Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2021, 04:41:00 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 1335
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4158162 )
Tuco the ugly

« #3405 : May 18, 2008, 05:32:51 PM »

Lock Up (1989) - 7/10

Am I the only one who thinks this is a good movie?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #3406 : May 18, 2008, 06:56:09 PM »

You'd give the movie a 7?
No, your description gets a 7. The movie sucks.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #3407 : May 18, 2008, 07:12:09 PM »

Hiroshima, My Love (1959) - Can't rate/10
I honestly don't know how to rate this movie ??? I'll have to watch it again. Right now I'm speechless.
I sympathize. I've been thinking about this film for 25 years and I still can't quite come to terms with it. Some of it doesn't seem to work: what's up with that faux documentary at the beginning? And the ending is so obscure that it threatens to overthrow all that's gone on before. And there is absolutely no chemistry between the male and female leads. OTOH, what the film does well it does very well indeed, particularly the depiction of French provincial life under the occupation and the treatment meted out to collaborators immediately thereafter. But even more astounding, thanks to Resnais's editing and use of sound, is the sense of one's being able to slip back and forth between memory and the present so effortlessly, also the fact that the past can be every bit as vivid as what we're experiencing now. Probably no other film does a better job of suggesting that time is an illusion . . .

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #3408 : May 19, 2008, 05:33:02 AM »

I sympathize. I've been thinking about this film for 25 years and I still can't quite come to terms with it. Some of it doesn't seem to work: what's up with that faux documentary at the beginning? And the ending is so obscure that it threatens to overthrow all that's gone on before. And there is absolutely no chemistry between the male and female leads. OTOH, what the film does well it does very well indeed, particularly the depiction of French provincial life under the occupation and the treatment meted out to collaborators immediately thereafter. But even more astounding, thanks to Resnais's editing and use of sound, is the sense of one's being able to slip back and forth between memory and the present so effortlessly, also the fact that the past can be every bit as vivid as what we're experiencing now. Probably no other film does a better job of suggesting that time is an illusion . . .
You just articulated what I couldn't O0

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

« #3409 : May 19, 2008, 09:48:45 AM »

The Pride and the Passion (1956)  8/10  Sinatra does a cheesy Spanish accent and wears a funny wig but I enjoyed it.  Cary Grant is a British officer helping Spanish guerillas transport a huge cannon across Spain to fight Napoleon's forces in Avila.  And Sophia Loren was hot, especially in the dancing scene. >:D

Capricorn One (1978)  7/10  Parts of it stretch imagination and there's some huge plotholes, but it was entertaining.  A Mars landing is secretly called off with the three astronauts put in isolation for months.  When the reentry goes badly with no one on board, the world thinks they're dead.  So what to do...what to do...MURDER of course! ;D

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

« #3410 : May 19, 2008, 09:49:16 AM »

the Great Escape (1963): 8/10
finally got to see this  :)

Panache

« #3411 : May 19, 2008, 11:49:54 AM »

got a clip from Begotten- God disembowels himself

this flick is like Erasrhead jus wierd

http://www.freewebs.com/fistful-of-leone/

« : July 26, 2008, 02:32:48 PM Panache »
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #3412 : May 19, 2008, 02:47:13 PM »

I tried to watch My Name is Nobody today. I saw parts in between when I was sleeping. Awful movie.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #3413 : May 19, 2008, 04:35:46 PM »

I tried to watch My Name is Nobody today. I saw parts in between when I was sleeping. Awful movie.
Great moments include:

Barbershop intro
Navajo cemetery
Pool table discussion
Fonda vs. The Wild Bunch
The Final Shootout

Great performance:

Fonda

Great soundtrack:

Morricone

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #3414 : May 20, 2008, 04:12:21 AM »

To be honest, I didn't like My Name is Nobody as much as I expected either. Somehow it feels confusing.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #3415 : May 20, 2008, 05:24:35 AM »

I suppose I didn't expect it to be a comedy with badly done speeded up camera work.
I did. MNIN is probably my favorite non-Leone SW.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #3416 : May 20, 2008, 05:37:01 AM »

I'll give you:
Barbershop intro
Navajo cemetery
Pool table discussion

These two:
Fonda vs. The Wild Bunch
The Final Shootout

Are extraordinarily underwhelming.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #3417 : May 20, 2008, 10:32:27 AM »

The Philadelphia Story - 8/10 - In honor of James Stewart's birthday, and the fact that God and Netflix apparently don't want me to watch The Stunt Man anytime soon... Watched this on TCM today. It was a pretty good screwball comedy, although not as frentic and broad as my favorites. Katharine Hepburn is actually growing on me, something which a few pictures ago I'd never had thought possible. :o Stewart is fun although Cary Grant doesn't have a lot to do. It was pretty darn good on the whole, at least enough for an 8.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #3418 : May 20, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »

These two:
1. Fonda vs. The Wild Bunch
2. The Final Shootout
Are extraordinarily underwhelming.
1. Try watching it next time with the sound on
2. You either enjoy the gag with the photographer or you don't

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #3419 : May 20, 2008, 05:01:43 PM »

1. Of course I was watching it muted up until now Jenkins! It couldn't possibly be that it was a lame idea and/or poorly executed. :D
2. I found the gag funny, but not enough to commend the scene in question as brilliant.

: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 1335  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines