace is on point, and it's entertaining at face value, but you're also wondering about certain motivations for nearly the duration of the movie, and the explanation is underwhelming. Basically, fuck anything meta. C

Don't you think the meta scenes are the most convincing ones? I could have stayed the whole movie with Richard Jenkins in the office/bunker (and the movie would have been much better). I do find your "certainly not enough to justify its arrogance" note pretty funny though. It seems that movie tried to attack you personnally - which, i swear, it didn't. It's still a little inoffensive movie. I'm not sure the people who made it HATE horror movies. I think they don't care for them (if they cared the horror scenes would be more visceral). Which is weird because the idea behind the ending could only have been pulled off by somebody who loves horror.

On a general level I have noticed words like "arrogance", "pretension" and the like have nothing to do in a movie review because they're always unfair. When we say "arrogant" about a movie we only mean "I don't like it". If you had liked that movie you'd have raved about is "ambition". In this particular case you seem to be saying it's trying to do something and fails, which, once again, isn't "arrogance": it's "failing". So it's an unfair word, that I'm actively trying to banish from my movie reviews.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #20390 : July 13, 2022, 08:31:35 AM »

Don't you think the meta scenes are the most convincing ones? I could have stayed the whole movie with Richard Jenkins in the office/bunker (and the movie would have been much better). I do find your "certainly not enough to justify its arrogance" note pretty funny though. It seems that movie tried to attack you personnally - which, i swear, it didn't. It's still a little inoffensive movie. I'm not sure the people who made it HATE horror movies. I think they don't care for them (if they cared the horror scenes would be more visceral). Which is weird because the idea behind the ending could only have been pulled off by somebody who loves horror.

On a general level I have noticed words like "arrogance", "pretension" and the like have nothing to do in a movie review because they're always unfair. When we say "arrogant" about a movie we only mean "I don't like it". If you had liked that movie you'd have raved about is "ambition". In this particular case you seem to be saying it's trying to do something and fails, which, once again, isn't "arrogance": it's "failing". So it's an unfair word, that I'm actively trying to banish from my movie reviews.
It's perfectly fine to label something arrogant, especially when a movie is clearly going after an entire genre (+ subgenres) and the fans of said genre. The gods are clearly the mindless, bloodthirsty horror fans, and the lab workers manipulating the environment to make the characters act stupidly is clearly a not so subtle dig at horror filmmakers/writers. I don't even hate this movie, I just find it to write a check that its ass couldn't cash. It's functional enough as a piece of entertainment.

The lab scenes, at surface level, are somewhat entertaining, but the audience has too many questions: what's the point of this? Would this entire thing cost at least a trillion dollars, so who's funding this and why? How was this tech developed? et al. Those questions make the reveal less of a reveal and more of a disappointment.

Arrogance doesn't automatically mean something is bad, and there's no reason to limit criticism in any way. Zabriskie Point has to be one of the most arrogant movies ever made, and for all its flaws, it's also kind of special in its own dumb way. JFK would firmly make my top 50, and that can be seen as very arrogant as well.

I'd also strongly argue that Joss Whedon's dialogue and humor (which led to cringe Marvel humor) has done much more harm than any horror trends.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20391 : July 13, 2022, 09:22:21 AM »

It's perfectly fine to label something arrogant,

Still thinking it makes a review go off rail into boring 100% subjective territory (the wost place to be for a movie review) but also almost always leads the discussion in a dead end (because you end up spiralling on commenting an attitude and a reaction to said attitude instead of commenting about the reality of the movie). But let's forget that, it was a side note on a general level, not targetted at your particular review.

especially when a movie is clearly going after an entire genre (+ subgenres) and the fans of said genre. The gods are clearly the mindless, bloodthirsty horror fans, and the lab workers manipulating the environment to make the characters act stupidly is clearly a not so subtle dig at horror filmmakers/writers.

Yeah, but i feel no hate at all in the whole movie. More like smartasses who think Scream was a genius career move trying to find another way in. Which might be more hateable than people hating a whole genre, I'll give you that.

The lab scenes, at surface level, are somewhat entertaining, but the audience has too many questions: what's the point of this? Would this entire thing cost at least a trillion dollars, so who's funding this and why? How was this tech developed? et al. Those questions make the reveal less of a reveal and more of a disappointment.
Probably. I just didn't care at all about those questions. I think those boring guys with short sleeve shirts and cheap ties working in a highly secured area and dealing with monsters is a cool enough movie idea for me to just sit and enjoy. The dialogue isn't that good in that movie but the ideas are there and Richard Jenkins pulls it off. I could watch that guy order food for 3 hours anyway so maybe I'm biased.

I'd also strongly argue that Joss Whedon's dialogue and humor (which led to cringe Marvel humor) has done much more harm than any horror trends.
Are you bating me into a Marvel hating rant? Let's be clear once and for all: anobdy involved in anything MCU related that actually got released deserves to be fed to the tigers. I'm such an extremist on this issue that I'm this close to consider anybody who ever bought a MCU movie ticket as guilty by association and send them to the tigers too.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #20392 : July 13, 2022, 11:09:31 AM »

You'd have a point about the lab workers if they weren't mass murdering college kids for seemingly no reason. How do you not ask some of those questions? At the very least, there should have been a red herring of some sort. But sure, if they were just employees in a monster lab, that would work perfectly fine. It's just the whole murdering and manipulating the environment thing (etc) that's so puzzling.

I don't care to get into semantics over subjectivity. To me, that's the ultimate boredom inducing conversation. Just know that when I see a gross amount of self-indulgence, I am going to unleash fury. If I had to choose one movie as my least favorite of all time, it's Synecdoche NY by a wide margin. That probably says a lot. Every single person that reviews any type of creative work has their own preferences and biases.

Just because something is self-indulgent doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Boogie Nights could be guilty of over indulgence, and it's a movie I absolutely love. Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive could be argued as well, though I don't want to get into a debate over it.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #20393 : July 13, 2022, 02:10:58 PM »

Let's be clear once and for all: anobdy involved in anything MCU related that actually got released deserves to be fed to the tigers. I'm such an extremist on this issue that I'm this close to consider anybody who ever bought a MCU movie ticket as guilty by association and send them to the tigers too.
Hey now!

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20394 : July 15, 2022, 02:21:20 AM »

Hey now!

For some absolutely unknown reasons to me I did buy a ticket for each of the 2 Hulk movies (2003 and 2008), one of which ended up in the MCU. So we?d be fighting the tigers side by side, although I might find a way to be pardoned: I THINK that?s the only money I directly spent on anything MCU. I saw most Iron Man stuff on Netflix, some Spider-Man stuff on someone else?s Disney+ account and most of the rest of the shitty MCU stuff on planes. So my money was trying to kill the planet more than cinema.

(Logan isn?t MCU, right? What about Deadpool? I might have bought that one)

Unrelated: I?m currently spending a couple of weeks near Rome and here is where I ate last night:
https://www.checcoercarettiere.it/

Pneumatic
Road Apple

« #20395 : July 21, 2022, 06:34:53 AM »

Le petit soldat 8/10 - Filmed mostly in Geneva! Very well done and ages well. Good story and actors. Michel Subor as usual is great!

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20396 : July 26, 2022, 02:18:47 AM »

Old (M. Night Shyamalan, 2021) - 4/10
This one is not always greatly shot but it's always trying, always going against the easiest way. And it usually looks good at least, which is the first time in over a decade for Mr Shyamalan. Now. It's bad. Really bad, with fun moments. The tension isn't well done, the characters are stupid and deserve to die (both the good and the bad guys), the big answer is exactly what you imagine 5min into the movie and also happens to be ridiculously bad and unbelievable. The high concept got me to keep watching without getting bored but didn't stop me from being highly annoyed more than half the time.

Elvis: That's the Way it Is - Special Edition (1970/2022) - 8.5/10

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #20397 : July 26, 2022, 12:00:05 PM »

Three O'Clock High (1987) - A wonderful example of how great direction, pace and plotting can turn a Saved By the Bell premise into something special. This feels like if you took High Noon and the first half hour of After Hours and threw into in an 80's teen movie blender. And it somehow came out almost perfect. While I was hoping for a Fistful of Dollars type of clever trick at the end, this movie delivers. A-

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20398 : July 28, 2022, 01:50:26 PM »

Ο Βασιλιάς  aka  The King 2002 It's a bit like Straw Dogs, watch here with English subs.

https://youtu.be/PGHJukAjVgA

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20399 : August 01, 2022, 06:30:51 AM »

Teddy (Ludovic & Zoran Boukherma, 2020) - 7.5/10
Werewolf movie done right. Totally by the book but the right way, for the right reasons (not trying to pastiche or imitate anything). The main character/actor is especially good. TH, if you come across this one I'd be interested in your review.

Dead Man (Jim Jarmusch, 1995) - 8.5/10
Wes Anderson done right.

« : August 01, 2022, 06:33:15 AM noodles_leone »

: 1 ... 1358 1359 [1360] 1361  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines