Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2022, 03:37:15 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1359 1360 [1361] 1362 1363 ... 1365
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4698256 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #20400 : August 02, 2022, 08:35:13 AM »

From TCM's greatest hits:

The Green Slime (1968) - 4/10. The only thing in this scarier than the titular monster is Robert Horton's hair. Here's a question, though: why settle for Robert Horton if you can get Doug McClure? And why take Doug McClure if you can have Christopher George? Was it a money issue? Oh well, the theme song is still funky. Richard Jaeckel spotted!

Walk Softly, Stranger (1950) - 7/10. This is pretty good until Paul Stewart shows up to finger Joe Cotten and Joe does absolutely nothing about it. Man, when Stewart shows, you can't think twice about it, you've got to immediately transform that creep into landfill. Of course, the filmmakers didn't want Cotten to be a murderer, that would spoil the weepy ending where Alida Valli in a wheelchair promises to wait for him. But still.

The Enchanted Cottage (1945) - 8/10. Kinda sweet. Hollywood's attempt to take their actors with movie-star looks and uglify them is always amusing.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20401 : August 04, 2022, 02:44:19 PM »

Black Coal, Thin Ice (2014) - 6/10. An artsy-fartsy crime film, a police procedural where the police never follow procedures (and frequently die as a result), or Just One Damn Thing After Another: you decide.  Well, I do like looking at Gwei Lun-Mei (or, if you prefer, Lun-Mei Gwei), so I guess I'll be rewatching this. Hopefully, Diao Yinan's best work is still ahead of him.
Saw this on a Well Go USA blu, and the box lists a run time of 110 minutes. I've now just discovered, on PlutoTV, which, apparently, I can stream for free, a cut which lasts 136 minutes. WTF?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20402 : August 05, 2022, 01:27:52 AM »

Saw this on a Well Go USA blu, and the box lists a run time of 110 minutes. I've now just discovered, on PlutoTV, which, apparently, I can stream for free, a cut which lasts 136 minutes. WTF?

The cut I have seen is 109 minutes long.

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011) - 8.5/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20403 : August 07, 2022, 06:31:57 PM »

Elvis (2022) - 11/10. I hate Spaz Luhrmann, care nothing for Elvis Presley, and usually can't stand Tom Hanks, but I went to see this anyway . . . and it's a cinematic miracle.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20404 : August 10, 2022, 05:31:39 PM »

The Secret Ways (1961) - 7/10. An espionage flick with Richard Widmark, based on an Alistair MacLean novel. A kind of precursor to The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, but with a much more "up" ending. Everything was apparently shot in Vienna, even the studio stuff. And because it's a Phil Karlson picture, the last 40 minutes are pure suspense. Really worth taking a look at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqkmTSXGR2c

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20405 : August 13, 2022, 02:51:14 AM »

The Great Edgar Wright Retrospective 2022 on my parents' home cinema is coming to an end. Only 2 films left. So far:

Shawn of the Dead - 8/10
Hot Fuzz - 9/10
Scott Pilgrim vs the World - 10/10
The World's End - 8.5/10
Baby Driver - 6.5/10

Coming next: Last Night in Soho and may be, just may be, the Sparks Brothers.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20406 : August 14, 2022, 05:39:10 PM »

Frankenstein's Castle Of Freaks (1974)  Good for a few laughs. Count Frankenstein (must a been a relative to the Baron), Rossano Brazzi is reanimating a dead Neanderthal (they still find a few living in the local caves and they got to kill one every once in a while. The Count has three helpers one Hans (Luciano Pigozzi), the hunchback Kreegin (Xiro Papas), and the horny deviant dwarf played by Michael Dunn. It's a sort of a Sexploitation monster movie. I first caught some of it on "Elvira's Movie Macabre" Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks lol, and noticed it had a lot of censored ovals for a PG film, lol. Found it streaming on ok.ru.

I was always a big Michael Dunn fan from TV's The Wild Wild West. It's pretty ridiculous but had to watch a 4/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #20407 : August 15, 2022, 09:22:30 PM »

Better Call Saul (2015 to 2022) - 100/10
The only work of art that almost gives Once Upon a Time in America a run for its money.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20408 : August 16, 2022, 05:15:22 AM »

Christopher is very disappointed in you.

As is Scott.

« : August 16, 2022, 05:16:25 AM noodles_leone »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20409 : August 16, 2022, 07:05:21 AM »

As bestas (Rodrigo Sorogoyen, 2022) - 6.5/10
Straw Dogs nowadays, in spain. Well done, very good cinematography, good to great acting, pretty smart plot, but it never comes close of the savagery, the tension and the cruel dissection of the mediocrity of the human soul that Straw Dogs achieves.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20410 : August 17, 2022, 08:08:50 AM »

The IPCRESS File, episodes 1-6 (2022) The original 1965 film, starring Michael Caine as Harry Palmer, was based on Len Deighton's witty 1962 thriller. The film changed much of the story, but it retained the one essential element: the protagonist's acerbic voice. Deighton's novel is told first-person, and there's a zinger on nearly every page. Mimicing that voice, and putting it into the mouth of Caine, produced a successful adaptation and a winning formula, one repeated in the sequels that followed.

Still, it was a shame about the original story, because Deighton's globe-trotting plot was an interesting one. The 1965 film limited all the action to London. As I said, the adaptation was nonetheless successful, but one couldn't help wondering what Harry Saltzman might have done with a bigger budget and exotic location shoots.

Imagine, then, my excitement when I learned about the new 6-part TV series, set in the early 60s, which appeared, in the previews, to follow more closely the Deighton novel. The Beirut snatch job? It's in there! The nuclear weapon's test on the south Pacific atol? It's in there! The hot lady spy for Harry to "work" with? She's in there (played by the very fetching Lucy Boynton, who looks fab in her 60's vintage couture--and would probably look even better out of it, but it's not that kind of show).

Amazon/AMC had the first episode streaming for free, and after watching it I was ready to sign up for my trial subscription so I could finish the series. And finish it I did, even as it finished me. Each subsequent episode was more disappointing than the one before, and I probably would have stopped watching early if it were not for the continuing presence of Ms. Boynton.

Yeah, they went back to Deigton's novel for inspiration, but they were not content with that. They had to lard the story with lots of extra calories. That way, doncha know, there could be lots of twists in every episode. It's not enough to build to one big climactic twist in the final moments (a la Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy or even The IPCRESS File). No, no, that's not the way TV does it these days.

And in order for the twists to keep coming, new, fantastic revelations have to be made. A whole sub-plot involving Harry's boss, Dalby, and a female Russian spy has to be introduced and then tweaked. A cabal of evil/insane American military/CIA types who want to get revenge on President Kennedy for botching the Bay of Pigs operation becomes the motive for everything that happens. And then the whole mess devolves into a retread of The Manchurian Candidate, as if that was what was wanted. Needless to say, none of this is from Deighton.

And you know what? The more extraneous material you work into the story, the less room there is for things like Harry's wit. I've re-read Deighton's novel several times, and it's not for the story, which I can ever barely remember. It's for the voice of the protagonist (the character is actually unnamed in the book). The most important thing to be saved is the first thing jettisoned in the new TV adaption. Therefore: 3/10.

« : August 17, 2022, 08:10:48 AM dave jenkins »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20411 : August 20, 2022, 07:11:47 PM »

Utz (1992) - 8/10. George Sluizer's adaptation of a Bruce Chatwin novel about a collector of Meissen porcelain and the art dealer trying to chase the collection down. The porcelain is featured, and to do so the decision was made to fill the film with only static shots--none of your moving camera B.S. here. With Armin Mueller-Stahl, Brenda Fricker, Paul Scofield, and Peter Riegert. I had this on LD nearly 3 decades ago. I've only just found it again now: http://rarefilmm.com/2022/08/utz-1992/

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20412 : August 22, 2022, 08:27:35 AM »

Un coeur en hiver (1992) 10/10. Showed this to Mrs. J last night and we both enjoyed it. The Ravel piece is fantastic and used well. I've nothing new to add, really, as everything important is covered here: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=6678.msg99971#msg99971

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20413 : August 22, 2022, 02:49:29 PM »

Filmworker (2018) - 10/10. After years of patient suffering, Leon Vitali becomes Stanley Kubrick. R.I.P. I hear that the director is bringing out a longer cut. In the meantime, this can be screened in its present form on amazon/Cohen for free with a trial subscription.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20414 : August 25, 2022, 07:29:33 AM »

Slade in Flame (1975) - 6/10. Before This is Spinal Tap, the band Slade spoofed themselves in a feature film as the group Flame. Tom Conti (remember him?) does a great turn in this as reptilian management. Solid portrait of the UK in the mid-70s. The only problem is that the songs written for Flame to perform aren't as good as Slade tunes. I went the whole film hoping to hear "Come Feel the Noise" and "Ballroom Blitz" only to be disappointed.

: 1 ... 1359 1360 [1361] 1362 1363 ... 1365  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines