Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 04, 2021, 09:38:29 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 1339
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4268245 )
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #3510 : June 01, 2008, 01:55:57 PM »

Wild Is the Wind (1957) - 8/10

Léon (1994) - 7/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #3511 : June 01, 2008, 05:16:07 PM »

Alien vs. Predator -  Not as good as I had heard it was, but still good as far as this hollywood crap goes. Most of the time I couldn't detect what was happening on the screen, because of the fast editing and the scarce light. But I give it 7\10 because of the fast rhythm, the lack of sentimental sub-plots and of sloppy attempts at giving depths for no apparent reason to characters, which usually mar these pure entertainment products.   

« : June 01, 2008, 05:17:58 PM titoli »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #3512 : June 01, 2008, 06:08:08 PM »

Kagemusha - 8/10

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #3513 : June 01, 2008, 07:42:37 PM »

taxi driver (1976): 9/10
second veiwing

I concur.

Super Fly -- I mainly rented this flick for the music (I'd give the soundtrack a 10/10).  But I found that the movie itself was also pretty slick.  I heard that it was just a thoroughly entertaining, slightly campy, two hour advertisement for Cocaine use.  I found that this movie was actually a lot more intelligent than that, with some a lot of social commentary about the situation of the time.  The main character (Priest) finds himself forced into a certain lifestyle by his socio-economic status, and the whole movie he's trying to get out of that lifestyle.  The movie doesn't glorify the Cocaine Pushin' lifestyle at all!  The lingo was kinda funny too.  I'd give it a 7/10 (tempted to give in an 8 for the tricked out El Dorado).

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #3514 : June 02, 2008, 04:40:30 AM »

If you needed further proof that I am a crazy person... :D

Topaz - 8/10 - Yeah, that's right, the Hitchcock movie that everybody agrees is terrible! I enjoyed it immensely. It's not necessarily a trademark Hitchcock film but as a spy thriller it's top-notch. Lots of great set-pieces, including the opening escape of the defectors and the famous murder scene. The acting is good if unspectacular (John Vernon and Roscoe Lee Browne are exceptions). The ending is a bit lame but there were alternate endings on the disc to make up for that. The suicide ending was the best IMO, but I found all of them to be rather abrupt. Anyway, I think Hitchcock succeeded in creating the anti-Bond here, something he'd utterly failed at with Torn Curtain.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #3515 : June 02, 2008, 06:35:53 AM »

Topaz - 8/10 - Yeah, that's right, the Hitchcock movie that everybody agrees is terrible! I enjoyed it immensely. It's not necessarily a trademark Hitchcock film but as a spy thriller it's top-notch. Lots of great set-pieces, including the opening escape of the defectors and the famous murder scene. The acting is good if unspectacular (John Vernon and Roscoe Lee Browne are exceptions). The ending is a bit lame but there were alternate endings on the disc to make up for that. The suicide ending was the best IMO, but I found all of them to be rather abrupt. Anyway, I think Hitchcock succeeded in creating the anti-Bond here, something he'd utterly failed at with Torn Curtain.
You're all right, Groggy, I don't care WHAT etc. etc. I think you've taken exactly the right approach with this film. If you come to it looking for a lot of Hitchcock touches, you'll be disappointed (although it has its share). If you approach it as a Cold War thriller, lightly based on historical realities (conniving Cubans, feckless French), you can appreciate it as you would an adaptation of Le Carre . . . or Leon Uris. I like the fact there is never a single lead that carries the picture (very unHitchcockian), but that the action keeps being handed off, as if big events actually require an ensemble of characters. And I've always liked the mundane ending, but the arrival of the DVD and the revelation that there were another two to choose from added additional interest (the airport ending works pretty well). I find it interesting that AH shot a very Hitchcockian (and silly) ending, but when it didn't test well he pulled it. He was able, finally, late in his career, to subordinate his intellect to the material he was adapting. Except for Rebecca (where Selznick held his feet to the fire), it was probably the only time he'd done that. This is exactly why most Hitchcock "fans" don't like the film (and as the saying goes, I wish all fandom had a single neck . . . )

It is kind of an anti-Bond film, but there are other varieties out there. If you don't already know them, Grogs, I'd recommend the Harry Palmer films starring Michael Caine: The Ipcress File, Funeral in Berlin, and (with considerable reservation) Billion Dollar Brain.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #3516 : June 02, 2008, 06:46:50 AM »

Well I'm sure Juan will swing by to offer his vehement rage (and maybe a few others), but they can take a long walk off the short pier for all I care. I agree that the duel ending was silly; it might have worked if there'd been actual build-up to it. As it is, it's just sort of there. I didn't hate the airport ending, I just thought it could have been done better. The alternate endings show, probably not much better.

I thought the story was quite interesting, so maybe that was the hooking point for me. Although if the movie had been just dull, I doubt that alone would have persuaded me to watch it. I'm surprised the opening scene doesn't get more praise, I think it's one of the best set-pieces in a Hitchcock film.

Would you, Jenkins, or perhaps someone else, happen to know what the extra 17 minutes in the extended version are?

« : June 02, 2008, 06:51:34 AM Groggy »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #3517 : June 02, 2008, 07:15:36 AM »

If I remember rightly, some scenes just play longer, there are no extra scenes. I think the DVD has a feature that actually compares scenes from the theatrical cut side-by-side with the scenes as they appear with restored footage. Mildly interesting but not really all that different.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #3518 : June 02, 2008, 08:59:26 AM »

WTF??
It ain't no masterpiece y'know.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #3519 : June 02, 2008, 11:24:29 AM »

I saw Topaz in a cinema, saw it again on Tv and always found it lacking the brilliance of other Hitchcock works, even later ones like Frenzy (my favourite) or Family Plot. I remember a pair of scenes and how Vernon looked as sham as can be as the Castrist. I consider it a movie any Hollywood hack could have  made: long, pretentious and mostly boring. In Torn Curtain you had at least the oven scene.  But I'll give it another try if I find a cheap dvd.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #3520 : June 02, 2008, 03:54:37 PM »

All About Eve - 9/10
That's the first time I've given a newly-viewed movie anything higher than an 8 in a long, long time.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #3521 : June 02, 2008, 05:17:38 PM »

I saw Topaz in a cinema, saw it again on Tv and always found it lacking the brilliance of other Hitchcock works, even later ones like Frenzy (my favourite) or Family Plot. I remember a pair of scenes and how Vernon looked as sham as can be as the Castrist.
A very small part of the picture. But why do you say nothing of the ravishing Karin Dor, who gets an equal amount of screen time, so appealing here after the way she was mishandled (bad dye job and all) in You Only Live Twice? But I was forgetting your disdain of beautiful women. Her death scene is famous for its stylization, but AH takes advantage of his material to further sell the sense of a life lost (that is, her appearance is necessarily fleeting in the face of a production with such a large cast and so many set-ups).

I consider it a movie any Hollywood hack could have  made: long, pretentious and mostly boring.

I'll grant you long, but pretentious? Compare it to other Cold War themed pictures of the period and it comes off positively gritty. And it's boring only if you go to the pictures expecting to be told a story in a certain way. It's not a single-situation action thriller, the narrative focus keeps shifting. The defection gives way to the Harlem episode which leads to the Cuban adventure which in turn initiates the hunt for the mole in the French government. Makes a change from the usual solve-the-problem-before-the-bomb-goes-off approach, and I find a bit of variety actually makes life more, not less, interesting.
In Torn Curtain you had at least the oven scene.

And as Groggy has persuasively argued, Topaz has the defection sequence. There are a number of other good set pieces as well: the Roscoe Lee Brown stuff springs immediately to mind. No, titoli, admit it, you saw the Hitchcock name on the package and thought you knew what was inside the box. The old guy pulled a fast one and you've never forgiven him. When you sit down to eat a McHitchcock Burger, you expect at the very least the correct number of pickles!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #3522 : June 03, 2008, 04:34:01 AM »

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl - 8/10 - I feel compelled to raise my rating on this film from a 7 to an 8 considering that upon further review, it's at least as good as the third one, if not better. After the pretentious, bloated sequels filled with illogical, innumerable plot twists, stupid squidfaced bad guys, ridiculous cop-outs, and just plain stupid developments, this movie (which I hadn't seen in going on four years) is a real treat. I still think it's a bit too long but it's got the air of a fun adventure movie without the pretentious baggage of our sequels. Characters are reasonably well-developed, acting is adequate-to-good (and Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow is actually a funny and interesting character), the storyline is interesting, there's a considerable amount of humor (that's actually funny - not too many undead monkey or midget jokes), lots of fun action scenes (only the maelstrom battle in AWE comes close from the sequels to, oh, any of the action scenes in this one), special effects are, if not terribly convincing, then at least acceptably creepy (zombie pirate > fishman), and a nice ending. Come to think of it, reviewing the film I don't see there being any need for sequels except money. The only thing that really came out of the sequels was some character development for a few characters which was interesting but not necessary.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #3523 : June 03, 2008, 08:12:36 AM »

Come to think of it, reviewing the film I don't see there being any need for sequels except money.
Bingo! The first one is absolutely the best of the bunch. It even has an ending.

Insomnia (2002) - 8.5/10
Towards the end it felt like it got watered down on some level...can't tell what that level might be though.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #3524 : June 03, 2008, 09:42:19 AM »

Jenkins, I remember little of the movie and none of the circumstances you mention: I saw it when released and picked it again on tv about 10 years later and I just submitted my epidermic reactions, which are worth what they're worth (though it's rare they deceive me, at least as fas as my current tastes are concerned). That's why I said I'd give it another try. The memorable scene you mention can't remember it at all, so it was not memorable or it passed me by, as Miss Dior (which is only probable as at that time, alas, I didn't know what an ugly woman was). 

: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 1339  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines