Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2021, 08:30:26 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 1339
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4254148 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #3495 : May 29, 2008, 06:09:36 PM »

To me it's moot, as Moore stole most of his concept for Harlan Ellison's story "'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman." Those who don't know the history of their literature are doomed to repeat it.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3496 : May 29, 2008, 06:19:53 PM »

Scarlet Street 9/10, (1945) this was one of those Noirs where you never quite were sure which way it was going, kept me interested throughout, it was great, Dir, Fritz Lang, with Edward G. Robinson, Joan Benett, Dan Duryea. rent & check it out on Netflix!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3497 : May 29, 2008, 06:23:01 PM »

My Ten Wanted Men review pretty much agree with Peacemaker

Typical 1950's B western, Director H. Bruce Humberstone, shows a few flashes of inspiration, there as some great landscape shots including a beautiful set piece of a cattle herd crossing a river, and a final gun battle where dynamite plays a big part.  The rest of the film is a good example why America was ripe for Sergio Leone's Westerns.

Almost everyone is immaculately dressed, I saw one hat with a sweat stain, no dust on clothes, no scraggley beards, Skip Homeier looks really out of place in this one. Basically what intrigued me initially into seeing this was the supporting cast especially Richard Boone minus his mustache playing an irrational baddie in obsessional love with a young Mexican girl, who runs to the John Stewart (Scott) ranch for protection. It sounds ridiculous and it is. Wick Campbell (Boone) hires 10 men to start a war with Stewart, Lee Van Cleef is one of them in a part where he's pretty good, but he unfortunately is one of the first to get killed off at the big conclusion. Leon Gordon is the real hard case in this film he even double crosses Boone. Dennis Weaver puts in an apperance as town sheriff.

Not worth a look unless you really like Boone & Van Cleef, their best bad ass days were still ahead of them.

« : May 31, 2008, 06:58:01 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #3498 : May 29, 2008, 07:06:52 PM »

Scarlet Street 9/10, (1945) this was one of those Noirs where you never quite were sure which way it was going, kept me interested throughout, it was great, Dir, Fritz Lang, with Edward G. Robinson, Joan Benett, Dan Duryea. rent & check it out on Netflix!
This is very good, I agree. Probably succeeds so well because it is a remake of a Renoir film, La Chienne (1931).

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3499 : May 30, 2008, 03:00:16 AM »

Yes I did read about that, I think the Renoir film was more of a tragic-comedy though if I remember right.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #3500 : May 30, 2008, 05:50:00 AM »

I forgot that I watched another film yesterday, which is indicative of its memorability.

Lady Jane - 7/10  - This is a film about Lady Jane Grey, who, for those of you who aren't up on your Tudor history, was the cousin of Henry VIII who ruled England for nine days in 1553 between the death of Edward VI and the takeover by Queen Mary. This is a reasonable adaptation of the story, but completely unremarkable IMO, and my rating is probably a bit generous. The cinematography is very dark and murky to no clear purpose (perhaps it's just because it was made in the '80s), which bugged me a lot. Our leads are played by a very young and very charming Helena Bonham Carter, who is simply fabulous, and Cary Elwes, who is also quite good. The supporting cast is decent - Richard Johnson, Patrick Stewart, Jane Lapotaire, John Wood, Sarah Kestelman, and Alec Guinness's son Matthew, to name a few - the story is interesting, direction is okay, but there's nothing really memorable here. Some of the middle sections with Carter and Elwes were well-done, as was Carter's execution, but everything else was rather blase. Is my rating being too generous? Perhaps, but I don't want to fault it too much for being a product of its era.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #3501 : May 30, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »

My Ten Wanted Men review pretty much agree with Peacemaker

Typical 1950's B western, Director H. Bruce Humberstone, shows a few flashes of inspiration, there as some great landscape shots including a beautiful set piece of a cattle herd crossing a river, and a final gun battle where dynamite plays a big part.  The rest of the film is a good example why America was ripe for Sergio Leone's Westerns.

Almost everyone is immaculately dressed, I saw one hat with a sweat stain, no dust on clothes, no scraggley beards, Skip Homeier looks really out of place in this one. Basically what intrigued me initially into seeing this was the supporting cast especially Richard Boone minus his mustache playing an irrational baddie in obsessional love with a young Mexican girl, who runs to the John Stewart (Scott) ranch for protection. It sounds ridiculous and it is. Wick Campbell (Boone) hires 10 men to start a war with Stewart, Lee Van Cleef is one of them in a part where he's pretty good, but he unfortunately is one of the first to get killed off at the big conclusion. Leon Gordon is the real hard case in this film he even double crosses Boone. Dennis Wesver puts in an apperance as town sheriff.

Not worth a look unless you really like Boone & Van Cleef, their best bad ass days were still ahead of them.

You have Encore Western channel too, eh?   O0

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

« #3502 : May 30, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »

taxi driver (1976): 9/10
second veiwing

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #3503 : May 30, 2008, 08:42:49 PM »

taxi driver (1976): 9/10
second veiwing

Good man. O0

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #3504 : May 31, 2008, 02:23:32 AM »

American Psycho (2000) - 4/10
This seems to be a hit or miss movie, to me it definitely was a miss. I thought I could take all the campyness but then the "twist" came and I thought I couldn't finish it. I blame the obviously untalented director. With a better director (and some changes in the script) this movie could have been great. The basic idea is good although a bit old by now, Christian Bale does the best he can to save the movie, but moments that should be dramatic turn out just campy :P

« : May 31, 2008, 02:25:33 AM moviesceleton »

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3505 : May 31, 2008, 06:55:53 AM »

Peace, Ten Wanted Men I rented on Netflix

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #3506 : May 31, 2008, 07:45:18 AM »

Peace, Ten Wanted Men I rented on Netflix

Oh yeah, I got that too. Just watched Day of the Outlaw a few nights ago thanks to Netflix.

Which reminds me...

DAY OF THE OUTLAW - 5/5

Now one of my favorite American westerns. How can you go wrong with anything that has Burl Ives in it? Amazing scenery and gripping story. A presage to the The Great Silence.

I think the ending should've been more downbeat to give the movie a full impact, but it was still great.

« : May 31, 2008, 07:47:02 AM The Peacemaker »

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #3507 : May 31, 2008, 08:19:16 PM »

This seems to be a hit or miss movie, to me it definitely was a miss. I thought I could take all the campyness but then the "twist" came and I thought I couldn't finish it. I blame the obviously untalented director. With a better director (and some changes in the script) this movie could have been great. The basic idea is good although a bit old by now, Christian Bale does the best he can to save the movie, but moments that should be dramatic turn out just campy :P

I dont understand what your trying to say. If it didnt have the campyness and was just a straight horror film it would work? What changes in the script could have been better? Who would have been the better choice as director of the movie?

« : June 01, 2008, 03:12:58 PM Kurug3n »
Panache

« #3508 : June 01, 2008, 08:16:55 AM »

i dint get it eithr, you gave it a higher rate thn i would have- hear peple rave about it al th time, mabe i missed somthing

http://www.freewebs.com/fistful-of-leone/

« : July 26, 2008, 02:43:47 PM Panache »
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #3509 : June 01, 2008, 11:21:39 AM »

Blazing Saddles (1974) 8/10

Comedy classic!

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 1339  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM